+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any retro gamers on here?

Any retro gamers on here?

My problem - I'm trying to connect a PS2 to a (fairly) modern HD TV. Just plugging the cables into the back of the TV doesn't work. It needs a converter/connector, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried and tested any of these? There seem to be quite a few out there (ebay and Amazon stock them), but I want one that works out of the box, preferably that will use the TVs speakers as well. So before I start buying and trying, has anyone done this successfully, and if so, what did you use?

Re: Any retro gamers on here?

PS2 was Scart, so a scart to cdmi box would be needed ( think they are about a fiver, just look for PS2 to HDMI )

it might be the settings are for different resolutions, from memory I think default was 50 on PAL, it might need changing to view the screen output

You can use one of these: LiNKFOR PS2 to HDMI but the picture will be poor because the PS2 signal was for CRT Scart sets as blue matt mentioned.

I use an emulator PCSX2 which, for most games, means smooth gameplay using a PS3 gamepad and at 1080p with much better shadows and detail.

If you've got a decent PC you should have no problems.

The other option is to get hold of the PS3 60GB Phat which was backward compatible with PS1/PS2 games though they're not easy to find these days (I have two mothballed for future-proofing rare gameplay).

If you friend request me I can give you more details and help re. setup up as I collect and have a massive collection of retro games (mainly racing/driving). But as I said, emulation is the way to go if you've got the PC specs to run it.

Edit: poor means jaggy compared to PC but still playable.

Just had a thought: does your HDTV have any composite cable inputs (my Sony 4K has which is what I'd use if attaching a PS2 direct - these are the yellow, white, red cables). The HDMI adapter will work but you have to set the PS2 to YCb/PbCr/Pr using the composite cable first. There is a minor improvement in picture quality (but still very playable if you don't sit too close!). The advantage of the HDMI cable is that it's a lot longer than the composite.

If your TV doesn't have any composite inputs (and check because they are often hidden underneath the back panel) then you will have to set the PS2 up by finding an old TV or taking it to someone who has the composite input and setting it up there so you can then take it back and the HDMI adapter will work on your set. If this sounds complicated, it's really not. Just shout if you need any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    You can use one of these: LiNKFOR PS2 to HDMI but the picture will be poor because the PS2 signal was for CRT Scart sets as blue matt mentioned.
    the picture is still acceptable imho, Before I moved I used to have a old 30" ( something ) TV on the wall in my conservatory, it only had SCART inputs ( the TV was that old ) and I used to have to use a HDMI to Scart converter on it to play games when any mates came around ( on either the PS4 or Xbox One ) and the beers flowed and it got a little noisy , we used to play FIFA and COD and while you could tell it wasn't HDMI it was playable

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the picture is still acceptable imho, Before I moved I used to have a old 30" ( something ) TV on the wall in my conservatory, it only had SCART inputs ( the TV was that old ) and I used to have to use a HDMI to Scart converter on it to play games when any mates came around ( on either the PS4 or Xbox One ) and the beers flowed and it got a little noisy , we used to play FIFA and COD and while you could tell it wasn't HDMI it was playable
    Yeah, I agree. I didn't want the OP to think that an HDMI adapter will upscale or anything like that. Like I said, as long as you don't sit too close. Beer will always help too Matt!

Slightly off-topic but as you mentioned the PS4 I noticed an ad for a game on the PS4 last night. It's so bad trying to get a PS5 now that publishers are launching on the PS4. Crazy times.

Im about to install Emu's on a amazon fire lite stick, just cause I saw it on YouTube one night after I had fallen asleep, woke up and it was auto playing

also got a spare 2012 MBP sat here thats not being used ( daughter took it to uni for the 1st week while I upgraded her HD and OS in MBP ) , might turn that into a old arcade machine

also got a old Nintendo Wii that I plan to home-brew to allow games from a USB HD

got a few little projects planned for a rainy day

Im about to install Emu's on a amazon fire lite stick, just cause I saw it on YouTube one night after I had fallen asleep, woke up and it was auto playing

also got a spare 2012 MBP sat here thats not being used ( daughter took it to uni for the 1st week while I upgraded her HD and OS in MBP ) , might turn that into a old arcade machine

also got a old Nintendo Wii that I plan to home-brew to allow games from a USB HD

There's massive mileage in older tech and hacking or jailbreaking systems is great fun. Music to my ears.

