+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any other weather nuts on here ?

Any other weather nuts on here ?

I've got to admit that I'm rather obsessed with extreme weather and love checking BBC weather forecasts for far flung parts of the world. Anyone else on here partake in this rather odd activity ?

If you're interested, check out Aomori in Japan for snowfall, as it is probably the snowiest city on Earth. This time of year, there's ridiculous amounts of snow falling almost every day. I'd love to visit there in the winter months as it's not excessively cold. If you like the cold, check out Yakutsk in Russia. It's a balmy -43°C today. I have no desire to visit there anytime soon.

Makes you realise how clement our weather is, Cardiff in particular. Very little, if any snow. Never that cold. No decent thunderstorms. Aomori here I come !

Re: Any other weather nuts on here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I've got to admit that I'm rather obsessed with extreme weather and love checking BBC weather forecasts for far flung parts of the world. Anyone else on here partake in this rather odd activity ?

If you're interested, check out Aomori in Japan for snowfall, as it is probably the snowiest city on Earth. This time of year, there's ridiculous amounts of snow falling almost every day. I'd love to visit there in the winter months as it's not excessively cold. If you like the cold, check out Yakutsk in Russia. It's a balmy -43°C today. I have no desire to visit there anytime soon.

Makes you realise how clement our weather is, Cardiff in particular. Very little, if any snow. Never that cold. No decent thunderstorms. Aomori here I come !
    Used to be more snow back in the day, climate change is going to well and truly **** us.

The bbc weather isn’t very accurate, you want to check local weather for those places. I recall checking the bbc one when I’m in far flung places and it was often incorrect and just generic for that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The bbc weather isn’t very accurate, you want to check local weather for those places. I recall checking the bbc one when I’m in far flung places and it was often incorrect and just generic for that time of year.
    I find this quite good .
    https://www.accuweather.com/

My gf is in Cebu Ph. They had a typhoon on the 16th of Dec she is still without electricity or running water. So i'm pretty interested in the weather

Warmest New Year’s Eve on record in the UK apparently.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I find this quite good .
    LOL. Accuweather just repackages the National Weather Service's forecasts.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    15C bonkers

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I find this quite good .
    Wunderground is the best in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    LOL. Accuweather just repackages the National Weather Service's forecasts.
    Its very well packaged then , it does me fine for its accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Glad it's mild - It means I can turn the thermostat down a bit.
    Forecasting in this country is notoriously difficult. Changeable climate, prevailing south-westerlies fighting with Azores or Siberian anti-cyclones and plenty of mountains creating umpteen microclimates.
    For a weather nut it's brilliant, for a forecaster it's about as tricky a location as it gets to get right.

I occassionally check out the weather from places I've been or places people I'm connected to have lived. I was once in a relationship with a girl from Chelyabinsk in Russia. It's pretty cold there this time of year, 14F today. Once I looked at the weather there and the conditions were "smoke". She told me that there were peat bogs that catch fire and create a smoky fog all over the city. I've never been there, but I checked it out on google earth once. Looks pretty grim.

The weather reports when I go to the states always amaze me, particularly in the gulf in Clearwater. They have this klystron 9 satellite
    (https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/radar) which is so accurate it’s unreal, if it says you might get a bit of rain at 4pm it’s usually bang on. Texted me a hurricane alert once and few minutes later a mini one blew through for an hour…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The weather reports when I go to the states always amaze me, particularly in the gulf in Clearwater. They have this klystron 9 satellite
    (https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/radar) which is so accurate it’s unreal, if it says you might get a bit of rain at 4pm it’s usually bang on. Texted me a hurricane alert once and few minutes later a mini one blew through for an hour…..
    I use the Dark Skies weather app. It's uncanny. It'll predict something like "rain in 9 minutes" and it's almost always correct. I don't know what the TV weather forecasts are like in the UK these days, but here if there's a storm coming we get all these "models" predicting rainfall, snowfall, hurricane tracking etc. It's amazing. In the summer we get warm, moist air coming up from the south. In the winter if the jet stream dips we get freezing, dry air coming down from the north. It's weird that in November and December our weather can be very similar to the UK. Mild, slightly damp. But come January and February it's a whole different animal. The next three months are my least favorite of the year. That reminds me, I'd better go and prime the snow blower and fill my portable petrol tank.