+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan 6th 2002. Cardiff 2-1 Leeds

Jan 6th 2002. Cardiff 2-1 Leeds

Twenty years ago!!!

Re: Jan 6th 2002. Cardiff 2-1 Leeds

All that, plus Gavin Gordon's "tackle" on Rio, Alan Smith's red card, and Scott Young's other key moment - THAT tackle on Viduka in the second half. What a day!

I wasn't there (ill) but followed , I think, GillSam's text commentary live. That match and Real Madrid. Two matches I really wished I'd been at. Leeds have only recently recovered from that FA Cup loss. Such a shame.

I was sitting 3 seats away from Perter Risdale during that match. He was mortified at the end of the match with his head in his hands. Strange that his next job was with Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I was sitting 3 seats away from Perter Risdale during that match. He was mortified at the end of the match with his head in his hands. Strange that his next job was with Cardiff City.
    Isn't he now at PNE?, who will be playing at Cardiff City in the third round on the weekend. Almost 10 years to the day of that famous visit.

The aftermath. Big tough bully boy Leeds fans ringing radio phone ins demanding the match be replayed.

Not to mention that pr!ck David O Leary.

Wasn't this just after a racism case involving Jonathan Wood gate, so when Michael Duberry replaced Ferdinand, they weren't really speaking to each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Twenty years ago!!!
    Christ alive I can’t believe it….

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The aftermath. Big tough bully boy Leeds fans ringing radio phone ins demanding the match be replayed.

Not to mention that pr!ck David O Leary.
    From the valleys they were and Barry if I recall…..

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Wasn't this just after a racism case involving Jonathan Wood gate, so when Michael Duberry replaced Ferdinand, they weren't really speaking to each other?
    I vaguely recall something like that, but also...
    wasn't Lee Bowyer having his collar felt by the old bill?
    Heeeyyyy, Lee Bowyer
    I wanna Know...ow...ow
    why you're not in jail!

Another trivial thing that comes to mind was a guy walking up and down Sloper Road before the game muttering (not shouting)
    "any spare tickets?" Fat chance!

Much later, Rio was being interviewed about an upcoming Euro game in Turkey
    "Are you worried about the hostile atmosphere in Galatasaray?"
    "No, I've played at Ninian Park!"

It was during the spell when the FA Cup final was played at the Millenium stadium.

David O’Leary said pre match that he wanted the cup run to start and finish in Cardiff 🤣

He got his wish!

One of ( if not the ) most favourite games I have been to, right from the start the atmosphere was evil, the crowd were so far up for it, right from when we parked the car and started to walk to the ground, you knew today was going to be a special day

yes of course we will now frown at the antics that went on, the Missiles being thrown at the Leeds players ( they couldn't play tight to the touchline due to it raining stuff on them ), the abuse they got from the crowd ( the Woodgate / Duberry incident didnt help ), Scam walking around the pitch to Gee the crowd up even more but it was great at the time, the crowd really did play the 12th man, some of the Leeds players looked scared,

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I vaguely recall something like that, but also...
    wasn't Lee Bowyer having his collar felt by the old bill?
    Heeeyyyy, Lee Bowyer
    I wanna Know...ow...ow
    why you're not in jail!

Another trivial thing that comes to mind was a guy walking up and down Sloper Road before the game muttering (not shouting)
    "any spare tickets?" Fat chance!

Much later, Rio was being interviewed about an upcoming Euro game in Turkey
    "Are you worried about the hostile atmosphere in Galatasaray?"
    "No, I've played at Ninian Park!"
    The Bowyer chant was one of my favourites I heard in all my time going to Ninian Park. He also got hit by meat pie chucked from the Bob Bank during the game 😁

The ‘Hey, Lee Bowyer’ chant was deafening and when he came on ‘Duberry, Duberry you’re a grass’ must have really made him feel amongst friends

In the Canton pub after the game, I borrowed a mate’s mobile phone (in those mediaeval times we didn’t all have them) and using the STD code randomly phoned Leeds area telephone numbers while the pub went quiet. ‘Hello’ I said ‘Did you watch the football on Sky today?’..... ‘Erm, yes’......’Well I’m calling from Cardiff, listen to this’.....cue the pub going mental. Childish, I know, but I was 20 years younger!!!

Take me back - never to be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    One of ( if not the ) most favourite games I have been to, right from the start the atmosphere was evil, the crowd were so far up for it, right from when we parked the car and started to walk to the ground, you knew today was going to be a special day

yes of course we will now frown at the antics that went on, the Missiles being thrown at the Leeds players ( they couldn't play tight to the touchline due to it raining stuff on them ), the abuse they got from the crowd ( the Woodgate / Duberry incident didnt help ), Scam walking around the pitch to Gee the crowd up even more but it was great at the time, the crowd really did play the 12th man, some of the Leeds players looked scared,
    Was a rare visit on the grange end for me that evening, or was it pm I can’t recall….I’ve never heard the Bob bank that noisy in all my time going

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Was a rare visit on the grange end for me that evening, or was it pm I can’t recall….I’ve never heard the Bob bank that noisy in all my time going
    It was the 4pm live Sky game.

scott-young.jpg

One of those classic "I was there" games. 20 years ago yet seems far, far less than that. In all the games I attended in NP from 1978 on I don't think there was another one to compare with the atmosphere that night - I thought I was going to have a heart attack in the last 10 minutes or so.

Featured article on Wikipedia's main page today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Fantastic day, especially as it was all new for us a late kick off on a Sunday meaning most were on the pop very early.

The atmosphere was probably the best I can recall ever with everyone well watered and up for a sing.

Scott Young's winner is up there with Clarky's against RM as two of City's big game goalscorers.
    Hardly a classic goal but soo sweet against dirty Leeds.

It was on the breakfast news all week about our unscrupulous support running amok along with David O'leary's pathetic whining about the hostility of fans and players alike.

Fact was, they were top of the premier league sporting multi-million pound millionaire players from one to eleven and were beaten by a bunch of "no-hopers".

As has been said, that game was the start of their meteoric fall from grace which they have only this last couple of seasons recovered from.

Frightening that it was twenty years ago

They had a really good side in those days

Just looking at the line up against us:

Martyn

Gary Kelly, Woodgate and Rio Ferdinand centre backs

Danny Mills and Ian Harte full/wing backs

bowyer and batty in CM

Alan Smith AM

front two of Robbie Fowler and Mark Viduka

finished 5th that year

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    They had a really good side in those days

Just looking at the line up against us:

Martyn

Gary Kelly, Woodgate and Rio Ferdinand centre backs

Danny Mills and Ian Harte full/wing backs

bowyer and batty in CM

Alan Smith AM

front two of Robbie Fowler and Mark Viduka

finished 5th that year
    Top when they played us then slumped to fifth.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Fantastic day, especially as it was all new for us a late kick off on a Sunday meaning most were on the pop very early.

The atmosphere was probably the best I can recall ever with everyone well watered and up for a sing.

Scott Young's winner is up there with Clarky's against RM as two of City's big game goalscorers.
    Hardly a classic goal but soo sweet against dirty Leeds.

It was on the breakfast news all week about our unscrupulous support running amok along with David O'leary's pathetic whining about the hostility of fans and players alike.

Fact was, they were top of the premier league sporting multi-million pound millionaire players from one to eleven and were beaten by a bunch of "no-hopers".

As has been said, that game was the start of their meteoric fall from grace which they have only this last couple of seasons recovered from.

Frightening that it was twenty years ago
    Not forgetting Young's match-saving tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Top when they played us then slumped to fifth.
    I don’t think they won a game afterwards for about 7 matches