+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Armed Forces - Elvis Costello

Armed Forces - Elvis Costello

Got it on now, 42 years old. Haven't heard it for ages, lovely stuff !

Re: Armed Forces - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I saw him on that tour at Sophia Gardens. Dave Edmunds joined the band for 'Mystery Dance' for the encore. Got to admit i found Costello and The Attractions rather boring live. I guess there's stuff I like though, that you too would find kack

I chuckled at that. Never saw a gig at Sophia gardens, however I did see U2 at St Davids hall on 'The War Tour'. now there's a band I used to love, but they peaked at The Joshua Tree. Everything after that was average to cack. IMO

I chuckled at that. Never saw a gig at Sophia gardens, however I did see U2 at St Davids hall on 'The War Tour'. now there's a band I used to love, but they peaked at The Joshua Tree. Everything after that was average to cack. IMO
    I saw Costello two times prior to that as well, In the Top Rank in '77 and '78. Only went along as my mates from school were into him. Never the most exciting as regards a live act.

I totally agree 100% with what you say about U2, although there was some good stuff on Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby wasn't bad. Not played any of their stuff for 25 years+ so not sure I would like any of it anymore to be honest

A great album.

I wasn't that much of a fan at that stage. I really took notice with the Almost Blue and Punch the Clock albums, both of which I thought were great.

did blue oyster cult play the gardens?

hope you cancelled olivers army

Fantastic album. I had the first pressing with free postcards and the unusual fold-out sleeve. I really regret letting that go now. Even though I loved that record and still do, I kind of lost interest in Elvis Costello after that. I found Get Happy disappointing and when Almost Blue came out my 16 year-old brain just couldn't relate.

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    hope you cancelled olivers army
    Elvis Costello has said enough to get himself canceled altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    My memory tells me they did. Although I never saw them there, but in St David's hall, a few years later in 1985. With, I think female 3 piece rock band 'Rock Goddess' as support

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    My memory tells me they did. Although I never saw them there, but in St David's hall, a few years later in 1985. With, I think female 3 piece rock band 'Rock Goddess' as support
    it was them or The tubes i saw there. Can't quite remember

Thought Elvis Costello (and Rod Stewart) were an embarrassment on theRoyal Variety Performance

They did. I think it was around the same time. Sophia Gardens was an absolutely appalling venue but became quite popular. Even when sold out it was only about half full.

it was them or The tubes i saw there. Can't quite remember
    Yes, The Tubes did play there as well. Sometime around 1979 I think

Alison from the excellent My Aim Is True is exceptional, as is the Album.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Fantastic album. I had the first pressing with free postcards and the unusual fold-out sleeve. I really regret letting that go now. Even though I loved that record and still do, I kind of lost interest in Elvis Costello after that. I found Get Happy disappointing and when Almost Blue came out my 16 year-old brain just couldn't relate.
    And the free live EP remember! I still have all my vinyl 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    And the free live EP remember! I still have all my vinyl 👍
    Ditto… his first 3 albums still more than test the passing of time. Punch the Clock was an excellent album and is the one I play most often now of the 4

In my opinion, he's one of the most under-rated performers of the last forty years. I've been a fan since the late seventies, and although his career has waned in recent years, he's still up there with the best. For fifteen or so years, he produced an album every year, and very few were less than brilliant. I'd put Armed Forces up there, but Punch the Clock is better, also Imperial Bedroom, and Brutal Youth. He has a habit of using a whole album to experiment, so you got country (King of America), or blues (Almost Blue). He'd also pack them in, so records like Trust or Get Happy would have twenty or more tracks. Recent albums have been been spaced apart more, but he still turns out the good ones.
    I've seen him six or seven times live, and have never been disappointed. Sure, he was better in the early years - the Punch the Clock tour was an absolute stormer - and he's become a sort of touring greatest hits of late, but he still kicks most performers of his era off the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    In my opinion, he's one of the most under-rated performers of the last forty years. I've been a fan since the late seventies, and although his career has waned in recent years, he's still up there with the best. For fifteen or so years, he produced an album every year, and very few were less than brilliant. I'd put Armed Forces up there, but Punch the Clock is better, also Imperial Bedroom, and Brutal Youth. He has a habit of using a whole album to experiment, so you got country (King of America), or blues (Almost Blue). He'd also pack them in, so records like Trust or Get Happy would have twenty or more tracks. Recent albums have been been spaced apart more, but he still turns out the good ones.
    I've seen him six or seven times live, and have never been disappointed. Sure, he was better in the early years - the Punch the Clock tour was an absolute stormer - and he's become a sort of touring greatest hits of late, but he still kicks most performers of his era off the stage.
    Yes, I saw him on that tour in Zürich, and he was brilliant. Oddly, I don't think I've seen him live since.