+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Africa Cup Of Nations

Africa Cup Of Nations

Anyone taking much interest in this competition, the African equivalent of the Euros ? A lot of British based players on view, anyone got any thoughts or predictions ?

Re: Africa Cup Of Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Anyone taking much interest in this competition, the African equivalent of the Euros ? A lot of British based players on view, anyone got any thoughts or predictions ?
    I've watched bits and pieces of matches, and quite enjoyed some of it. Ivory Coast v Egypt later looks quite tasty.

there was an absolute belter of a goal last night, one of the best I've ever seen in a major international competition

I have to say, even though I am very interested in world football, and particularly in club football, different leagues and how they are developing etc, I don't have any real interest in the continental international tournaments outside of the European Championship.

Africa Cup of Nations probably more interesting than the Concacaf or Asian equivalents, but can't say there's much interest really.

It doesn't help that attendances always seem to be absolutely awful. And I get that this is obviously not a wealthy continent, but you would have thought tickets may be prices accordingly. Most games seem to be nearly empty - it doesn't encourage outside interest.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I have to say, even though I am very interested in world football, and particularly in club football, different leagues and how they are developing etc, I don't have any real interest in the continental international tournaments outside of the European Championship.

Africa Cup of Nations probably more interesting than the Concacaf or Asian equivalents, but can't say there's much interest really.
    I'm the same, between avidly following City and Wales, and having an interest in the Premier League (mostly due to FPL) I feel all footballed out and struggle to have any enthusiasm for The African Cup of Nations, Copa America, Women's football etc, although I do look for the Welsh women's team's results

It doesn't help that attendances always seem to be absolutely awful. And I get that this is obviously not a wealthy continent, but you would have thought tickets may be prices accordingly. Most games seem to be nearly empty - it doesn't encourage outside interest.
    In the last one in Egypt (19) they'd go from +70,000 for the big teams and home nation, to 2000 odd for some others.

Football or food? What to do? Asks concerned from Tunbridge Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Football or food? What to do? Asks concerned from Tunbridge Wells.
    I'm sure there's a belting gag here I am missing, but I can't see it!?

I'm sure there's a belting gag here I am missing, but I can't see it!?
    It wasn't a dig. Sometimes things just pop into my head and when I use voice-assisted type it doesn't always translate well. Hope you're having a great day Mr J.

This is the first tournament that I've been able to watch more than one or two games and I've really enjoyed it. AFCON must have some of the best kits in world football as well, some absolute belters on display.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackityJones View Post
    This is the first tournament that I've been able to watch more than one or two games and I've really enjoyed it. AFCON must have some of the best kits in world football as well, some absolute belters on display.
    There are some cracking kits. Well worth watching for the football fashionistas.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It wasn't a dig. Sometimes things just pop into my head and when I use voice-assisted type it doesn't always translate well. Hope you're having a great day Mr J.
    Ha, no I didn't think it was! I just wasn't sure what you meant!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm the same, between avidly following City and Wales, and having an interest in the Premier League (mostly due to FPL) I feel all footballed out and struggle to have any enthusiasm for The African Cup of Nations, Copa America, Women's football etc, although I do look for the Welsh women's team's results
    This about sums it up for me too.

Enjoying Ivory Coast v Egypt in extra time.

Boring as ****...lack of goals..crowds..both games this evening..0.0..yawn

I'm shocked it's continued after the eight people who died and many injured in that crush.

I've been watching bits and pieces of the competition but I haven't seen a complete match so far. I don't know why but the ACON doesn't have the same appeal as the Euros.

My main interest is to guage just how long it's likely to be before an African nation wins the World Cup. There's a steady stream of real quality continuing to emerge from Africa (often via France) but in my opinion it's still some years away yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I've been watching bits and pieces of the competition but I haven't seen a complete match so far. I don't know why but the ACON doesn't have the same appeal as the Euros.

My main interest is to guage just how long it's likely to be before an African nation wins the World Cup. There's a steady stream of real quality continuing to emerge from Africa (often via France) but in my opinion it's still some years away yet.
    I actually thought the IC v Egypt game was pretty entertaining for a 0-0 draw - with the added drama of the shoot-out.
    Obviously a lot of quality on display - Eric Bailly, for instance, looked very good - but, yeah, hard to judge where these teams would rank on a world scale. (I think both teams are modestly ranked by FIFA).

Didn't watch the second game though. (Thought I better draw a line somewhere!)