+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wasn’t expecting that verdict.

Re: Wasn’t expecting that verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Yes it's chilling, Priti would not look out of place in jackboots.
    I swear you have a fetish for Priti Patel. You always seem to be picturing her in an array of exotic outfits and scenarios.

She's an attractive and dominant lady. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ‘Personally don't like it’, in this day and age who’d personally like it Just because stuff like dog shite was accepted on our streets in the past doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be cleaned up now.
    Ahh white dog poo, kids these days don't know they're born.

It sounds as though the local people had been trying to get this statue removed for years through the official channels but the local authority did nothing. The next step was to forcibly remove it (and rightly so in my opinion). These protesters could be some of the last to be found not guilty of this kind of thing once the new Policing Bill passes into law, it sounds like a horrific attack on our civil liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Are you the same poster who thinks whipping up race hate is truly abhorrent?
    yes, what part of my statement evokes hate? if there is white guilt then there is islamic guilt ,ashanti guilt ect

Me neither, for me this is the right verdict.

This is not rewriting history, it's more a question of a community declaring what they find offensive and thereby ensuring the removal of the offending item away from general view. By all means put it in a museum where it belongs.

I definitely would not have wanted the statue to have been destroyed because it tells a story of a mindset long ago and it should be recognised as an important historical artefact. However that story should be available to be explored with its own narrative in a place where people make the conscious choice to learn about it. Having it on public display in a city centre for all and sundry to see is not right.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Edward_Colston

The graffiti covered statue was on display (horizontal) in a Bristol museum for 3 months over the summer - with a full description of Colston's life and career, and the history of the statue.

I think there are discussions about a more permanent display - in a context that will allow education and discussion about the history and role of the Atlantic slave trade, rather than endorsing the Victorian celebration of a slaver.

In Liverpool a lot of the street names that celebrate slavers have been retained, but with information plaques to give the history - many of them done by or with local communities.

That is reclaiming history - not re-writing it in the sense of airbrushing it out.

Well done the jury!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I swear you have a fetish for Priti Patel. You always seem to be picturing her in an array of exotic outfits and scenarios.

She's an attractive and dominant lady. Go for it.
    If I came across Priti Patel I would swear I can assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Edward_Colston

The graffiti covered statue was on display (horizontal) in a Bristol museum for 3 months over the summer - with a full description of Colston's life and career, and the history of the statue.

I think there are discussions about a more permanent display - in a context that will allow education and discussion about the history and role of the Atlantic slave trade, rather than endorsing the Victorian celebration of a slaver.

In Liverpool a lot of the street names that celebrate slavers have been retained, but with information plaques to give the history - many of them done by or with local communities.

That is reclaiming history - not re-writing it in the sense of airbrushing it out.

Well done the jury!
    Absolutely right John. Slowly but ever so surely people are becoming enlightened. (Note I avoided using the word "woke" for fear it would enrage our gammon friends.)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Holt View Post
    Ahh white dog poo, kids these days don't know they're born.

It sounds as though the local people had been trying to get this statue removed for years through the official channels but the local authority did nothing. The next step was to forcibly remove it (and rightly so in my opinion). These protesters could be some of the last to be found not guilty of this kind of thing once the new Policing Bill passes into law, it sounds like a horrific attack on our civil liberties.
    Yes this is the worry though most would agree that you cannot have vigilantes taking the law into their own hands even if it is, as in this case, a just cause.

As foxy used to say "Power to the people!"

Milo Ponsford, Sage Willoughby, Rhian Graham and Jake Skuse.

I'm not saying they're made up names, but if I was making up names they would look like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why?
    Because the defence was that they didn't commit a crime as the statue was owned by the people of Bristol so as citizens of the city it was theirs to do with what they wanted. One of them living in Hampshire doesn't support that defence.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Because the defence was that they didn't commit a crime as the statue was owned by the people of Bristol so as citizens of the city it was theirs to do with what they wanted. One of them living in Hampshire doesn't support that defence.
    Not withstanding whatever defence Ponsford's barrister put up that the jury believed, this Daily Mail hit piece has him working as a carpenter living in a motorhome in Bristol, so Hampshire may be his registered address but not his place of residence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-vandals.html

Quite an image that. It's only 8.30am.

If I came across Priti Patel I would swear I can assure you.
    Quite an image that..it's only 8.30am

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Milo Ponsford, Sage Willoughby, Rhian Graham and Jake Skuse.

I'm not saying they're made up names, but if I was making up names they would look like these.
    If Viz were gonna do a piece on middle class left-wing activists they couldn't have done any better.

Disappointing no Tabitha was involved.

If Viz were gonna do a piece on middle class left-wing activists they couldn't have done any better.

Milo and Jake are 2 of the Tweenies characters. It's such a pity that Bella and Fizz weren't in front of the judge aswell.

Perversely it would be more accurate than anything printed in the Daily Mail

I don’t think the airbrushing of past events has been recent, you just need to observe what’s around you and marvel at Old Tech to realise that.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes this is the worry though most would agree that you cannot have vigilantes taking the law into their own hands even if it is, as in this case, a just cause.

Are you his girlfriend’s mother?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Are you his girlfriend’s mother?

Quite an image that. It's only 8.30am
    so much for the inclusivity of life ,guess its selective inclusivity for some

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    yes, what part of my statement evokes hate? if there is white guilt then there is islamic guilt ,ashanti guilt ect
    Probably the bit where you suggested that all of Islam is bad because some Muslims were involved in slavery. I don't think anyone's said that all white people are bad because Colston was a slave trader have they? I think everybody on the thread is in agreement that you know, slavery is bad, and the debate is whether a criminal act is still a criminal act if it's done for the right reasons.

Not sure why you've decided to simplify it to the level of a 15 year old trying to piss his parents off at the dinner table but hey ho, whatever makes you happy

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Inclusive if you're good, exclusive if you're evil....simples.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Probably the bit where you suggested that all of Islam is bad because some Muslims were involved in slavery. I don't think anyone's said that all white people are bad because Colston was a slave trader have they? I think everybody on the thread is in agreement that you know, slavery is bad, and the debate is whether a criminal act is still a criminal act if it's done for the right reasons.

Not sure why you've decided to simplify it to the level of a 15 year old trying to piss his parents off at the dinner table but hey ho, whatever makes you happy
    Perhaps he is a 15 year old!

Perhaps he is a 15 year old!
    He does sound like one, but still it's not even dinnertime

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Good old Foxy 🦊