+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nine games in

Nine games in

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Mick McCarthy's first nine games this season - Won 3, Drawn 2, Lost 4
    Steve Morison's first nine games this season - Won 3, Drawn 2, Lost 4

MM Goals for 12, Goals against 14
    SM Goals for 13, Goals against 16

Not that much different. Let's hope Steve's results don't carry on mimicking Mick's, or we could be in trouble.

Re: Nine games in

Let's not forget the nine games that preceded Morrison's first game. For me, there has been some improvement. I think we will survive, but there is a massive job ahead of us this summer.

after 9 games we were 13th

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post

Not that much different. Let's hope Steve's results don't carry on mimicking Mick's, or we could be in trouble.
    That’s not my recollection of McCarthy’s start. I though we went unbeaten for something like 10 games and that we also had there a long winning sequence of 6 or 7?

Edit …sorry. Just realised you were talking about this season. Was wishful thinking that McCarthy wasn’t here for the start of this season

Performances have improved somewhat.. certainly ball retention and passing.

I also think it's a difficult comparison when you consider the last two games we were down to 10 men for 45 minutes in each game.

I am not saying we would have beaten SU or Bournemouth, but we may have nipped a draw in one or two of those games.

For me the big issue is not so much Morisons team selection or tactics, it is his lack of options going forward, still limited creativity and the general slowness of the squad.... Probably the most unbalanced side I have seen... and that is no fault of the current manager or coaches at the club.

Sadly I can't see it being hugely addressed this month... the best we can hope for is a loan or picking up a released player... I do feel we are at a major risk of going down unless we get some reinforcements though.

I see some dreamers on the other board calling for Tan to sell the club or invest in players..... NO ONE will buy us from Tan while we have court cases outstanding with liabilities (on the club) in excess of 20 £million. Additionally while those court cases are unresolved there is no way Tan is gonna put his hand in his pocket... I am not sure even if he is allowed to in terms of football fair play. Worst case scenario is we lose all cases and we have to be placed into administration. Best case scenario is we win the cases and by the summer can start rebuilding.

The reality is likely to be somewhere in the middle. I personally can't see us winning the Sala case... this is an appeal to a case we have already lost, so very limited chance of success.

Tricky times Bluebirds, tricky times.

The way Morison wants us to play will be restricted with the squad we have.
    I'd like to see him bring in two or three players who will suit his style of play..
    Longer term i think Morison gives us more hope than McCarthy

Let's hope Steve's results don't carry on mimicking Mick's, or we could be in trouble.
    When Morison took over, City were 21st in the table, two points above the relegation zone.

Nine games later, City are 20th in the table, three points above the relegation zone.

It's progress of sorts. Having said that, if Reading hadn't been deducted six points, City would still be 21st.

It's interesting looking at that run of eight straight defeats under McCarthy in retrospect. That run included defeats to the teams who are currently 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the table.

It wasnt just the run of defeats it was the bonkers selection of 5 centre halves and the manner of defeats.

Hammered by a poor Swansea side for starters.

We made Jamie Paterson a very average Championship player look like someone who should be a PL player.

McCarthy completely lost it.

We didnt know where the next point was coming from. So Morison has a similar start to McCarthy. But he inherited as well as a poor unbalanced squad but also shot of confidence and hes trying to get a new style of play.

I thought we were relegation certainties. Now id say we are slightly favoured to stay up.

Id be more confident if we could get a couple of loanees to boost us though.

4th bottom and hes done his job.

I was really impressed with him. The treatment of Isaak Davies though has put him down a lot in my opinion of him.