+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: When The Fun Stops, Stop..............Really?

When The Fun Stops, Stop..............Really?

It seems to be on the increase, betting advertisements in football. I was watching a game on TV over xmas and was surprised at the differing betting advertisements, both during play on the surrounding boards and during the adverts. I have a flutter sometimes and once or twice I've been tempted to 'chase' my money. The only difference with me I'm talking £20 max, others however are chasing 10 or 100 times as much. With so much misery associated with betting, loss of any financial stability, loss of assets, loss of marriage and even people taking their own lives, surely it can't go on ? Paul Merson is one of a few high profile people to tell his story and the absolute misery he has gone through, however the carrot dangling adverts continue. I wonder how many clubs are 'propped up' by sponsorship and advertisements involving betting companies?

Will the mental health and welfare of fans and viewers, ever outweigh the millions generated from this ? Tobacco advertisement stopped some time ago, how likely is this to follow ?

Re: When The Fun Stops, Stop..............Really?

The change in television advertising since I was a kid is staggering, a girl in a hot air balloon promoting Nimble bread to the strains of Honeybus, a young lad pushing an order bike up a cobbled hill delivering Hovis to the new world symphony. Consulate were as cool as a mountain stream, daredevil heroics were all because the lady loved Milk Tray etc etc.

Now it’s gambling this, betting that and erectile dysfunction

Fun stopped a long-time ago .

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The change in television advertising since I was a kid is staggering, a girl in a hot air balloon promoting Nimble bread to the strains of Honeybus, a young lad pushing an order bike up a cobbled hill delivering Hovis to the new world symphony. Consulate were as cool as a mountain stream, daredevil heroics were all because the lady loved Milk Tray etc etc.

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Bingo!
    You foxy f*cker

Ah, she flies like a bird in the sky-y-y-y, she flies like a bird and I wish that she was mine. Circa 1968 I believe, loved it 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Ah, she flies like a bird in the sky-y-y-y, she flies like a bird and I wish that she was mine. Circa 1968 I believe, loved it 👍
    Me too. Fond memories.

(And Nimble was only half the calories as it was half the size of a regular loaf! 🙄)

All I've seen this Christmas is betting and alcohol adverts. Let's keep the masses under control by getting them addicted on throwing their money away.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    All I've seen this Christmas is betting and alcohol adverts. Let's keep the masses under control by getting them addicted on throwing their money away.
    And the ‘ard on ads, don’t forget the ‘ard on ads

And the ‘ard on ads, don’t forget the ‘ard on ads
    Keep the masses quiet by keeping them ard

When the fun stops stop, just say no…it’s like saying to a homeless person just get a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    When the fun stops stop, just say no…it’s like saying to a homeless person just get a house.
    Exactly, if it were that easy they wouldn't have to say anything.

Another celebrity who had well documented gambling problems was the late snooker player Willie Thorne. I think he, Merson and many others share the same character flaw with betting too much. The adverts are to tempt people, just as the ones on TV are for an enormously long list of different lottery games are.

Bingo halls and fruit machines have been around forever. Those like lotteries are gambling as well but seen as a more acceptable and harmless form. But I don't doubt for every Merson and Thorne whose weakness was sports betting there's times thousands of others who can't heat their homes adequately or worse because they're unable to visit their nearest convenience store without buying a scratch card or two which are always strategically positioned at the checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    With so much misery associated with betting, loss of any financial stability, loss of assets, loss of marriage and even people taking their own lives, surely it can't go on ?
    I wonder what sort of percentage of gamblers have genuine problems like the ones you describe? I also wonder what would happen to those people if betting was more stringently regulated and betting adverts were banned from TV? Would it make an appreciable difference?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I wonder what sort of percentage of gamblers have genuine problems like the ones you describe? I also wonder what would happen to those people if betting was more stringently regulated and betting adverts were banned from TV? Would it make an appreciable difference?
    I'd say no - not for anyone who's addicted. You always find a way to get your fix. I always imagine an alcohol ad but substituting heroin or cocaine brands and people portrayed as having a great time and it's all so cool. If someone is predisposed to addictive behavior, then it's going to be destructive no matter what. Ads are just pushers though. So for those people who are predisposed then constant pushing will create more addicts.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Banning cigarette advertising especially at sporting events undoubtedly had an impact on the numbers taking up smoking but it hasn’t stopped people from smoking.

I suppose it’s the same or similar to gambling where those people who participate do so for different reasons and you can only succeed in stopping it altogether if the government stopped taking such a big slice in tax