+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chelsea lose £146 million in financial year.

Chelsea lose £146 million in financial year.

When the Champions League winners end up losing that amount of money, you really do wonder what the end game is for modern day football - how long before ESL mark 2?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59827141

Re: Chelsea lose £146 million in financial year.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When the Champions League winners end up losing that amount of money, you really do wonder what the end game is for modern day football - how long before ESL mark 2?

All fans dream of their club playing the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc., but the supernova wealth and spending of the elite clubs is now having a terrible effect on football finances throughout the PL and Championship, as the effect trickles down to the rest. I'd personally welcome a ESL, though ironically whilst a lot of fans of other PL clubs would agree, it's the fans of the elite clubs who would fight it.

This is what I love about the Championship, yes it has its faults but it still feels in touch with the real fans and in particular the working class , the higher end clubs are rich fan and ruler elite clubs .

Feck em.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    All fans dream of their club playing the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc., but the supernova wealth and spending of the elite clubs is now having a terrible effect on football finances throughout the PL and Championship, as the effect trickles down to the rest. I'd personally welcome a ESL, though ironically whilst a lot of fans of other PL clubs would agree, it's the fans of the elite clubs who would fight it.
    I appreciate what you mean about welcoming an ESL because my reaction when the original story broke in April was good riddance - in terms of competitiveness, the Premier League would be a much better competition.

The big clubs of the Premier league Don care about the rest of football

By that I mean the clubs and the armchair fans

The genuine fans of say Chelsea I think are as pissed off with the circus as everybody else

There has to be a salary cap somewhere. I’m no expert in football finances but when you hear about mediocre players earning 250grand a week (and more) at these clubs it makes my stomach turn.
    The premier league is the best of world football so they should set the tone and be pushing for it.
    China tried throwing ridiculous amounts money at players and they shut it down after a few years as it wasn’t sustainable. Barcelona, one of the biggest teams in the world football got themselves right in the shit, same at inter Milan.
    The more and more revenue clubs make from sponsorship and tv rights it just ends up bumping player contracts, greedy owners and those vulture agents.
    It’s a vicious circle and It stinks.

I appreciate what you mean about welcoming an ESL because my reaction when the original story broke in April was good riddance - in terms of competitiveness, the Premier League would be a much better competition.
    The Premier League would die a death though, I suspect there's limited interest in watching Leicester and Everton fight it out for the title

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    There has to be a salary cap somewhere. I’m no expert in football finances but when you hear about mediocre players earning 250grand a week (and more) at these clubs it makes my stomach turn.
    The premier league is the best of world football so they should set the tone and be pushing for it.
    China tried throwing ridiculous amounts money at players and they shut it down after a few years as it wasn’t sustainable. Barcelona, one of the biggest teams in the world football got themselves right in the shit, same at inter Milan.
    The more and more revenue clubs make from sponsorship and tv rights it just ends up bumping player contracts, greedy owners and those vulture agents.
    Barcelona, who have just paid around £50 million for a player.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The Premier League would die a death though, I suspect there's limited interest in watching Leicester and Everton fight it out for the title
    Well, perhaps I think differently to other people, but I thought the year Leicester won it was a welcome distraction from the usual boring stuff. I agree that any new league without the ESL six would take a big hit in terms of things like sponsorship and television revenue, but if you were to off er a fan of, say, Palace a choice between seeing your team beat one of the big boys every five or six times they played them or to compete in a league they might just win in very good year for them, I wouldn’t be surprised if a majority opted for the latter - I would if City were in that sort of position.

They have an insane amount of players though, they could probably just sell a few to recoup that.

maybe the european super league was the best option after all for the elites !

Chelsea have 22 players out on loan....why? It’s ridiculous, some may be on a very high wage that they’re subsidising. A few players are at decent clubs on the continent, players who should be with, and improving, other Premier League clubs but spiteful Chelsea don’t want this, do they. Man City have trumped them though, 29 out on loan, even Man Utd have 14 and, perhaps, for the same reason. Buy ‘em, they’re not quite good enough for us so we’ll ship ‘em abroad just in case Southampton, Everton or Crystal Palace pick ‘em up and improve them.

