+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Africa Cup of Nations

Africa Cup of Nations

Re: Africa Cup of Nations

What if any TV channel is showing it?

I can see why managers/coaches are frustrated by it as it’s every 2 years and played in the middle of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    I can see why managers/coaches are frustrated by it as it’s every 2 years and played in the middle of a season.
    coalmen still deliver in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    coalmen still deliver in the snow
    Don't know if we still do this joke, but whatever...

Racist. Reported.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Perhaps they suspend the season, if applicable, for the duration and clubs go along with it.

I must say, he has a point. It is very much treated as a lesser tournament. I don't think it's race related at all, it's driven by money and attendances, and the fact it's in winter, but it's definitely less respected

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    What if any TV channel is showing it?
    skysports still tbc by the look

Used to enjoy watching it when it was on the BBC for a period (if I’m remembering rightly), shame it doesn’t still do. Remember enjoying un-fancied Zambia winning it in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I must say, he has a point. It is very much treated as a lesser tournament. I don't think it's race related at all, it's driven by money and attendances, and the fact it's in winter, but it's definitely less respected
    I think it's the same for Copa America. European football gets more hype and coverage. I'd like to think it isn't racism but I really don't know.

Don't forget that Wenger has recently proposed a WC every two years. Clubs aren't going to be happy with that surely? Euros every two years too. But that's off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Used to enjoy watching it when it was on the BBC for a period (if I’m remembering rightly), shame it doesn’t still do. Remember enjoying un-fancied Zambia winning it in 2012.
    I really like it as it's great to see matches between African countries that miss out on the WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think it's the same for Copa America. European football gets more hype and coverage. I'd like to think it isn't racism but I really don't know.

Don't forget that Wenger has recently proposed a WC every two years. Clubs aren't going to be happy with that surely? Euros every two years too. But that's off-topic.
    Smacks of FIFA flexing their muscles aided by the other international associations. Making a statement that they run the sport not the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Smacks of FIFA flexing their muscles aided by the other international associations. Making a statement that they run the sport not the clubs.
    I'm so disappointed with Arsene Wenger taking the job with FIFA and even more so with him proposing the WC format. I agree with you about their muscle-flexing. Follow the money.

My personal view is that Club football should take priority over International games. When players like Bruno Manga left to take part in the African tournament, the City invariably suffered by their absence. The City over Wales for me any day, although I still want Wales to win every match - just that bit less than I desire to see the City win their fixtures.

I reckon that I am justified in thinking like this as we are on a Cardiff City message board.

Fact is, this tournament is held mid-season, and any manager losing one or more of their top players is going to be pretty annoyed. Yes, I get that they know of the tournament, and they know it's played mid-season, but they must still be pretty cross that it's not played at some other time.

I guess that when the tournament first began in the 50's, there were hardly any participating players playing in European leagues, so teams weren't affected. Similarly, I think only 1 African team qualified for World Cup finals, so this tournament didn't affect much else.
    Now that this has changed, it would make more sense to move the tournament and to only hold it every 4 years, instead of the current 2.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Nail on the head Splott.
    Spedger

Ian Wright often looks for evidence of potential racism, but in this case he's way off the mark. We are Europeans so it is natural that we would follow the Euros. Yes, there are many Africans (and South Americans) plying their trade in the PL but there is little or no interest in following either the African Cup of Nations or the Copa America. This is a geographical not a racism issue. Why do they always believe that a lack of respect is being shown to African players when it is really a case of indifference to their tournament.

Discrimination at its worse .

Stephen Caulker is going (he only played for England in a friendly)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/59828279

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Fact is, this tournament is held mid-season, and any manager losing one or more of their top players is going to be pretty annoyed. Yes, I get that they know of the tournament, and they know it's played mid-season, but they must still be pretty cross that it's not played at some other time.
    Yes, it’s mid season in Europe but this is an African tournament, why should they be concerned that it’s mid season in another continent? It may interfere with some African league seasons but they may adjust to fit things in.

Football isn’t all about European timetables. I wouldn’t think EUFA consider other continent’s seasons when European tournaments are scheduled. It’s akin to saying it’s no wonder our test cricket side are getting battered because they’re playing in winter.