+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Izaak Davies

Re: Izaak Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    I did think on the three occasions he received the ball he had a WBA defender in close attendance and did not have much of a chance to do anything though he was quite easily brushed off the ball. Would be interesting to see him in a wider position getting the ball in a bit of space. Think the jury is still out on him.
    He'll develop, get stronger, more streetwise etc. He's a small lad playing against seasoned pros who are going to knock him about. I'm sure that he will get to understand his own body and what he needs to do in order to negate the physical aspect. That could just be playing off his man a bit or getting clever by drawing fouls etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Maybe that, or maybe their relationship is different due to Morison bringing him through the u23s and all that. Morison was an absolute arse in punishing Davies publicly, but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with putting a little pressure on young player, as long as their is some balance involved. They are in a position to play first team football because they are good enough. They have to take these opportunities and show why they have been picked to play. They are going to make mistakes and show a lack of experience but they must improve and learn quickly if they are going to have good careers in the game. As fans, we sometimes treat them like they were our own children, we can be defensive, but the reality is that they have this golden chance that they've been building towards since they were 8 years old and they have to show improvement very quickly or they'll be out. It's hard and cruel unfortunately.
    Good point about fans treating local lads as though they were one of their own. Bit shitty that Morison did call him out so publicly but, perhaps, football is a bit different than other trades/professions in that every one on that pitch is equal during the 90 minutes. A teenager dropping a bollock on a site or in a factory, although getting the piss sarcastically taken out of him, has the fallback of the mistake being rectified that day, tomorrow even next week. It all happens in 90 minutes in a game, no putting it right in that time. Brutal, but they have to learn quick if they want to make it. Especially in our precarious position at the moment, there’s no, ‘Oh, he’s learning the game, he’ll come good in five or six games time’.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Good point about fans treating local lads as though they were one of their own. Bit shitty that Morison did call him out so publicly but, perhaps, football is a bit different than other trades/professions in that every one on that pitch is equal during the 90 minutes. A teenager dropping a bollock on a site or in a factory, although getting the piss sarcastically taken out of him, has the fallback of the mistake being rectified that day, tomorrow even next week. It all happens in 90 minutes in a game, no putting it right in that time. Brutal, but they have to learn quick if they want to make it. Especially in our precarious position at the moment, there’s no, ‘Oh, he’s learning the game, he’ll come good in five or six games time’.
    Yup, there has to be some balance and an allowance for a young player coming through, but they have to show improvement and progress in a footballing environment. This is top end stuff, and if they progress they're rewarded handsomely for their sacrifices, as they should be. It's an incredibly difficult industry to succeed in.

As fans, we are prone to being sympathetic and showing that caring side towards local lads or young players who come through the ranks in general, and that's a good thing, it shows that we care about them and are willing them to succeed, but make no mistake, Davies wouldn't come off the pitch and think to himself that he's just a youngster etc, these things take time etc, he will be conditioned into thinking excellence at any given moment on a football pitch, whether he's 20 years of age or 30 years of age, and that's how it should be in my opinion if you want to be the best that you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I still think Morison took the easy option having a go at the kid, there have been plenty of utterly shit performances by senior pros and he's not had a go at them individually in public

I think youngsters tend to be under more pressure to perform than the seniors, there's no way a 19 year old putting in the performances Vaulks or Nelson have this season would keep getting picked

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I still think Morison took the easy option having a go at the kid, there have been plenty of utterly shit performances by senior pros and he's not had a go at them individually in public

I think youngsters tend to be under more pressure to perform than the seniors, there's no way a 19 year old putting in the performances Vaulks or Nelson have this season would keep getting picked
    100%. Some of the performances from those two have been downright awful. To be perfectly honest, Moore at times has been dreadful and his body language worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    100%. Some of the performances from those two have been downright awful. To be perfectly honest, Moore at times has been dreadful and his body language worse.
    I'm pretty sure that Moore hasn't wanted to be here all season.

Yeah, that's true enough, but between Moore, Vaulks and Nelson there's close to 900 first team appearances, so, at some point in their careers they must have proved that they were good enough. Maybe not so much now for Vaulks and Nelson, but they will pay with having to move on for less money, it is sort of relative. The young players do have to prove themselves and probably are under more scrutiny from managers and coaches simply because they are at the developmental stage in their career, it could go either way. The three senior players that i mentioned are not, and they aren't going to get any better, their development isn't really under scrutiny any more, although if performance is poor then they'll be dropped or bombed. Different stages of career have different expectation and scrutiny levels in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Moore hasn't wanted to be here all season.
    sulking.

