+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wasn’t expecting that verdict.

Re: Wasn’t expecting that verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Or am I just laughing at a joke I've made up in my head about a Bristol butcher from Hampshire and my subconscious is filling in the blanks (and there are quite a few blanks today!)?
    It's aimed at me. And between you and I some butchers in Hampshire sell really good venison. But for lamb there is only one place to go.......

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    It's aimed at me. And between you and I some butchers in Hampshire sell really good venison. But for lamb there is only one place to go.......
    Wasn't this on some sausage thread though Mr L or am I imagining that? Or burger thread (vegan?)? Please tell me I'm not going even madder!

Funny that one of the four doesn't live in Bristol but in Hampshire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why?
    I couldn't resist sorry.

For anyone not familiar with the debate -

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...n-Wales-advice

Good sport

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I couldn't resist sorry.

Thanks...All to do with Drakeford and his stupid 5 mile rule. Now that history has been written he has admitted that it was an unrealistic, unworkable and unscientific rule pushed onto the people of Wales.

I couldn't resist sorry.

OK. It's not what I was s******ing at. You don't want to know what went through my mind. Some sick sh*t I can tell you.

To me this is the right outcome with the wrong decision if that makes sense

It puts the definition of offence onto individuals and not from the state which I don’t agree with.

I applaud why they did what they did but not necessarily agree with their actions.

Funny that one of the four doesn't live in Bristol but in Hampshire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why?
    Thanks...All to do with Drakeford and his stupid 5 mile rule. Now that history has been written he has admitted that it was an unrealistic, unworkable and unscientific rule pushed onto the people of Wales.
    One day someone will list all of the odd rules that have been in place since the start if the pandemic. Maintaining a 2 metre gap in a swimming pool was one that springs to mind, as does staying in your own county, meaning I couldn't cycle completely across the barrage.

Would have made more sense to me to find them guilty and then for the judge to impose a nominal fine.
    ^^^^ This

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Well said.

I dont get this rewriting history bollox.
    Me neither, for me this is the right verdict.

This is not rewriting history, it's more a question of a community declaring what they find offensive and thereby ensuring the removal of the offending item away from general view. By all means put it in a museum where it belongs.

I definitely would not have wanted the statue to have been destroyed because it tells a story of a mindset long ago and it should be recognised as an important historical artefact. However that story should be available to be explored with its own narrative in a place where people make the conscious choice to learn about it. Having it on public display in a city centre for all and sundry to see is not right.

At first glance this seems a fine example of white, middle class privilege. Something I normally am minded to dismiss.

Colston is a very controversial figure, but that goes for many and you can't go pulling down stuff because you personally don't like it

Am surprised the jury found them not guilty, but as with all court cases, it's best to go with the decision of those who heard the entire case.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    At first glance this seems a fine example of white, middle class privilege. Something I normally am minded to dismiss.

Colston is a very controversial figure, but that goes for many and you can't go pulling down stuff because you personally don't like it

Am surprised the jury found them not guilty, but as with all court cases, it's best to go with the decision of those who heard the entire case.
    ‘Personally don't like it’, in this day and age who’d personally like it Just because stuff like dog shite was accepted on our streets in the past doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be cleaned up now.

Would have made more sense to me to find them guilty and then for the judge to impose a nominal fine.
    I'm glad they didn't get criminal records for this because having one for activism of this nature is a much greater sentence than a nominal fine. It follows you around for years (sometimes for life). Anyway, a jury found them not guilty by an 11 to 1 majority and the defence argued that the statue, which stood over the city for 125 years, was so indecent and potentially abusive that it constituted a crime. The jury agreed with this. It does set a precedent. which in my view, is a good thing.

I've had discussions about this with lots of people and I always ask them to imagine a statue of Jimmy Saville being in a public place and would they feel the same way if someone/people pulled it down. Remember, Bristol had had 125 years to think this one over. It's not like the community hadn't asked politely for it to be removed. It was up to the BLM to get things going. That's a lot of waiting around for 'the state' to do the decent thing.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ‘Personally don't like it’, in this day and age who’d personally like it Just because stuff like dog shite was accepted on our streets in the past doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be cleaned up now.
    Problem is, different people have different opinions of things they like or don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Saying Colston is a very controversial figure is a bit like saying Epstein or Maxwell were/are controversial figures when in fact they're all hideous individuals. Colston was a slaver. There's nothing controversial about it. The jury did the right thing, for once. They clearly didn't feel the need to stick the boot in and f*ck these people's lives up for doing something that is a lot less bad than speeding on the motorway.

The trial was not if the Colston statue was offensive

It was was did they commit criminal damage, which as they did not dispute the roles they had played in pulling down the statue and throwing it in the River Avon ( which of course was criminal damage ) seems the trial was a bit of a farce

The defence arguing what they did was justified because they thought the statue was offensive isn't really defence for criminal damage

Jake Skuse ( one of the guys ) said "knew he was in the right" and that it was "what the people of Bristol wanted".

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    The trial was not if the Colston statue was offensive

It was was did they commit criminal damage, which as they did not dispute the roles they had played in pulling down the statue and throwing it in the River Avon ( which of course was criminal damage ) seems the trial was a bit of a farce

The defence arguing what they did was justified because they thought the statue was offensive isn't really defence for criminal damage

Jake Skuse ( one of the guys ) said "knew he was in the right" and that it was "what the people of Bristol wanted".
    Correct verdict. Had it been a statue of a paedophile would community feelings not have taken into consideration? I think the mistake was taking this to court in the first place. The sensible course of action would have been to have had a community discussion about the status of these artifacts and what should be done about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Correct verdict. Had it been a statue of a paedophile would community feelings not have taken into consideration? I think the mistake was taking this to court in the first place. The sensible course of action would have been to have had a community discussion about the status of these artifacts and what should be done about them.
    if it was a statue of a paedophile and it was pulled down by a mob, would that have been criminal damage, yes

the fact that the statue was offensive was not on trial, the trail was did criminal damage take place

Can’t believe Matt wants statues of peadophiles erected, perverse.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    James Wales is always talking about nuance, and how matters are complex...Then he boils this down to whether people like or don't like the statue. Even Newsround would go deeper than that

slavery is bad , islam at the time of colston was more involved in slavery than the west therefore islam bad

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    slavery is bad , islam at the time of colston was more involved in slavery than the west therefore islam bad
    Are you the same poster who thinks whipping up race hate is truly abhorrent?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    if it was a statue of a paedophile and it was pulled down by a mob, would that have been criminal damage, yes

the fact that the statue was offensive was not on trial, the trail was did criminal damage take place
    Thank goodness the law doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Thank goodness the law doesn't work that way.
    Not at the moment maybe but fear not, Priti is coming along soon to sort that out with prison tariffs potentially double that than for rape.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Not at the moment maybe but fear not, Priti is coming along soon to sort that out with prison tariffs potentially double that than for rape.
    Yes it's chilling, Priti would not look out of place in jackboots.