Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
Me neither, for me this is the right verdict.

This is not rewriting history, it's more a question of a community declaring what they find offensive and thereby ensuring the removal of the offending item away from general view. By all means put it in a museum where it belongs.

I definitely would not have wanted the statue to have been destroyed because it tells a story of a mindset long ago and it should be recognised as an important historical artefact. However that story should be available to be explored with its own narrative in a place where people make the conscious choice to learn about it. Having it on public display in a city centre for all and sundry to see is not right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Edward_Colston

The graffiti covered statue was on display (horizontal) in a Bristol museum for 3 months over the summer - with a full description of Colston's life and career, and the history of the statue.

I think there are discussions about a more permanent display - in a context that will allow education and discussion about the history and role of the Atlantic slave trade, rather than endorsing the Victorian celebration of a slaver.

In Liverpool a lot of the street names that celebrate slavers have been retained, but with information plaques to give the history - many of them done by or with local communities.

That is reclaiming history - not re-writing it in the sense of airbrushing it out.

Well done the jury!