+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chelsea lose £146 million in financial year.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Chelsea lose £146 million in financial year.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When the Champions League winners end up losing that amount of money, you really do wonder what the end game is for modern day football - how long before ESL mark 2?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59827141
    All fans dream of their club playing the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc., but the supernova wealth and spending of the elite clubs is now having a terrible effect on football finances throughout the PL and Championship, as the effect trickles down to the rest. I'd personally welcome a ESL, though ironically whilst a lot of fans of other PL clubs would agree, it's the fans of the elite clubs who would fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    All fans dream of their club playing the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc., but the supernova wealth and spending of the elite clubs is now having a terrible effect on football finances throughout the PL and Championship, as the effect trickles down to the rest. I'd personally welcome a ESL, though ironically whilst a lot of fans of other PL clubs would agree, it's the fans of the elite clubs who would fight it.
    I appreciate what you mean about welcoming an ESL because my reaction when the original story broke in April was good riddance - in terms of competitiveness, the Premier League would be a much better competition.

I appreciate what you mean about welcoming an ESL because my reaction when the original story broke in April was good riddance - in terms of competitiveness, the Premier League would be a much better competition.
    The Premier League would die a death though, I suspect there's limited interest in watching Leicester and Everton fight it out for the title

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The Premier League would die a death though, I suspect there's limited interest in watching Leicester and Everton fight it out for the title
    Well, perhaps I think differently to other people, but I thought the year Leicester won it was a welcome distraction from the usual boring stuff. I agree that any new league without the ESL six would take a big hit in terms of things like sponsorship and television revenue, but if you were to off er a fan of, say, Palace a choice between seeing your team beat one of the big boys every five or six times they played them or to compete in a league they might just win in very good year for them, I wouldn’t be surprised if a majority opted for the latter - I would if City were in that sort of position.

Well, perhaps I think differently to other people, but I thought the year Leicester won it was a welcome distraction from the usual boring stuff. I agree that any new league without the ESL six would take a big hit in terms of things like sponsorship and television revenue, but if you were to off er a fan of, say, Palace a choice between seeing your team beat one of the big boys every five or six times they played them or to compete in a league they might just win in very good year for them, I wouldn’t be surprised if a majority opted for the latter - I would if City were in that sort of position.
    Oh it was a massive breath of fresh air, but mostly because they beat the big boys, winning it without them takes some of the sheen off

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Oh it was a massive breath of fresh air, but mostly because they beat the big boys, winning it without them takes some of the sheen off
    If an ESL happened there would be an opportunity for reform and to make it more exciting rather than the slog it tends to be for most teams at the moment. It would probably have to do something different to compete with an ESL.