+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Izaak Davies

Re: Izaak Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes I think we were all really surprised by how harsh he was, and from the outside it looks like terrible management. We don't see the whole picture though, by far the most important thing is how he interacts with them personally after this - still I hope he gets better at this side of the job if he's going to be here much longer.
    I’m in the same place (or similar it seems) as you. There may be (maybe not) a lot more to it but I’m not going to quickly join a kangaroo court based on the relativey little I know.

As for the Ferguson comments on them all being ‘seasoned pro’s’… although Jonny Evans was only 22 when it happens…. then I don’t see the relevance, unless of course people become better able to deal with the mental side if things with age… I’d suggest there is plenty of evidence out there to show that that is probably not the case

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’m in the same place (or similar it seems) as you. There may be (maybe not) a lot more to it but I’m not going to quickly join a kangaroo court based on the relativey little I know.

As for the Ferguson comments on them all being ‘seasoned pro’s’… although Jonny Evans was only 22 when it happens…. then I don’t see the relevance, unless of course people become better able to deal with the mental side if things with age… I’d suggest there is plenty of evidence out there to show that that is probably not the case
    Yeah but the Jonny Evans thing was a coach shouting at a player from the sideline, not humiliating him in the press, very different in my opinion.

I do get your point about not joining a kangaroo court though, it's just I think our manager comes across as very touchy and a bit too quick to throw people under the bus for my liking

I’ve always thought that Football Management in this country is a very difficult job.

You need control coaching, identify transfers, Man manage the players, dictate tactics and deal with the press conferences. Each of these requires a very different skills set.

Morison was brought in as to manage the U23s, which would be a pressured role, but would potentially remove the pressures of dealing with transfers and dealing with the press (to the level that he has to in the first team).

Maybe what we are seeing now is that he is being too honest when answering the direct questions at a press conference and saying it as he’s sees it, whilst then also hanging the player out to dry.

Of course we have seen many fan upset at managers who just answer with the formulaic boring answers at press conferences, these managers are seen as blinkered fools by the fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Also if we're looking at Morison's man management of youngsters, didn't he start Zimba, haul him off at half time then boot him back to the U23's for the next game and every game since?
    He didn't have an impact on the game and lost the ball. "Hauled off". He was subbed mate.

In an interview not long after he said how they talked about the game and what he needed to work on etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think Davies has done enough good so far for a tough 5 minute cameo to not matter.
    Agree entirely , you can see he has ability by the way he runs and moves , great prospect reminds me of a young Bellars .

Yeah but the Jonny Evans thing was a coach shouting at a player from the sideline, not humiliating him in the press, very different in my opinion.

I do get your point about not joining a kangaroo court though, it's just I think our manager comes across as very touchy and a bit too quick to throw people under the bus for my liking
    in my opinion he's just had an episode, an outburst based on his relationship with the players that he has criticised publicly. I don't think that this situation is complicated. He must be looking for a reaction of some sorts. It's a pretty dangerous game to play in my opinion. An opinion from those in the Professional ranks would be interesting.

Is there perhaps a possibility that Morison's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier? Based on his interviews and press conferences to date, I believe the chances of that are more than reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    in my opinion he's just had an episode, an outburst based on his relationship with the players that he has criticised publicly. I don't think that this situation is complicated. He must be looking for a reaction of some sorts. It's a pretty dangerous game to play in my opinion. An opinion from those in the Professional ranks would be interesting.
    Danny Gabbidon is a big Davies fan. He didn’t go as far as criticising Morison but he did shoot down a journalist on Twitter who was defending Morison and claimed no one in football knows Davies better than Morison.

Morison has a reputation for being outspoken from his time as a player, he certainly didn’t hold back against Millwall fans if he had a bee in his bonnet about something. I remember in play off final when they won and some Millwall fans invaded Wembley pitch he got into an argument with some of them and then told Sky that the fans had “ruined the day”.

Nothing wrong with that in the work place imo, when you are a player / employee, but as someone said earlier management is a different skill set. Whilst some honesty is more refreshing than the usual cliches, or blaming officials rather than yourself or the players, but as a manager you have to have people on side. You start throwing your team under the bus every time something doesn’t go to plan and don’t take any responsibility yourself then you will soon lose the dressing room. Especially when only digging out the junior members of the team, that’s the biggest issue for me.

If I had a manger who kept digging out the junior members of the team when I knew there was senior members not performing well I wouldn’t sit there and say nothing. I’d happily go to bag against management.

Probably why I never got to go into management in my job

Have listened to this week’s EJFOF and Bit of a Swazz, the reaction of the six people involved was uniformly negative towards Morison’s treatment of Isaak Davies. Those six include ex pros Danny Gabbidon, Iwan Roberts and Nathan Blake - Gabbs is involved in on the agent front with Isaak in some way I believe, so you might think he was biased, but, if anything, his criticism was milder than Blake and Roberts with the last named saying he didn’t think Davies did much wrong while he was on.

Really, the former players all said much the same as many fans have - why not dig out the under performing senior players, why say what he did in public and was it trying to take the attention away from some of his decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Morison has a reputation for being outspoken from his time as a player, he certainly didn’t hold back against Millwall fans if he had a bee in his bonnet about something. I remember in play off final when they won and some Millwall fans invaded Wembley pitch he got into an argument with some of them and then told Sky that the fans had “ruined the day”.

Nothing wrong with that in the work place imo, when you are a player / employee, but as someone said earlier management is a different skill set. Whilst some honesty is more refreshing than the usual cliches, or blaming officials rather than yourself or the players, but as a manager you have to have people on side. You start throwing your team under the bus every time something doesn’t go to plan and don’t take any responsibility yourself then you will soon lose the dressing room. Especially when only digging out the junior members of the team, that’s the biggest issue for me.

If I had a manger who kept digging out the junior members of the team when I knew there was senior members not performing well I wouldn’t sit there and say nothing. I’d happily go to bag against management.

Probably why I never got to go into management in my job

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I’ve always thought that Football Management in this country is a very difficult job.

You need control coaching, identify transfers, Man manage the players, dictate tactics and deal with the press conferences. Each of these requires a very different skills set.

Morison was brought in as to manage the U23s, which would be a pressured role, but would potentially remove the pressures of dealing with transfers and dealing with the press (to the level that he has to in the first team).

Maybe what we are seeing now is that he is being too honest when answering the direct questions at a press conference and saying it as he’s sees it, whilst then also hanging the player out to dry.

Of course we have seen many fan upset at managers who just answer with the formulaic boring answers at press conferences, these managers are seen as blinkered fools by the fan base.
    Good points. Morison is still on a steep learning curve and might do well to take on board the criticism and put it down to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Is there perhaps a possibility that Morison's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier? Based on his interviews and press conferences to date, I believe the chances of that are more than reasonable.
    Quite possibly but there have been plenty of highly successful managers who come across as a bit two short planks but are very good at managing football teams. It helps if they have a good team around them.

The only fair outcome here is if Tan comes out and says that recently Morison's been more of a hindrance than a help