+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drakeford pulled no punches then

Re: Drakeford pulled no punches then

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The WAG have got it easy, they only have to look after healthcare, whereas the costs not theirs to worry about.

The fraud is not their problem, so it's an easy stick to beat the UK government with

I just wish sometimes Boris would hold his hand up
    I wish sometimes Boris would hold his hand over his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It's an odd situation we're in with many people in Wales calling for Drakeford to ease restrictions, because there's less in England.
    Is that the only reason people are calling for Drakeford to ease restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    No, but it's a comparison that's made quite often particularly in relation to hospitality and sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You know what, i was going to write something that attempted to explain why people feel the way they do about us as a nation having the ability to decide what is right for us, or at least as close as we can towards it, then i thought, nah, your post is enough for me
    I voted against a Welsh Assembly 20 years ago and I have always been against devolution. I'm not particularly into Welsh culture and I have always wanted a more Integrated Britain. I'm one of these who when asked on a form what my nationality is I always state British.

However, since Mr Drakeford has become leader and in comparison to the miasma of sleaze and confusion in Westminster I've started to change my mind. Yes there have been one or two calls Drakeford has made which I disagree with (who agrees with everyone all the time?) but I have been left with the reassuring feeling that we are in safe hands under his watch. I would be feeling decidedly different if I lived in England.

If an independent Welsh state would get us away from the Tories then it would get my vote now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    No, but it's a comparison that's made quite often particularly in relation to hospitality and sport.
    Fair enough. What I keep hearing from people who, like me, are sick to the back teeth of the restrictions Drakeford and Co keep imposing is that, now we have vaccines, boosters and Covid passports, we have to start learning to live with this damned virus come what may. And I also keep hearing people asking what the actual justification is for these restrictions when the situation is allegedly so much better now than it was this time last year, and also what the so-called 'science' is behind them. There seems to be a distinct scarcity of that at the moment.

I suppose we should look on the bright side, though. At least the venerable First Minister has downgraded the Omicron variant from a 'tsunami' to a 'storm', so things are looking up.

Fair enough. What I keep hearing from people who, like me, are sick to the back teeth of the restrictions Drakeford and Co keep imposing is that, now we have vaccines, boosters and Covid passports, we have to start learning to live with this damned virus come what may. And I also keep hearing people asking what the actual justification is for these restrictions when the situation is allegedly so much better now than it was this time last year, and also what the so-called 'science' is behind them. There seems to be a distinct scarcity of that at the moment.

I suppose we should look on the bright side, though. At least the venerable First Minister has downgraded the Omicron variant from a 'tsunami' to a 'storm', so things are looking up.
    Take a look at the state of English NHS Trusts this Friday evening to see why something had to be done. We all hate restrictions - who does want them in a normal world? - but look at the consequences of this thing running wild.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I voted against a Welsh Assembly 20 years ago and I have always been against devolution. I'm not particularly into Welsh culture and I have always wanted a more Integrated Britain. I'm one of these who when asked on a form what my nationality is I always state British.

However, since Mr Drakeford has become leader and in comparison to the miasma of sleaze and confusion in Westminster I've started to change my mind. Yes there have been one or two calls Drakeford has made which I disagree with (who agrees with everyone all the time?) but I have been left with the reassuring feeling that we are in safe hands under his watch. I would be feeling decidedly different if I lived in England.

If an independent Welsh state would get us away from the Tories then it would get my vote now.
    I voted for the welsh Assembly. purely based on the fact that any country worth it's salt should have the ability to make decisions directly, i'm all for devolved powers. I'm not a Nationalist though, and i wouldn't vote for independence, i would have some concerns over what we might get politically.

Drakeford is a good man, i've met him on a couple of occasions and he comes across as very caring, compassionate and principled. He has his faults and he has got things wrong, but overall i'm happy with him.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No, he's just given an intensely political answer because from day one a sub plot of his entire strategy has been to emphasise that he is in charge and to create the impression of difference between England and Wales.

I'm not overly critical of his, or any leaders whole strategy as they have all made some mistakes, but the political angle has been quite noticeable in Wales and especially so in Scotland.
    Shocking by both countries .
    And they have both go it wrong . Its a bloody cold in the vast majority of cases...

From my perspective , yes . Drakeford and Sturgeon rolled the political dice , they are suffocating their countries for political gain.
    And the dice isn't going to come in this time......

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Begging bowl? Who helped the UK Government out when they didn’t have enough LFTs?
    They still haven't got enough LFTs.

Boris Johnson announced his Plan B for England on 8 December. We tried to get hold of LFTs from pharmacies in Sheffield from the following day. Tried over 20 pharmacies in a 10 mile radius regularly. No chance. None in stock and they have never been in stock for more than a few hours a few times a week - and never at a time when we try to get them. Plan B relied on self testing with LFTs - and it has been a shambles from day one.