Squads are of a limited number, why aren’t the total number of players limited? The improvement would filter down, some players seem to spend their careers on loan, never appearing for their parent club and only playing for a club that’s chosen for them. Wages bills would be considerably reduced.

Well, perhaps I think differently to other people, but I thought the year Leicester won it was a welcome distraction from the usual boring stuff. I agree that any new league without the ESL six would take a big hit in terms of things like sponsorship and television revenue, but if you were to off er a fan of, say, Palace a choice between seeing your team beat one of the big boys every five or six times they played them or to compete in a league they might just win in very good year for them, I wouldn’t be surprised if a majority opted for the latter - I would if City were in that sort of position.
    Oh it was a massive breath of fresh air, but mostly because they beat the big boys, winning it without them takes some of the sheen off

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Totally agree. IMO players' salaries and the murky world of mafia-like leeches that attach themselves to these high earners is they main problem. Capping salaries is the solution, but it will not happen.
    Spedger

Oh it was a massive breath of fresh air, but mostly because they beat the big boys, winning it without them takes some of the sheen off
    If an ESL happened there would be an opportunity for reform and to make it more exciting rather than the slog it tends to be for most teams at the moment. It would probably have to do something different to compete with an ESL.

Totally agree. It was only refreshing because they won the league with the top clubs competing in it. Nobody would have showered Leicester with plaudits if they edged Everton, Palace or Wolves for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Totally agree. It was only refreshing because they won the league with the top clubs competing in it. Nobody would have showered Leicester with plaudits if they edged Everton, Palace or Wolves for the title.
    Perhaps in future Cardiff will get the plaudits for edging out Leicester and Everton to win the Poundshop Premierish League. It's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Exactly. Anyone who thinks that the 'big six' buggering off would be good for the Premier League needs their head examined.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Exactly. Anyone who thinks that the 'big six' buggering off would be good for the Premier League needs their head examined.
    it wouldn't be good for the championship either, our TV revenue would dwindle rapidly

I think for the good of the game and it's sustainability we might all have to set our sights lower and go back to where it was before the Premier League started.

It probably sounds naive and anachronistic now but local players playing for their local clubs used to work, and with no little success.

If I had my way I'd go back to a system with the bulk of the money taken out of it and encouraging local players for local clubs. As for the ESL I would like that to be confined to an exhibition status like the Harlem Globetrotters used to be and without prizes. If the "elite" clubs then yearned for proper competition they could embrace the local sentiment and strip out the big money for their players in that competition.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It isn't that good at the moment and no-one else is getting anywhere with reform.

There’s not really a big six at the moment though, is there.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Chelsea have 22 players out on loan....why? It’s ridiculous, some may be on a very high wage that they’re subsidising. A few players are at decent clubs on the continent, players who should be with, and improving, other Premier League clubs but spiteful Chelsea don’t want this, do they. Man City have trumped them though, 29 out on loan, even Man Utd have 14 and, perhaps, for the same reason. Buy ‘em, they’re not quite good enough for us so we’ll ship ‘em abroad just in case Southampton, Everton or Crystal Palace pick ‘em up and improve them.

Squads are of a limited number, why aren’t the total number of players limited? The improvement would filter down, some players seem to spend their careers on loan, never appearing for their parent club and only playing for a club that’s chosen for them. Wages bills would be considerably reduced.
    easy to overcome though, rich owners just buy teams I other countries and just buy players with each club, so owner X buys a team in the Croatian league to keep players, the players will be happy earning decent money and safe in the knowledge that they might gt a chance ( on loan at 1st ) to play for a better team in Owner X's roster

There should be a salary cap and a limit on the number of players a club can employ. Chelsea have a ridiculous number of players on their books.