+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ron Jones dies.

Ron Jones dies.

Remembered by City fans as a not very popular Managing Director at the club in the eighties, but he was also a very good sprinter.

RIP

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...s-dies-aged-87

Re: Ron Jones dies.

I think it was Ron who made the decision to delay the kick off against a promotion chasing Sunderland (who’d brought thousands) to enable staff to hang signs +50p above the away turnstiles. RIP, as a football man he was a fine athlete.

Met him at the Beverley once. Several players used to drink there too.

I remember him as an integral part of the British relay team of the 60's. Saw him compete at the Welsh Games at Maindy Stadium too.

Team GB is a recent incarnation.
    In 1968 he would have captained Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team.

Pendants corner I know. Its nearly annoying as when people call TV series in the UK seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Team GB is a recent incarnation.
    In 1968 he would have captained Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team.

Pendants corner I know. Its nearly annoying as when people call TV series in the UK seasons
    \\\\\you're not alone! I hate these americanisms coming into our language.

Not only was Ron a part of the British relay team, in 1963 him, David Jones, Berwyn Jones and Peter Radford equalled the world record in the 4 x 110 yards (just over 400m) relay at the White City. I remember the world's best sprinter at the time Bob Hayes just failing to catch Berwyn Jones on the last leg.

First Team

Talking of runners who was the long distance fella who had a sports shop just off Newport Road?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Talking of runners who was the long distance fella who had a sports shop just off Newport Road?

Bernie Plain, sports shop in Clifton St.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bernie Plain, sports shop in Clifton St.
    Four Elms Rd, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Four Elms Rd, wasn't it?
    Got me doubting myself now, my memory puts the shop on Clifton opposite the pub, a bit further up but you’ve thrown a right spanner in the works

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Got me doubting myself now, my memory puts the shop on Clifton opposite the pub, a bit further up but you’ve thrown a right spanner in the works
    I could well be wrong. I went there once when i was a kid as Bernie was an old school mate of the old man. Did us a deal on a pair of Adidas Libero football boots