+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UPDATED: Wolves recall Ryan Giles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Telegraph saying Wolves might recall Giles

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    On the bright side, chances for Bagan and Davies. Two of our own
    I'm not so sure that's a great idea. Bagan seemed to go backwards this season. Playing in a crap team is not necessarily brilliant for your development, especially replacing one of our most important players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'm not so sure that's a great idea. Bagan seemed to go backwards this season. Playing in a crap team is not necessarily brilliant for your development, especially replacing one of our most important players.
    I wouldn't say he seemed to go backwards. He's not as much of an attacking threat as Giles but I can't really remember him being exposed. And he's been playing well for the U23s.

Everyone said a the start of the season that we have to be patient with the younger players and they will have good games and poor games, but as soon as they are slightly off the boil everyone forgets that in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wouldn't say he seemed to go backwards. He's not as much of an attacking threat as Giles but I can't really remember him being exposed. And he's been playing well for the U23s.

Everyone said a the start of the season that we have to be patient with the younger players and they will have good games and poor games, but as soon as they are slightly off the boil everyone forgets that in a heartbeat
    Bagan, and Ng, were absolutely abysmal under Mick this season. Bagan was especially poor, and Morison agrees as he's not had a sniff. Similar as Sang, which is a bit odd.

We're in big trouble, I think we'll have to get someone in or (hopefully) play a back 4 with... Bagan or Brown at left back... eek.

Bagan, and Ng, were absolutely abysmal under Mick this season. Bagan was especially poor, and Morison agrees as he's not had a sniff. Similar as Sang, which is a bit odd.

We're in big trouble, I think we'll have to get someone in or (hopefully) play a back 4 with... Bagan or Brown at left back... eek.
    I'd prefer to see us stick with the 3-4-3, and give Bagan a chance.
    Plenty of senior players were abysmal under Mick, Morrison, Nelson, Pack etc and they will still get their chances

Plenty of senior players were abysmal under Mick, Morrison, Nelson, Pack etc and they will still get their chances
    The 3-4-3 that has us 21st with 1 clean sheet all season, and now we've lost the one player that was well suited to the formation.

It's easier for a young lad to play in a 4 at the back, too.

The 3-4-3 that has us 21st with 1 clean sheet all season, and now we've lost the one player that was well suited to the formation.

It's easier for a young lad to play in a 4 at the back, too.
    Yes that 3-4-3. If that's how we ultimately want to play we should be sticking with it to develop the players the way we want them to develop.
    We've been playing ok recently, there's no way we are going up this season so the only remaining things that we can take from this season are to develop the playing style, bring the kids through, avoid relegation and perhaps an unlikely cup run.

We've definitely been making progress, why tear it all up at the first hurdle?

I was looking at the west brom forums last night and there were the odd compliment for us on there, especially the first half, they said we were a different side than the reverse fixture when one player said we were the worst football side he'd ever seen.

I'm confident that even without Giles we have enough to avoid the drop.
    Yes he beat his man a lot yesterday and his pace is a great outlet for us, but his crossing was really bad for a change I thought.

Bagan is a different type of player, but I think he will rise to the challenge.

Yes that 3-4-3. If that's how we ultimately want to play we should be sticking with it to develop the players the way we want them to develop.
    We've been playing ok recently, there's no way we are going up this season so the only remaining things that we can take from this season are to develop the playing style, bring the kids through, avoid relegation and perhaps an unlikely cup run.

We've definitely been making progress, why tear it all up at the first hurdle?

I was looking at the west brom forums last night and there were the odd compliment for us on there, especially the first half, they said we were a different side than the reverse fixture when one player said we were the worst football side he'd ever seen.

I'm confident that even without Giles we have enough to avoid the drop.
    Yes he beat his man a lot yesterday and his pace is a great outlet for us, but his crossing was really bad for a change I thought.

Bagan is a different type of player, but I think he will rise to the challenge.
    We have to play this formation as we don't have a senior left back, and Bagan is the only other option.

Giles was our only outlet. We have zero pace in the side. Bagan and Ng aren't good enough going forwards to be wing backs, especially when our midfield is as pedestrian as it is. It also doesn't suit any of our centre halves, perhaps only Flint. I absolutely hate this formation, we've been bloody dreadful in it.

We also are playing better but in terms of results, it isn't that outstanding. I'm pretty sure we can play good football in a back 4. Especially when Nelson can't pass water, we're trying to play possession football with centre halves that aren't capable of doing so. We can also be hard to beat. Most teams play 3 up front, so with a back 4 you should have a spare man. It can be difficult in a 3/5, especially when centre halves are getting dragged out wide.

The system hasn't worked all season, we aren't well suited to it and the only player we had that was has now gone

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The system hasn't worked all season, we aren't well suited to it and the only player we had that was has now gone
    MM destroyed the squad, I don’t see how we have players to fit anything other than wingbacks to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    MM destroyed the squad, I don’t see how we have players to fit anything other than wingbacks to be honest.
    We had to cut costs, I don't really blame MM. I still blame Warnock

Bagan certainly went backward at the start of the season (and end of last?). But his call up to the Ireland u21s was a boost and some of his performances for the u23s before Christmas - especially his link up play with Chanka Zimba - were very good. I may be wrong, but from memory Bagan is less of a crosser (where Giles excels) and more of a direct runner and threat in the box. Giles is clearly a better player now based on his stats compared to Bagan's in the first team, but I think Bagan will come back stronger if/when he gets the chance. Even if Giles stays the full season he is likely to be back with Wolves in the summer and we need to develop or acquire two reliable LB/LWB options. I hope Bagan is one of them.