+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are we seeing the changing of the guard at Cardiff City?

Re: Are we seeing the changing of the guard at Cardiff City?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    After watching todays game, I'm amazed that fans think this group of youngsters is a cause for optimism.
    Preston were a poor side, yet we managed only four shots on target in two hours play.
    This tells me there was little penetration in our play and/or poor quality finishing. This with Colwill, Davies and Harris being on the pitch for a sizeable length of time.
    A further point is that none of these has genuine pace and all three are lightweights. I also have this nagging thought that Colwill may flatter to deceive.
    I know the rest of the team were poor, but these three were in positions where they could and should influence attacking play, but there was little evidence that they were effective at that.
    Davies scored a goal - which the goalie should have dealt with his foot. Harris' goal was the highlight of the game. As soon as their defender messed up, it was four on two and we should have scored - yet the cross wasn't brilliant and Collins made a pigs ear of controlling the ball before it ran, more by luck than judgement to Harris - though to be fair his shot was decisive.
    Even with the players to come in, I think the rest of the season is going to be a struggle with or without the youngsters but of more concern is the quality of the football - which was slow, predictable and abysmal for much of the time (even with those three playing). Several times I thought 'Thank goodness I'm not there freezing and watching this.' At least I could fall asleep in front of the fire during the game - which I did.
    Think you’re being a tad critical of a side that was full of inexperienced youngsters, Morison maybe should have started one or two of the senior players.

After watching todays game, I'm amazed that fans think this group of youngsters is a cause for optimism.
    Preston were a poor side, yet we managed only four shots on target in two hours play.
    This tells me there was little penetration in our play and/or poor quality finishing. This with Colwill, Davies and Harris being on the pitch for a sizeable length of time.
    A further point is that none of these has genuine pace and all three are lightweights. I also have this nagging thought that Colwill may flatter to deceive.
    I know the rest of the team were poor, but these three were in positions where they could and should influence attacking play, but there was little evidence that they were effective at that.
    Davies scored a goal - which the goalie should have dealt with his foot. Harris' goal was the highlight of the game. As soon as their defender messed up, it was four on two and we should have scored - yet the cross wasn't brilliant and Collins made a pigs ear of controlling the ball before it ran, more by luck than judgement to Harris - though to be fair his shot was decisive.
    Even with the players to come in, I think the rest of the season is going to be a struggle with or without the youngsters but of more concern is the quality of the football - which was slow, predictable and abysmal for much of the time (even with those three playing). Several times I thought 'Thank goodness I'm not there freezing and watching this.' At least I could fall asleep in front of the fire during the game - which I did.
    Be interested to hear your opinion on how Nelson, Morrison, Pack, Vaulks and Collins played and how they and others such as Flint, Bacuna, Ralls and Moore have played all season. Not all of those have been poor in my opinion, but I think it will be the youngsters who we'll need to rely on more if we're to stay up.

I don't really disagree, I think it has been hard to really see the best of them as they are being relied on to create and score in a struggling team when for me they aren't really ready.

Colwill has some technique but seems too slow in thought and movement, he often gets the ball taken from him as if he is expecting far more space than is given. He has Whitts pace, not a deal breaker but his best position needs some thought.

Had he recently had a growth spurt? Still looks like he isn't fully comfortable with his height. With the technique he has it could be a great asset for him.

Davies has something, he can dribble well and actually has pace, although whether he is quick or just isn't going in reverse like the rest of the squad I can't work out.

He needs a season in the men's game to bulk up.

Ideally both would have been given some minutes sparingly and had a decent loan. I'm not sure either are ready for this level week in week out but by next season they should be more able to show what they have.

Harris I think is doing alright for us, does things that Moore and Collins won't, will be competing with Watters. Will get more minutes when Moore is sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Think you’re being a tad critical of a side that was full of inexperienced youngsters, Morison maybe should have started one or two of the senior players.
    You mean players like Phillips, Ng, Nelson, Morrison, Pack, Vaulks and Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Be interested to hear your opinion on how Nelson, Morrison, Pack, Vaulks and Collins played and how they and others such as Flint, Bacuna, Ralls and Moore have played all season. Not all of those have been poor in my opinion, but I think it will be the youngsters who we'll need to rely on more if we're to stay up.
    I really don't understand why some are determined to give the youngsters stick when our most of our senior players have been utter crap this season, many often much worse than the youngsters

Colwill probably has been overhyped as he needs to learn a lot but that’s not his fault. It comes from the desperation to find a silver lining in a pretty dire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Colwill probably has been overhyped as he needs to learn a lot but that’s not his fault. It comes from the desperation to find a silver lining in a pretty dire season.
    he's still a teenager, and has a teenagers build. he's ahead of schedule as far as I'm concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It's not just us though, Page clearly sees something in him being that he took him to the Euro's. He's not going to be a Ramsey but he should have a decent career

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    On Sunday, with a team of experienced players and youngsters, against a poor Preston team, we managed four shots on target in two hours play.
    The league table doesn't lie. We have the third worse goal difference in the division. If Reading even draw their match in hand and if you factor in Derby's 'true' league position, we would be in the relegation places. Sad to say, we are in a relegation dog fight - and I'm not optimistic that the club will bring in needed better players in January.
    Re: those nine players you list, since they have played for much of the season, with the exception of Flint and Ralls imo, they are responsible for our league position. Moore has been an enigma for me - how fit has he been? how much has he been affected by the summer transfer saga? has he fallen out with manager(s)? His body language and performances suggest there is a problem. As for Morrison, I have always regarded him as one of our dependable players - but he was terrible yesterday. Ponderous, dragged out of position and when he pushed the Preston player over in the penalty area yesterday, I thought a penalty might be awarded. Collins and Vaulks have been very average.
    If anyone thinks that inexperienced players can be brought in to reverse our slide, they might think again.
    As it stands, I have doubts about the qualities of the manager and even wonder if the style of play attempted is beyond the capabilities of the players. The other thing I noticed yesterday was that despite the 27 fouls committed by City, Preston looked to be the stronger team - particularly their defence.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It's not just us though, Page clearly sees something in him being that he took him to the Euro's. He's not going to be a Ramsey but he should have a decent career
    yeah it's important to remember we may never get another prospect like Ramsey.
    he's played more than 50 champions League matches and is one of the highest paid footballers in UK history.
    we are trying to produce players who can be a good squad player for the championship as a minimum, and any better than that then great.

Only at Cardiff City. FFS.

Preston had won their last 2 games and 3 out if their last 5, and look pretty safe from relegation this season. they have a decent defence and their games tend to be tight with few chances at either end.
    they aren't a terrible side, there is no shame at all in beating them In extra time.
    we made the better chances and won.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he's played more than 50 champions League matches and is one of the highest paid footballers in UK history.
    we are trying to produce players who can be a good squad player for the championship as a minimum, and any better than that then great.
    ....on a shoestring budget

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Exactly, Ramsey isn't the player we should be comparing people to but more like the likes of Ledley and Gunter. I've seen posters comparing our youngsters to the likes of Gallagher, Mount etc and complaining they're not at that level, that's ridiculous. We're a Championship club with a category 2 academy, we should compare ourselves with other clubs at that level