+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Izaak Davies

Re: Izaak Davies

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Morison hasn't given the youth more first team game time than McCarthy.

If we discount Ciaron Brown and Mark Harris, who are both 23, the number of league starts for each of the club's young players this season is as follows (starts under McCarthy first):

9 + 0 - Joel Bagan
    3 + 0 - Sam Bowen
    5 + 5 - Rubin Colwill
    0 + 3 - Isaak Davies
    0 + 2 - Kieron Evans
    6 + 10 - Mark McGuinness
    3 + 0 - Tom Sang
    0 + 1 - Chanka Zimba

In his last six games, it's been noticeable that Morison has been consistently selecting the older players ahead of the youngsters. Indeed, he hasn't started any of the kids in his last two games.
    That is partly due to the opposition, bournemouth and west brom are two of the hardest games in the division, so we went with a more defensive minded midfield three.
    Had we been playing a team where we were looking to get on the front foot then the likes of colwill, evans or Davies would have been there.
    Harris is still a youngster too in my eyes

If we discount Ciaron Brown and Mark Harris, who are both 23, the number of league starts for each of the club's young players this season is as follows (starts under McCarthy first):

9 + 0 - Joel Bagan
    3 + 0 - Sam Bowen
    5 + 5 - Rubin Colwill
    0 + 3 - Isaak Davies
    0 + 2 - Kieron Evans
    6 + 10 - Mark McGuinness
    3 + 0 - Tom Sang
    0 + 1 - Chanka Zimba

In his last six games, it's been noticeable that Morison has been consistently selecting the older players ahead of the youngsters. Indeed, he hasn't started any of the kids in his last two games.
    I think Sang, Bowen and Evans would have got more game time if fit.

9 + 0 - Joel Bagan
    3 + 0 - Sam Bowen
    5 + 5 - Rubin Colwill
    0 + 3 - Isaak Davies
    0 + 2 - Kieron Evans
    6 + 10 - Mark McGuinness
    3 + 0 - Tom Sang
    0 + 1 - Chanka Zimba

so it's something like :

Mick - 26 starts from 14 games

Morison - 21 starts from 10 games

I'd say theyve both been equally good at playing the youth.
    and neither had much of a choice about it.

in terms of minutes l, the players you listed clocked up 2352 from 14 games for Mick and 1827 from 10 games for SM.
    that's 168 youth minutes per game for MM and 183 for SM.
    pretty close. I can't imagine any other Cardiff manager is getting near that.

Mick used Bagan the most at 827 minutes, whereas SM used McGuiness the most

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so it's something like :

Mick - 26 starts from 14 games

Morison - 21 starts from 10 games

I'd say theyve both been equally good at playing the youth.
    and neither had much of a choice about it.

in terms of minutes l, the players you listed clocked up 2352 from 14 games for Mick and 1827 from 10 games for SM.
    that's 168 youth minutes per game for MM and 183 for SM.
    pretty close. I can't imagine any other Cardiff manager is getting near that.

Mick used Bagan the most at 827 minutes, whereas SM used McGuiness the most
    The other difference thinking back is it seems to me that Morison seems a little more likely to play the youth in their correct position - not shove them in at wing back.
    And looking at the numbers there were more small cameos under McCarthy (partly because he made subs so bloody late) whereas longer stints under Morrison - i.e. Colwill only played 90 minutes once under Mccarthy - in his last game, whereas he's done a few 90s under morrison already.
    You could certainly argue the case though that Morison has been able to use them BECAUSE McCarthy introduced them more gradually to begin with.

I can't complain about either of them in terms of giving the youth a chance, it is something we should have been doing for the last 20 years.

I'm also glad that the board was firm and decide not to bring in marley watkins too.

That is partly due to the opposition, bournemouth and west brom are two of the hardest games in the division, so we went with a more defensive minded midfield three.
    Had we been playing a team where we were looking to get on the front foot then the likes of colwill, evans or Davies would have been there.
    Harris is still a youngster too in my eyes
    I think 23's pushing it to be considered a youngster to be honest mate, Callum Paterson apart of course

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I think 23's pushing it to be considered a youngster to be honest mate, Callum Paterson apart of course
    in fairness Harris has only been 23 for 1 week, most of those games were when he was 22

in fairness Harris has only been 23 for 1 week, most of those games were when he was 22
    I’m 66 for two more weeks, nothing to do with Harris but gives me an opportunity to throw this in:

He’s been involved in the first team squad for 2 and a half seasons and has played over 30 first team games before Morison took over. He’s hardly in the same bracket as the others mentioned who either Mick or Morison gave their debuts to.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’s been involved in the first team squad for 2 and a half seasons and has played over 30 first team games before Morison took over. He’s hardly in the same bracket as the others mentioned who either Mick or Morison gave their debuts to.
    2 and a half seasons? I thought he was at Wrexham for much of 2019/20? He only really broke into the first team last season when he suddenly appeared against QPR/Luton

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    2 and a half seasons? I thought he was at Wrexham for much of 2019/20? He only really broke into the first team last season when he suddenly appeared against QPR/Luton
    Yeah my mistake, I thought he broke in under Harris. Either way, my point still stands, he’s broken into the first team and played enough games long before Morison for him to be taking any of the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think Sang, Bowen and Evans would have got more game time if fit.
    That’s up for debate. He said he “dropped” Evans for Isaac Davies. More negative language he didn’t need to use.

Yeah my mistake, I thought he broke in under Harris. Either way, my point still stands, he’s broken into the first team and played enough games long before Morison for him to be taking any of the credit.
    Technically, he broke in under Warnock against Fulham in the FA cup 1-2 loss at CCS in Jan 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Technically, he broke in under Warnock against Fulham in the FA cup 1-2 loss at CCS in Jan 2017.
    He also played in The Championship that season against Wigan and Huddersfield. Who'd have thought it was Warnock? The reason I checked is I thought I was going mad because I had this vague image of watching him play and Warnock being the manager. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.

Edit: it is because I'm now posting to myself!
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 06-01-22 at 00:26. Reason: Madness

Mark Harris's birthday is in December so he was 18 when he played those three matches in 2017.

Mark Harris's birthday is in December so he was 18 when he played those three matches in 2017.
    We must have had a lot of injuries at the time

Also if we're looking at Morison's man management of youngsters, didn't he start Zimba, haul him off at half time then boot him back to the U23's for the next game and every game since?

Also if we're looking at Morison's man management of youngsters, didn't he start Zimba, haul him off at half time then boot him back to the U23's for the next game and every game since?
    He did. I support Morison but some of his comments and actions have been questionable recently. Bit surprised at how well Harris was sent back to us by Wrexham as presumably they though he wasn’t good enough.

And said he wasn’t good enough, lost the ball every time he had it.etc, etc

Why he needs to share this with the media I don’t know. By all means go through it with the young players, where they went wrong, what they can do better.etc it’s all part of their development but I really can’t understand why he needs to stamp his authority on them in public too. Not least because he doesn’t do it with the senior players.

And said he wasn’t good enough, lost the ball every time he had it.etc, etc

Why he needs to share this with the media I don’t know. By all means go through it with the young players, where they went wrong, what they can do better.etc it’s all part of their development but I really can’t understand why he needs to stamp his authority on them in public too. Not least because he doesn’t do it with the senior players.
    He DID start him though, I seem to recall that afterwards he said that with Moore out players such as Collins or Harris were probably expecting to start, but he put Zimba in because he thought he was the best one to play the way he wanted to play.
    It wasn't really working by half time though and we needed to change the game.

From memory Zimba did struggle to get into the game, he also talked about sitting down and going through every minute of the game with him personally afterwards and im sure something along the lines of needing to get the basics right was also mentioned.

Perhaps on a personal level he's a lot more encouraging and supportive towards the youngsters.

It is very unusual, almost jarring, to hear a manager so brutally honest to the media - perhaps Mourihnio when he starts losing the plot, hopefully it doesn't mean he starts to lose the dressing room or hold back the youngsters.
    The things he's said probably aren't far wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Thing is all of those were about seasoned professionals and none of the were as humiliating as "he was more of a hindrance than a help"

Thing is all of those were about seasoned professionals and none of the were as humiliating as "he was more of a hindrance than a help"
    What a awful choice of language

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Having just read those, even Ferguson's seem lame compared to Morison about Davies. I don't really care if he's doing the right thing behind the scenes. He needs to do the right thing in front of the camera/mic too.

As Delm pointed out the comments were about seasoned pros, multi-million pound seasoned pros at that.

Having just read those, even Ferguson's seem lame compared to Morison about Davies. I don't really care if he's doing the right thing behind the scenes. He needs to do the right thing in front of the camera/mic too.

As Delm pointed out the comments were about seasoned pros, multi-million pound seasoned pros at that.
    Yes I think we were all really surprised by how harsh he was, and from the outside it looks like terrible management. We don't see the whole picture though, by far the most important thing is how he interacts with them personally after this - still I hope he gets better at this side of the job if he's going to be here much longer.

Yes I think we were all really surprised by how harsh he was, and from the outside it looks like terrible management. We don't see the whole picture though, by far the most important thing is how he interacts with them personally after this - still I hope he gets better at this side of the job if he's going to be here much longer.