Yeah, that's true enough, but between Moore, Vaulks and Nelson there's close to 900 first team appearances, so, at some point in their careers they must have proved that they were good enough. Maybe not so much now for Vaulks and Nelson, but they will pay with having to move on for less money, it is sort of relative. The young players do have to prove themselves and probably are under more scrutiny from managers and coaches simply because they are at the developmental stage in their career, it could go either way. The three senior players that i mentioned are not, and they aren't going to get any better, their development isn't really under scrutiny any more, although if performance is poor then they'll be dropped or bombed. Different stages of career have different expectation and scrutiny levels in my opinion.
    It's fair enough but I dont think you need to dig out a young player in public. If you're going to dig anyone out, do it to a senior pro who can take it. As Bellamy said, Morison is very thin skinned.

It's fair enough but I dont think you need to dig out a young player in public. If you're going to dig anyone out, do it to a senior pro who can take it. As Bellamy said, Morison is very thin skinned.
    Completely agree, and i've said as much about Morison slating Davies. In my opinion that was so very wrong.

You’re assuming (unless you know personally of course) that Davies can’t take it. They’re professional footballers whose career by nature is in the public eye. Different rules might not need to apply but thousands of people have a view on them and their clubs… and social media platforms exacerbate that so it feels like it’s part of the landscape (rightly or wrongly)…In my professional world I can count on one hand the number of external people that have a view on me 🤣.
    I’m a big Bellamy advocate, and one of the things I admire most about him is that he appears to call it as it is and also appears prepared to stand behind it…. it may even be a contributing factor as to why he’s not here today. Who knows whether Bellamy would have called Davies out like Morison did, but I’m confident both of them have a closer relationship with Davies than any of the posters on here

Better players than him have been dragged off after starting as subs.

He’ll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think Davies has done enough good so far for a tough 5 minute cameo to not matter.
    Exactly. Plenty more to come and far too early to judge.

sulking.
    Moore's head was turned by his agent when Wolves wanted him, he was meant to be right pissed off when we wouldn't accept their offer. It was his opportunity of a big Premiership payday in his late 20's, can't blame him really as we'd all feel the same.

What a mental thread. Talk about over reaction.

He was subbed on in the 86th minute ffs.

What were people expecting in the 4/5 minutes the ball was in play?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    What a mental thread. Talk about over reaction.

He was subbed on in the 86th minute ffs.

What were people expecting in the 4/5 minutes the ball was in play?
    I don’t know if you were at the game but there was 5 mins of injury time and Davies was very involved including 2 very good chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I don’t know if you were at the game but there was 5 mins of injury time and Davies was very involved including 2 very good chances.
    There was 4 minutes added. The ball was in play for about 5 minutes of the 8 minutes he was on the pitch.

A young lad learning his trade having recently made the step up from the u23.
    He was up against the experienced defenders of a top four team for around ten minutes.
    What do some fans expect of him?
    The boy is doing himself , the club and his family proud.
    I just wish some fans would stop expecting a young Cristiano Ronaldo type of appearance everytime one of our young players comes on.

There was 4 minutes added. The ball was in play for about 5 minutes of the 8 minutes he was on the pitch.
    And you were timing it! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    And you were timing it! Lol
    Yeah whilst you were picking faults with a kid because he wasn’t Lionel Messi.

Yeah whilst you were picking faults with a kid because he wasn’t Lionel Messi.
    Genuine question JR. What did you think about Morison's comments after the Bournemouth game? Do you think it was right? Personally, I wasn't impressed with him publicly chastising Davies because I'm not a 'stick' kind of person and tend to prefer a pocketful of carrots but is there anything to be gained with that approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Genuine question JR. What did you think about Morison's comments after the Bournemouth game? Do you think it was right? Personally, I wasn't impressed with him publicly chastising Davies because I'm not a 'stick' kind of person and tend to prefer a pocketful of carrots but is there anything to be gained with that approach?
    it was surprisingly harsh, and not his best interview overall but we don't know what's been said in private.

and they did know each other from the u23s so it might not have been as bad as it seemed from the outside

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Disgraceful comments. Davies has played a handful of games, mostly positive, didn’t need a public slating like that. If he was a player who needed a kick up the backside like Bacuna then could understand it but a young kid, just starting out? Absolutely no need. If Morison has got any ambition of having a management career he’s going to need to improve his man management skills.

I’ve heard Morison go after 4 players, all youngsters. Haven’t seen him dig any senior players out like he’s dug out Davies, Zimba and Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it was surprisingly harsh, and not his best interview overall but we don't know what's been said in private.
    Regardless of what was said in private, to do that to a young kid just staring out who’s only played what 4/5 first team games? Completely and utterly wrong.

The language used was appalling

Regardless of what was said in private, to do that to a young kid just staring out who’s only played what 4/5 first team games? Completely and utterly wrong.

The language used was appalling
    could be exactly what he needed, maybe Morison has high expectations of him because he knows how good he could be