Keep this thread live, my boys have donated a PS2 & a PS4 plus a shoebox of games, for me to take back to Poland next week. I’ve been gathering cables, controllers, memory cards for the lone home alone weeks ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Keep this thread live, my boys have donated a PS2 & a PS4 plus a shoebox of games, for me to take back to Poland next week. I’ve been gathering cables, controllers, memory cards for the lone home alone weeks ahead.
    the beauty of old console games is that they are often available for very little money, Ive just done a quick search on Ebay , PS4 games, FIFA 18, £3.45, COD Black ops 4, 12 quid, GTA5, 12 quid, Doom, 11 quid, now the PS4 is a very decent console that still today looks as good as it gets, i will go as far as saying the next gen consoles are not that much of a upgrade

PS2 games, FIFA 09, 3 quid, FIFA 13, 20 quid, GTA ( any of the 3 from the PS2 ) 5 quid

I clicked this thinking it might be a question on how to play Asteroids or games of that ilk

I never got any more consoles after the PS2 and Wii, as never really had the time to invest in games anymore.
    I still have them and occasionally stick ISS Pro Soccer from the PS1 on. That never gets old. It was quite revolutionary at the time, and is still great fun to play, and the commentary still cracks me up. Its simplicity is a breath of fresh air compared to current stuff.
    Still have my Game Boy Advance SP with a special enhanced bright screen I got sent from the states years ago. Mario Kart on that is still one of the best versions and still regular play. As said previously, still loads of legs in these older consoles, if only for a few timeless classics.

PS2 was Scart, so a scart to cdmi box would be needed ( think they are about a fiver, just look for PS2 to HDMI )

it might be the settings are for different resolutions, from memory I think default was 50 on PAL, it might need changing to view the screen output
    There's no Scart socket on a PS2 - well, not on mine, anyway.

Just had a thought: does your HDTV have any composite cable inputs (my Sony 4K has which is what I'd use if attaching a PS2 direct - these are the yellow, white, red cables). The HDMI adapter will work but you have to set the PS2 to YCb/PbCr/Pr using the composite cable first. There is a minor improvement in picture quality (but still very playable if you don't sit too close!). The advantage of the HDMI cable is that it's a lot longer than the composite.
    You mean 'component' cables - where you have the five individual cables? If so, yes I have that, but how do you set the PS2 to Ycb etc, if you can't view the screen?

I've done a bit of reading, and watched a few You Tube videos, and most of them go the way of using the five-string component cable, into a powered converter box, and from there via HDMI to the TV. Yes, you need to use 4:3 ratio, rather than 16:9, but they all seem to think this is a good solution.
    There's still the issue of re-setting the PS2 output to YCb/etc. How do you do that without a screen?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    but how do you set the PS2 to Ycb etc, if you can't view the screen?

I remember a video mode reset, but couldn't remember what, I googled it

turn on

wait 10 seconds - 20 seconds

push [down] [x] (this brings you to system settings)

[down] [down] [down] [x] (this brings you to component video selection)

push right then X

I remember a video mode reset, but couldn't remember what, I googled it

turn on

wait 10 seconds - 20 seconds

push [down] [x] (this brings you to system settings)

[down] [down] [down] [x] (this brings you to component video selection)

push right then X
    Thanks for this, but I still can't see how you do this without a screen?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Thanks for this, but I still can't see how you do this without a screen?
    Just do it with the gamepad 'blind'. It will work. Then you'll be set for the HDMI link cable if you decide to go that way.

Just do it with the gamepad 'blind'. It will work. Then you'll be set for the HDMI link cable if you decide to go that way.
    used to be fun entering " secret codes " blind on the controllers to access hidden menu's etc etc

I know you prolly know but anyway I am using my old Macbook to play NES/SNES/PS1/N64/PSP games. It is fairly easy to do and works with wireless controllers

used to be fun entering " secret codes " blind on the controllers to access hidden menu's etc etc
    It's the only way I could beat Bloodrayne's final boss on the PS2. God mode!

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I know you prolly know but anyway I am using my old Macbook to play NES/SNES/PS1/N64/PSP games. It is fairly easy to do and works with wireless controllers
    That's through the emulators I'm guessing. I'm pretty sure there's a good Wii emulator for Mac too.

My son does the same on his mac currently playing ocarina of time master quest pretty solid game by the looks.

Just a quick message to say that I now have the PS2 working through my HDTV. I used the five-string component cable, and then used the instructions given above (after checking them online!) to swap the PS2 output over. it now works, so big thanks to all who responded. Star Wars Battlefront is the best.

Mario Kart on the N64 works very well on my 2012 MBP , just need a controller now, I fancy a SNES controller, so might try a USB SNES copy controller,