+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Wolves recall Ryan Giles

Re: Telegraph saying Wolves might recall Giles

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We had to cut costs, I don't really blame MM. I still blame Warnock
    Yes we had to make cut backs and Warnock takes his fair share of the blame but MM left us with no width at all and in the squad and the brought in a midfielder to loan out. I think another manager even Warnock would have made more of an effort to get players out on loan and other back in positions we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Yes we had to make cut backs and Warnock takes his fair share of the blame but MM left us with no width at all and in the squad and the brought in a midfielder to loan out. I think another manager even Warnock would have made more of an effort to get players out on loan and other back in positions we needed.
    We were playing a system where the wingbacks provide the width - we had Giles and Bagan on the left and Ng and Sang on the right,
    OK MM did lose the plot when we went on a bad run and he started to play centre backs out there, but if we had players like murphy still here we would need to play him as a striker or a number 10 in this system, and Im not sure that's his game.

Re: UPDATED: Wolves recall Ryan Giles

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Bagan it is then.
    Why not if we invest in him perhaps he will develop, I'm all for local lads getting thier chance . We need to be patient with these lads and encourage them , perhaps closed door home games may also help him ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Why not if we invest in him perhaps he will develop, I'm all for local lads getting thier chance . We need to be patient with these lads and encourage them , perhaps closed door home games may also help him ?
    Bagan is part Scot, part Irish, born in Basingstoke and brought up through the Southampton Academy.

Hardly local even though he has been at Cardiff for over 3 years.

But he is a Cardiff Academy product too - and the rest of your post is 100% right.

Neil Taylor as a short term option?

We were playing a system where the wingbacks provide the width - we had Giles and Bagan on the left and Ng and Sang on the right,
    OK MM did lose the plot when we went on a bad run and he started to play centre backs out there, but if we had players like murphy still here we would need to play him as a striker or a number 10 in this system, and Im not sure that's his game.
    MM would never have played Giles at wingback he was far to cautious. It was brown or Bagan.
    The issue was that he put everything on wingbacks working, we had no options to change it from the start or from the bench.

I still think Whyte would be useful as a wingback. Issue is squad needs so much now and we have little to no money to try and fix it. Morison is going to have to be clever.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Neil Taylor as a short term option?
    please no

Wolves refer to his good assists record when he played further forward. Personally I think playing him as a wing back held him back and reduced his ability to create chances for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Telegraph saying Wolves might recall Giles

Oh good.

Let's hope Wolves find a few quid and can strengthen.
    Reckon he might come back if Wolves get knocked out of cup. Come on swans!

Yes that 3-4-3. If that's how we ultimately want to play we should be sticking with it to develop the players the way we want them to develop.
    We've been playing ok recently, there's no way we are going up this season so the only remaining things that we can take from this season are to develop the playing style, bring the kids through, avoid relegation and perhaps an unlikely cup run.

We've definitely been making progress, why tear it all up at the first hurdle?

I was looking at the west brom forums last night and there were the odd compliment for us on there, especially the first half, they said we were a different side than the reverse fixture when one player said we were the worst football side he'd ever seen.

I'm confident that even without Giles we have enough to avoid the drop.
    Yes he beat his man a lot yesterday and his pace is a great outlet for us, but his crossing was really bad for a change I thought.

Bagan is a different type of player, but I think he will rise to the challenge.
    We have to play this formation as we don't have a senior left back, and Bagan is the only other option.

Giles was our only outlet. We have zero pace in the side. Bagan and Ng aren't good enough going forwards to be wing backs, especially when our midfield is as pedestrian as it is. It also doesn't suit any of our centre halves, perhaps only Flint. I absolutely hate this formation, we've been bloody dreadful in it.

We also are playing better but in terms of results, it isn't that outstanding. I'm pretty sure we can play good football in a back 4. Especially when Nelson can't pass water, we're trying to play possession football with centre halves that aren't capable of doing so. We can also be hard to beat. Most teams play 3 up front, so with a back 4 you should have a spare man. It can be difficult in a 3/5, especially when centre halves are getting dragged out wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We have to play this formation as we don't have a senior left back, and Bagan is the only other option.

Giles was our only outlet. We have zero pace in the side. Bagan and Ng aren't good enough going forwards to be wing backs, especially when our midfield is as pedestrian as it is. It also doesn't suit any of our centre halves, perhaps only Flint. I absolutely hate this formation, we've been bloody dreadful in it.

We also are playing better but in terms of results, it isn't that outstanding. I'm pretty sure we can play good football in a back 4. Especially when Nelson can't pass water, we're trying to play possession football with centre halves that aren't capable of doing so. We can also be hard to beat. Most teams play 3 up front, so with a back 4 you should have a spare man. It can be difficult in a 3/5, especially when centre halves are getting dragged out wide.
    We were crap in a back 4 before Mccarthy got here, and I don't think we would be any better now.

Since Morison took over we have 12 points from 10 games. not great, but if that is maintained it would be enough to keep us clear of trouble most probably.

Giles will be a big miss, but we will either have to bring in a replacement or find a way to have another outlet - I don't think it calls for completely changing the formation.

We were crap in a back 4 before Mccarthy got here, and I don't think we would be any better now.

Since Morison took over we have 12 points from 10 games. not great, but if that is maintained it would be enough to keep us clear of trouble most probably.

Giles will be a big miss, but we will either have to bring in a replacement or find a way to have another outlet - I don't think it calls for completely changing the formation.
    We've got Colwill who can play 10, who can actually play football and they're trying to pass it so the midfield might try to keep it. I think the fact we've been absolutely terrible with a back 5 for about 9 months is all the reason you need to change it. We need a left wing back, we can't play this formation without an attacking option there. We don't have that. With Bagan and Ng, it is a back 5.

A lot of weeping and wailing over a loan player. When we should have at least a few more decent players in the side that we have a contract with.
    Just shows how bad things are.

Neco Williams could do with playing regular football - would love to see a cheeky loan bid for him

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Q View Post
    Neco Williams could do with playing regular football - would love to see a cheeky loan bid for him
    It would be a very, very, very cheeky bid,

With clubs being affected by Covid the youngsters on the fringe of the 1st team squads are unlikely to be loaned.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It would be a very, very, very cheeky bid,
    He's only had 7 minutes of league football this season, although he's been on the bench a fair bit recently. I can see then letting him go on loan somewhere, but they probably think he's above the championship already

We could buy Giles for £5M today. We could buy Sanderson for less. Good business if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We could buy Giles for £5M today. We could buy Sanderson for less. Good business if you ask me.
    Could we?

we don't have 50p let alone 5 trillion squid

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Also would Wolves sell? the fact they've just recalled him suggests probably not - also would he come here on a permanent deal? he might have his sights set on trying to break into the premier league

Could we?
    Maybe £7M. Wolves are holding their own at Old Trafford right now. Do you see Giles fitting into that team? He's good, but he's fairly one dimensional. He's far from a complete player.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    We have an owner worth a billion dollars. Or so I'm told.

Having watched an impressive Wolves performance against Manchester Utd I can't envisage Giles getting anywhere near the first team squad.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Maybe £7M. Wolves are holding their own at Old Trafford right now. Do you see Giles fitting into that team? He's good, but he's fairly one dimensional. He's far from a complete player.
    Smashed them