+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drakeford pulled no punches then

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drakeford pulled no punches then

Question was “why is Wales not following england”

Drakeford.
    They have a government that is politically paralysed and the question is, why is england not taking steps
    to protect its population such as Scotland,Northern Ireland and everyone else.
    Because he (Boris) can’t get agreement from his cabinet to take actions from his advisors nor his MP’s.

Re: Drakeford pulled no punches then

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post

Drakeford.
    They have a government that is politically paralysed and the question is, why is england not taking steps
    Because he (Boris) can’t get agreement from his cabinet to take actions from his advisors nor his MP’s.
    I like him, he says it as it is; no bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I like him, he says it as it is; no bullshit.

All bullshit

Covid Hospitalisation Dec 21 v Dec 20 :

2020 1,600
    2021 600

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Covid Hospitalisation Dec 21 v Dec 20 :

2020 1,600
    2021 600
    how many would you like it to be?

Or we need to do something different and we can always blame another government body , if business go bust, we have large unemployment , poverty and mental illness in years to come , we can blame Westminster .

Population of Wales in 2021 is estimated to be 3.17 million

The breakdown of Omicron cases by health board :

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board 102 (+31)
    Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board 67 (+24)
    Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board 86 (+34)
    Aneurin Bevan University Health Board 58 (+17)
    Swansea Bay University Health Board 84 (+36)
    Hywel Dda University Health Board 22 (+14)
    Powys Teaching Health Board 16 (+7)

Total 435 (+163)

Or we need to do something different and we can always blame another government body , if business go bust, we have large unemployment , poverty and mental illness in years to come , we can blame Westminster .

)
    Its a cracking position to be in

Numbers turn out favourably for Wales --- look at us, we looked after you ( WIN )

Jobs down the pan, high unemployment --- its all Westminsters fault, not ours ( WIN )

it truly is a win - win situation, as they always have the evil empire ( England ) to blame

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Its a cracking position to be in

Numbers turn out favourably for Wales --- look at us, we looked after you ( WIN )

Jobs down the pan, high unemployment --- its all Westminsters fault, not ours ( WIN )

it truly is a win - win situation, as they always have the evil empire ( England ) to blame
    The WAG have got it easy, they only have to look after healthcare, whereas the costs not theirs to worry about.

The fraud is not their problem, so it's an easy stick to beat the UK government with

I just wish sometimes Boris would hold his hand up

Drakeford.
    No, he's just given an intensely political answer because from day one a sub plot of his entire strategy has been to emphasise that he is in charge and to create the impression of difference between England and Wales.

I'm not overly critical of his, or any leaders whole strategy as they have all made some mistakes, but the political angle has been quite noticeable in Wales and especially so in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No, he's just given an intensely political answer because from day one a sub plot of his entire strategy has been to emphasise that he is in charge and to create the impression of difference between England and Wales.

I'm not overly critical of his, or any leaders whole strategy as they have all made some mistakes, but the political angle has been quite noticeable in Wales and especially so in Scotland.
    He's not wrong in saying that in the UK and most of Europe that England's approach is the exception rather than the norm though is he?

Also not wrong in saying that Boris Johnson is politically paralysed, he'd struggle to get any new restrictions past his own backbenchers.

24 NHS Trusts in England have now declared a critical incident, I think he got asked a (slightly leading) question and answered it pretty accurately to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He's not wrong in saying that in the UK and most of Europe that England's approach is the exception rather than the norm though is he?

Also not wrong in saying that Boris Johnson is politically paralysed, he'd struggle to get any new restrictions past his own backbenchers.

24 NHS Trusts in England have now declared a critical incident, I think he got asked a (slightly leading) question and answered it pretty accurately to be honest
    I agree and I 'like' him too even though I don't agree with his decisions particularly on COVID

He seems to answer questions directly whether you agree with the answers or not, where I'm fed up with Boris's bluster even though I wanted him as PM

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

It's a fair point on the 'political paralysis' but nonetheless it's an attack, whereas he could just say that England are doing what they think is best and we are doing what we think is best. He politicised the answer...although I suppose thats what politicians do, but it just feels like constant points scoring and I genuinely dont think that comes from England as much, although they certainly should be criticised in other respects.