Welsh LFT Aid never made it as far as us, but it is one small indication of where the planning and competence was - not in England!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Boris Johnson announced his Plan B for England on 8 December. We tried to get hold of LFTs from pharmacies in Sheffield from the following day. Tried over 20 pharmacies in a 10 mile radius regularly. No chance. None in stock and they have never been in stock for more than a few hours a few times a week - and never at a time when we try to get them. Plan B relied on self testing with LFTs - and it has been a shambles from day one.

Welsh LFT Aid never made it as far as us, but it is one small indication of where the planning and competence was - not in England!
    Drakeford will be accused of wasting tax payers money by ordering too many LFT's .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    From my perspective , yes . Drakeford and Sturgeon rolled the political dice , they are suffocating their countries for political gain.
    And the dice isn't going to come in this time......
    Explain to me how they gain politically from their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

This whole issue of LFTs is a farce. At short notice the politicians in the home nations decide the need for more flow tests. As with any supply surge it needs managing. The way we in Wales ( and probably England) was to get a well known UK wide pharmaceutical wholesaler to distribute these to pharmacies. Health authorities oversaw the issue and for expedience most pharmacies got a large box full of tests per day, whether a busy high street chemist or a quiet village pharmacy. Then the wholesaler stopped distribution from Christmas Eve until 29th December as they closed for Christmas!

As for Wales kind gesture to England in supplying 1 million tests, very short sighted as many of the local pharmacies in my area of Cardiff have not been able to get supplies and from news bulletins this seems to be a problem throughout Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    This whole issue of LFTs is a farce. At short notice the politicians in the home nations decide the need for more flow tests. As with any supply surge it needs managing. The way we in Wales ( and probably England) was to get a well known UK wide pharmaceutical wholesaler to distribute these to pharmacies. Health authorities oversaw the issue and for expedience most pharmacies got a large box full of tests per day, whether a busy high street chemist or a quiet village pharmacy. Then the wholesaler stopped distribution from Christmas Eve until 29th December as they closed for Christmas!

As for Wales kind gesture to England in supplying 1 million tests, very short sighted as many of the local pharmacies in my area of Cardiff have not been able to get supplies and from news bulletins this seems to be a problem throughout Wales.
    We have registered online and we get our LFT's delivered for free, without fail. Fantastic service. You should try it if you're having problems.

We have registered online and we get our LFT's delivered for free, without fail. Fantastic service. You should try it if you're having problems.
    Cheers Tuerto, that was simple

Ive heard this is a really good service and available from UK Gov, not Wales gov. Good to see they are not being parochial and will supply people in Wales despite Drakeford's unnecessary critical comments about England today

Never had an issue with it either here, We shouldn’t have too many issues really for such a small population…..

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    And who funded and procured that wonderful service?

Absolutely agree TLG - hospital rates miles lower than last year, the much heralded apocalypse hasn’t arrived (SAGE seem compulsive harbingers of doom; I thought we were meant to be on 1 million cases per day by now because Boris didn’t lock up the English for Christmas. They remind me of the saying in financial services that economists have predicted 15 of the last three recessions).

What started as three weeks to slow the curve and Protect the NHS- seems to have turned into two years of beating us with a stick until no-one is in hospital and every death being a tragedy.

The radio and TV outlets bombard us with the (pretty meaningless) number of cases, number of hospitalisations and deaths, seemingly taking delight when numbers increase. The fact that 15-20,000 people die each winter with the standard flu seems forgotten.

The reality is that illness and death are (sadly) part of life. The NHS is employs 1,400,000 million people - surely they are there to treat us, rather than being a resource that people are made to feel guilty to use.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And who funded and procured that wonderful service?
    Search me, I did it on the NHS Wales website.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    Absolutely agree TLG - hospital rates miles lower than last year, the much heralded apocalypse hasn’t arrived (SAGE seem compulsive harbingers of doom; I thought we were meant to be on 1 million cases per day by now because Boris didn’t lock up the English for Christmas. They remind me of the saying in financial services that economists have predicted 15 of the last three recessions).

What started as three weeks to slow the curve and Protect the NHS- seems to have turned into two years of beating us with a stick until no-one is in hospital and every death being a tragedy.

The radio and TV outlets bombard us with the (pretty meaningless) number of cases, number of hospitalisations and deaths, seemingly taking delight when numbers increase. The fact that 15-20,000 people die each winter with the standard flu seems forgotten.

The reality is that illness and death are (sadly) part of life. The NHS is employs 1,400,000 million people - surely they are there to treat us, rather than being a resource that people are made to feel guilty to use.
    F*ck me, if the NHS employed 1,400,000 million people we could treat the world

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You're welcome mate, although don't expect me to deliver them as well

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Ive heard this is a really good service and available from UK Gov, not Wales gov. Good to see they are not being parochial and will supply people in Wales despite Drakeford's unnecessary critical comments about England today
    We gave England a million or so LFT's for free, that's not being parochial in my book

You're welcome mate, although don't expect me to deliver them as well
    I shall be expecting you to administer the tests actually.