+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Euros (€) bank account question

Euros (€) bank account question

I will shortly be receiving monthly payments of €38 from Germany and they will continue as long as I live.
    My question is: does anyone on here have experience of maintaining a Euros account here in the UK where such small sums are concerned? I want to avoid converting the money to Sterling (and possibly paying fees for the privelege) and simply let it build up and spend it as Euros when visiting Europe.
    Oh, and it has to be a bank that will complete an initial declaration for the German payees, which seems to preclude Starling Bank.
    I've done a bit of research on the matter but, as always, it's good to reap the benefit of the pool of knowledge that exists on this message board

Re: Euros (€) bank account question

For 'Payees' read 'Payers'

When I lived in Europe I already had an HSBC account and they opened a euro bank account for me from that.

But I think the easiest thing to do would be to open a Revolute account. Really good for keeping euros in and having a debit card to use with it, easy to open and easy to transfer money in and out if you needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I will shortly be receiving monthly payments of €38 from Germany and they will continue as long as I live.
    My question is: does anyone on here have experience of maintaining a Euros account here in the UK where such small sums are concerned? I want to avoid converting the money to Sterling (and possibly paying fees for the privelege) and simply let it build up and spend it as Euros when visiting Europe.
    Oh, and it has to be a bank that will complete an initial declaration for the German payees, which seems to preclude Starling Bank.
    I've done a bit of research on the matter but, as always, it's good to reap the benefit of the pool of knowledge that exists on this message board
    You're clearly selling one portion of drugs a month to someone in Germany for the rest of your life and I'm calling the police,

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You're clearly selling one portion of drugs a month to someone in Germany for the rest of your life and I'm calling the police,
    Maybe I should open a joint account

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's his onlyfans account

No personal experience but a quick look online...Barclays offer a Euro account but tied to a Barclays sterling account. Might be of use.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    No personal experience but a quick look online...Barclays offer a Euro account but tied to a Barclays sterling account. Might be of use.
    Unfortunately, in respect of the Barclays account moneysavinganswers.com states
    "There’s no ATM card. Rendering this account useless for travellers"

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    When I lived in Europe I already had an HSBC account and they opened a euro bank account for me from that.

But I think the easiest thing to do would be to open a Revolute account. Really good for keeping euros in and having a debit card to use with it, easy to open and easy to transfer money in and out if you needed to.
    I looked at Revolute but I would be surprised if that company will supply a countersigned document (i.e. after I have signed it) that I need to send to the German authorities to verify my account. Curiously, in the jurisdiction of the UK Revolute are considered to be an "e-money provider and not a bank" (although I'm not sure that would affect me unduly).

Starling bank, its 100% app based

you can set up a Euro account and pay in Euro's and then transfer out in £

another is revolut , also 100% app based and easy enough to ping around money

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Starling bank, its 100% app based

you can set up a Euro account and pay in Euro's and then transfer out in £

another is revolut , also 100% app based and easy enough to ping around money
    See above re: both

Curiously, in the jurisdiction of the UK Revolute are considered to be an "e-money provider and not a bank" (although I'm not sure that would affect me unduly).
    Revoult started as a " pre loaded money card " which it still is, so you need to load cash onto it to use it, when it started you had to link a bank account to it to load the money, you never got a bank number or IBAN ( I haven't used mine for a few years, I use it as a travel money card )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Revoult started as a " pre loaded money card " which it still is, so you need to load cash onto it to use it, when it started you had to link a bank account to it to load the money, you never got a bank number or IBAN ( I haven't used mine for a few years, I use it as a travel money card )
    The Revolut account comes with both IBAN and SWIFT codes.