+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Drakeford pulled no punches then

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Drakeford pulled no punches then

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    No, but it's a comparison that's made quite often particularly in relation to hospitality and sport.
    Fair enough. What I keep hearing from people who, like me, are sick to the back teeth of the restrictions Drakeford and Co keep imposing is that, now we have vaccines, boosters and Covid passports, we have to start learning to live with this damned virus come what may. And I also keep hearing people asking what the actual justification is for these restrictions when the situation is allegedly so much better now than it was this time last year, and also what the so-called 'science' is behind them. There seems to be a distinct scarcity of that at the moment.

I suppose we should look on the bright side, though. At least the venerable First Minister has downgraded the Omicron variant from a 'tsunami' to a 'storm', so things are looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Fair enough. What I keep hearing from people who, like me, are sick to the back teeth of the restrictions Drakeford and Co keep imposing is that, now we have vaccines, boosters and Covid passports, we have to start learning to live with this damned virus come what may. And I also keep hearing people asking what the actual justification is for these restrictions when the situation is allegedly so much better now than it was this time last year, and also what the so-called 'science' is behind them. There seems to be a distinct scarcity of that at the moment.

I suppose we should look on the bright side, though. At least the venerable First Minister has downgraded the Omicron variant from a 'tsunami' to a 'storm', so things are looking up.
    Take a look at the state of English NHS Trusts this Friday evening to see why something had to be done. We all hate restrictions - who does want them in a normal world? - but look at the consequences of this thing running wild.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Absolutely agree TLG - hospital rates miles lower than last year, the much heralded apocalypse hasn’t arrived (SAGE seem compulsive harbingers of doom; I thought we were meant to be on 1 million cases per day by now because Boris didn’t lock up the English for Christmas. They remind me of the saying in financial services that economists have predicted 15 of the last three recessions).

What started as three weeks to slow the curve and Protect the NHS- seems to have turned into two years of beating us with a stick until no-one is in hospital and every death being a tragedy.

The radio and TV outlets bombard us with the (pretty meaningless) number of cases, number of hospitalisations and deaths, seemingly taking delight when numbers increase. The fact that 15-20,000 people die each winter with the standard flu seems forgotten.

The reality is that illness and death are (sadly) part of life. The NHS is employs 1,400,000 million people - surely they are there to treat us, rather than being a resource that people are made to feel guilty to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    Absolutely agree TLG - hospital rates miles lower than last year, the much heralded apocalypse hasn’t arrived (SAGE seem compulsive harbingers of doom; I thought we were meant to be on 1 million cases per day by now because Boris didn’t lock up the English for Christmas. They remind me of the saying in financial services that economists have predicted 15 of the last three recessions).

What started as three weeks to slow the curve and Protect the NHS- seems to have turned into two years of beating us with a stick until no-one is in hospital and every death being a tragedy.

The radio and TV outlets bombard us with the (pretty meaningless) number of cases, number of hospitalisations and deaths, seemingly taking delight when numbers increase. The fact that 15-20,000 people die each winter with the standard flu seems forgotten.

The reality is that illness and death are (sadly) part of life. The NHS is employs 1,400,000 million people - surely they are there to treat us, rather than being a resource that people are made to feel guilty to use.
    F*ck me, if the NHS employed 1,400,000 million people we could treat the world

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    F*ck me, if the NHS employed 1,400,000 million people we could treat the world

It’s employs close to that amount , not counting agency staff

It’s the biggest employer in Europe and one of the biggest in the world

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-info...s/january-2021

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It’s employs close to that amount , not counting agency staff

It’s the biggest employer in Europe and one of the biggest in the world

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-info...s/january-2021
    Think splottparker was referring to 1.4 million million!

A whoosh moment then the fact is the NHS is less under pressure now than it was in 2017/18 apparently

In 2017/18 It got so bad that 68 leading A&E doctors wrote to the prime minister to spell out their concerns.
    This is not now though. It was the winter of 2017-18 - the last bad flu season when more than 300 people a day were dying from that virus at one point.
    And that was not even a one-off. In January 2016 hospitals were cancelling routine operations, telling patients to stay away from A&E if they could, and emergency treatment areas were being set up outside some units - just as they are now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59909860

A whoosh moment then the fact is the NHS is less under pressure now than it was in 2017/18 apparently

In 2017/18 It got so bad that 68 leading A&E doctors wrote to the prime minister to spell out their concerns.
    This is not now though. It was the winter of 2017-18 - the last bad flu season when more than 300 people a day were dying from that virus at one point.
    And that was not even a one-off. In January 2016 hospitals were cancelling routine operations, telling patients to stay away from A&E if they could, and emergency treatment areas were being set up outside some units - just as they are now.

That chart showing UK public spending on health is the stand out one, look how it plummeted in 2010. Glad the current shambles have pledged to bring that back up to what it needs to be. We must have lost a fair few oldies in the last few years going from flu to covid crisis….

Does that actually say it's under less pressure now? Unless I'm misreading it, it seems to suggest the contrary.