+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Former players lay into Cardiff City boss Steve Morison

Former players lay into Cardiff City boss Steve Morison

Danny Gabbidon and Iwan Roberts didn't hold back in their criticism of the Bluebirds' manager

https://nation.cymru/sport/pundits-s...xdDEoR34IDSVXY

Re: Former players lay into Cardiff City boss Steve Morison

Gabbs and Roberts got it spot on, pretty much what was said on here.

He’s too arrogant to care what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    He’s too arrogant to care what they say.
    This

I thought initially it was because he might be feeling the pressure?
    Last few games, results have hardly improved
    Otherwise it's a cowardly thing to do, having a go at a young lad in public, if it wasn't working for whatever reason take him off, tell the press he felt a twinge, and sort it out in the dressing room and leave it there.
    If he took that action against a youngster he should have butted Bacuna as he came off the pitch!!

To easy to lay into a youngster and he's lost a lot of the support and good will from fans in my view with his comments

Think it has been made into a bigger issue than it was.

He himself felt the player wasn't doing what he had asked for him so he subbed him off.

From that he was then asked a direct question. Unless he lies and says its an injury, any resulting comment will be some sort of negative take on Davies' performance.

He doesn't seem to shy away from making decisions and he seems to say what he thinks.

That will rub some professional players, ex players and fans up the wrong way but then so seemingly did Warnock's faux praise of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

He himself felt the player wasn't doing what he had asked for him so he subbed him off.

From that he was then asked a direct question. Unless he lies and says its an injury, any resulting comment will be some sort of negative take on Davies' performance.

He doesn't seem to shy away from making decisions and he seems to say what he thinks.

That will rub some professional players, ex players and fans up the wrong way but then so seemingly did Warnock's faux praise of everything.
    Well, that just shows it’s a difficult job he’s got. Fans don’t want bland answers, but I asked the day after we played Bournemouth whether there were any other cases besides Adam Matthews where a City manager had piled into a (young) player like Morison did to Davies, nobody has come up with one yet. To defend Morison a bit, I think the case of Chanka Zimba at Preston was a bit different - I don’t remember Morison being too critical of Zimba, but he had clearly struggled (for me, he’s the only young player to make his first team debut this season for whom the step up looked too much for right from the first whistle) and we were losing, bringing on James Collins for him was sensible and it worked.

I’ve seen it said that Morison shouldn’t be given full credit for the emergence of all these young players who’ve appeared in the first team lately because he’s only been here for the final stages of their development. I’d agree with that, but if it’s arguable as to whether Morison has improved them, I think it has to be accepted that, at the very least, he hasn’t made then worse. Based on some of the things he said about players after under 23 matches he was in charge of, he is a hard task master. This isn’t a bad thing, but there seems to be no allowance made for the higher standard the likes of Isaak Davies is now playing at.

I daresay that some will say that Davies is a first teamer now and should be treated as such, which is fair I suppose, except that the established first teamers at the club who have been more of a hindrance than a help all season never get treated like Davies was - it was crass, naive, bad management by someone still learning the job.

Thing is, he's a coach, not a manager. He's learning that side of things on the job, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Thing is, he's a coach, not a manager. He's learning that side of things on the job, so to speak.
    He’s been in the game long enough to know what he said was extremely harsh and not the done thing.

He admitted as much when he said it ffs.

It’s was the football equivalent of “nothing personal, but....”

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’s been in the game long enough to know what he said was extremely harsh and not the done thing.

He admitted as much when he said it ffs.

It’s was the football equivalent of “nothing personal, but....”
    He seemed to have lost his head a bit. Whatever people say in defence of Morison these type of comments really aren't the done thing in football, as a rule managers who behave in that kind of way don't last. Players make sure of that. I'm not completely making the comparison, but didn't Paulo Di canio haul off his keeper after 30 minutes or something similar when he managed Swindon Town? He may have thought that it was right for the team, but I reckon that if I had been on that Swindon side I'd have thought that Di canio was a right **** for humiliating a team mate like that In front of the supporters and media.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He seemed to have lost his head a bit. Whatever people say in defence of Morison these type of comments really aren't the done thing in football, as a rule managers who behave in that kind of way don't last. Players make sure of that. I'm not completely making the comparison, but didn't Paulo Di canio haul off his keeper after 30 minutes or something similar when he managed Swindon Town? He may have thought that it was right for the team, but I reckon that if I had been on that Swindon side I'd have thought that Di canio was a right **** for humiliating a team mate like that In front of the supporters and media.
    He hasn’t been very impressive in interviews so far, his comments about Collins suffering from external noise made no sense either!

We missed a trick not going all out to get Chris Wilder, he’ll get Middlesbrough into the play offs this year. Guess we just couldn’t afford him ( or want to) but may end up being a false economy

What stays with me is the words from Gabbs and Roberts about Morison not bawling out our useless defenders and midfielders.

Coward's game to pick on the kids.

If he’s willing to call out the youngsters then he needs to do the same with the senior pros.

I still think he was a decent choice when it was clear we couldn’t get Wilder but I think he needs to improve a few things if he wants the job past the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcbluebird View Post
    Danny Gabbidon and Iwan Roberts didn't hold back in their criticism of the Bluebirds' manager

https://nation.cymru/sport/pundits-s...xdDEoR34IDSVXY
    Maybe they should throw thier expert hat into the ring .

I much prefer when a question its asked its answered honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Maybe they should throw thier expert hat into the ring .

I much prefer when a question its asked its answered honestly.
    Gabbidon did step up and co manage when needed. Also what question was asked? "Was Davies a help or a hindrance?"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post