I am not privy to all current restrictions across Europe but I don't think Englands approach is particularly an outlier. The restrictions are less severe than many countries I am sure, but I dont think they are alone, and there are numerous restrictions in place even if it is more liberal than Wales.

It's a fair point on the 'political paralysis' but nonetheless it's an attack, whereas he could just say that England are doing what they think is best and we are doing what we think is best. He politicised the answer...although I suppose thats what politicians do, but it just feels like constant points scoring and I genuinely dont think that comes from England as much, although they certainly should be criticised in other respects.

I am not privy to all current restrictions across Europe but I don't think Englands approach is particularly an outlier. The restrictions are less severe than many countries I am sure, but I dont think they are alone, and there are numerous restrictions in place even if it is more liberal than Wales.
    It’s hard not to politicise the answer when the question is why isn’t Wales doing the same as England I would have thought.

He is the First Minister, any answer he gives is political by default.

I travelled through Spain, France, England and Wales during December and England was by far the most lax in terms of Covid measures.

England was also the only place that required a test to enter. I guess they have to exercise the fact they have their borders back or something.

Boris Johnson is a populist along the lines of Bolsonaro or Orban when it comes to the pandemic.

Drakeford's policies have been comparable to those in the rest of Western Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I travelled through Spain, France, England and Wales during December and England was by far the most lax in terms of Covid measures.
    What are the vaccine take-up figures in the countries you mentioned, any idea? It's not a rhetorical question, I don't know the answer, but I was under the impression that the UK was well-placed in that respect by comparison to most of the rest of Europe.

That seems such an immature way to look at it. I'd be amazed if they only make decisions to be contrary to England.

It's often been the case that England has followed Wales and Scotland juts a few weeks later.

And the Dutch, French, Australians etc are also demonstrating that they are different to England or are they acting in the interests of their country and citizens?

Just remember, up to this point every postponement has been down to COVID, hospital waits are down to pressure from COVID and staff shortages in a whole range of public and private businesses are down to COVID, not due to some deranged decision from a leader determined to be ‘different’.

Shocking by both countries .
    And they have both go it wrong . Its a bloody cold in the vast majority of cases...

The breakdown of Omicron cases by health board :
    Cardiff and Vale University Health Board 102 (+31)
    Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board 67 (+24)
    Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board 86 (+34)
    Aneurin Bevan University Health Board 58 (+17)
    Swansea Bay University Health Board 84 (+36)
    Hywel Dda University Health Board 22 (+14)
    Powys Teaching Health Board 16 (+7)

Total 435 (+163)
    Those look like the figures from 20th December based on this :
    https://phw.nhs.wales/news/public-he...irus-in-wales/
    To be fair those figures had only gone up by close to 1600% by the update of the 29th (7,369)

What happens is he and Sturgeon have a chat, decide what to do, usually should be different to England somehow and then that's what happens.

All in my opinion, I'm not privy to any such conversations although I'm sure they are exciting.

Drakeford and Welsh Labour only got covid passes through because one AM didn't bother to vote. Passes which a month or so later were to be considered worthless at outdoor events.

All leaders have been chancers during this time, I'm not convinced any know what they are doing or the route out of it.

What have they done to support the NHS during the summer to prepare.

Drakeford and co shutting things down and restricting things isn't the answer, it's just another side of Boris' coin of hoping it blows over.

Lets see what the man of principle does before the first Welsh 6 nations games lots of votes there , as per the Autumn internationals that were allowed to go ahead . ???

Drakeford.
    Ooof dissing them in public was he? Won’t go down well when he’s outside number 10 with his begging bowl will it?
    Shame he can’t admit over half the new hospital cases are people admitted for something else and they caught it in hospital whilst being treated for something else

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Ooof dissing them in public was he? Won’t go down well when he’s outside number 10 with his begging bowl will it?
    Shame he can’t admit over half the new hospital cases are people admitted for something else and they caught it in hospital whilst being treated for something else
    Begging bowl? Who helped the UK Government out when they didn’t have enough LFTs?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Begging bowl? Who helped the UK Government out when they didn’t have enough LFTs?
    Some of the shit that gets trotted out on this board about the Welsh Government and Senedd is frankly embarrassing. "Begging bowl", "Dripford" etc, some people seem unable to come to terms with a decision taken over 20 years ago! Fortunately they're in the minority nationally