+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: more Tory corruption?

more Tory corruption?

Re: more Tory corruption?

Distinctly dodgy stuff - on a similar theme, although it's from the Guardian which some get very hot under the collar about (although looking at this survey

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...uks-newspapers

I'm not sure why), this article makes some telling points about British corruption.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...itish-politics

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Distinctly dodgy stuff - on a similar theme, although it's from the Guardian which some get very hot under the collar about (although looking at this survey

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...uks-newspapers

I'm not sure why), this article makes some telling points about British corruption.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...itish-politics
    I'm sure we will discover in good time that this could be the tip of a Titanic sized iceberg and a goodly number of the Electorate will not be in the mood to cast off lifeboats.

It's good to see the Guardian back in favour with the left, I do recall a few Corbyn fans having a right rant at the paper when Jeremy was fronting the party and a number of centralist minded Labour MP's left ,the paper didn’t quite take to Corbyn , Momentum ,Schneider and loopy Lansman.

What comes around hey .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's good to see the Guardian back in favour with the left, I do recall a few Corbyn fans having a right rant at the paper when Jeremy was fronting the party and a number of centralist minded Labour MP's left ,the paper didn’t quite take to Corbyn , Momentum ,Schneider and loopy Lansman.

What comes around hey .
    Going back to the actual story, rather than the publication - do you think it is right that a fluent Polish speaker is having £700 a month worth of Polish lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Going back to the actual story, rather than the publication - do you think it is right that a fluent Polish speaker is having £700 a month worth of Polish lessons?
    Perhaps he's just polishing up his Polish? Poor guy he's got to find how to pay those expensive school fees from somewhere.

I mean he couldn't possibly send his children to state school like the oinks that voted for him. Let's be fair, these state schools don't even teach Polish!

What comes around hey .
    I quite liked Lansman as it happened. I'm surprised at you abusing him; did you know he's Jewish?

I'm not sure what telling points the Guardian article makes about British corruption, Bob? It's only an opinion piece confirming the views I imagine most of the public have on the corruption that we're already aware of, and it's not like we haven't already had a scandal over politicians' expenses.

What comes around hey .
    I'm not sure a YouGov survey from nearly five years ago counts as the Guardian suddenly being back in favour with the left. The Guardian has proven time and again that is is part of the corporate media establishment that tries to undermine genuine left-wing politics when it deems it necessary. The Guardian's most "hard left" journalists Owen Jones and George Monbiot took part in the character assassination of Jeremy Corbyn. Over the years, The Guardian has gone to great lengths to smear Julian Assange. The Guardian also smeared Venezuela's left-wing government under Hugo Chavez.

I think it's a bit harsh to have a go at him. After all, he was learning via webcam and those pay-per-minute sites can rack up.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think it's a bit harsh to have a go at him. After all, he was learning via webcam and ( I have been told that) those pay-per-minute sites can rack up.
    Edited for you

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Edited for you
    Oops. Thanks, Cyril, appreciated.

Edited for you
    Allegedly

There is a difference between the ill-defined concept of self-declared fluency in a language and technical proficiency/accuracy.
    Whatever else this chap has been guilty of I think that the situation regarding his language classes is far more nuanced than the headline if you look into some of his other statements.
    I worked in Germany for a year and a half speaking only German (and have kept up the language ever since) but I couldn't be effective in high-level government meetings.
    By the way, yesterday I was informed by letter that I am a German State pensioner with a monthly pension of 38 Euros!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There is a difference between the ill-defined concept of self-declared fluency in a language and technical proficiency/accuracy.
    Whatever else this chap has been guilty of I think that the situation regarding his language classes is far more nuanced than the headline if you look into some of his other statements.
    I worked in Germany for a year and a half speaking only German (and have kept up the language ever since) but I couldn't be effective in high-level government meetings.
    By the way, yesterday I was informed by letter that I am a German State pensioner with a monthly pension of 38 Euros!
    Yeah, I think for me it's the alledged cost, although the public sector frequently gets ripped off on things like this and you can imagine parliament is the pinnacle of that as providers know the extent of expenses etc.

His defence is thus: https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...olish-lessons/

What stood out for me is this, and I see his point on this, as I dont think people do care about the reality, they just want a headline to make people angry

Hitting out at some newspapers for their coverage of the matter, the MP said: "Despite my commitment to building more effective international links with Poland and working to improve my Polish language skills to facilitate this, biased and out-of-context reports have been written.

"While the media provides an invaluable service in exposing and reporting wrongdoing, apparent predisposition by several journalists to consistently belittle and condemn politicians as a default mode in attempts to grab sensational and inaccurate headlines is frustrating, regrettable and a public disservice."

There is no suggestion that Mr Kawczynski has broken any rules in taking the lessons, with the Commons offering "training in accordance with their parliamentary duties".

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah, I think for me it's the alledged cost, although the public sector frequently gets ripped off on things like this and you can imagine parliament is the pinnacle of that as providers know the extent of expenses etc.

What stood out for me is this, and I see his point on this, as I dont think people do care about the reality, they just want a headline to make people angry

Hitting out at some newspapers for their coverage of the matter, the MP said: "Despite my commitment to building more effective international links with Poland and working to improve my Polish language skills to facilitate this, biased and out-of-context reports have been written.

"While the media provides an invaluable service in exposing and reporting wrongdoing, apparent predisposition by several journalists to consistently belittle and condemn politicians as a default mode in attempts to grab sensational and inaccurate headlines is frustrating, regrettable and a public disservice."

There is no suggestion that Mr Kawczynski has broken any rules in taking the lessons, with the Commons offering "training in accordance with their parliamentary duties".
    To support your point on the cost. This from the BBC

The lessons have now stopped, he said, adding he has asked the House of Commons to find cheaper tuition.

That said, when he is not bullying Common's clerks when pissed he is the Prime Minister's envoy to Mongolia so one can only wonder what the cost will be to bring his language skills there up to the level necessary for diplomatic discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Wunderbar!

Whoops, more Tory corruption on a grand scale https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ment-contracts

They really are taking the @@@@ aren’t they.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

James Wales - defending the indefensible - all in the name of balance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    James Wales - defending the indefensible - all in the name of balance of course.
    I'd hate to play on a seesaw with him.

Dan may have a bit more time on his hands to polish his Polish!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...llying-apology

Dan may have a bit more time on his hands to polish his Polish!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...llying-apology
    seems like a nice chap

seems like a nice chap
    He hasn't apologised for being a sex pest then?