Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
I like the back 3 (not back 5)
I don't think we would be playing any better In a back 4
Our central defenders are more suited to a back 4. None have ever looked truly at home in a back 3. At present our wing backs are definitely better as full backs. The senior midfielders lack the dynamism, athleticism and drive to function effectively as a 2 in this system. They also have neither the creativity nor positional awareness to make up for that, Pack and Vaulks might as well have been holding hands at times today whilst at others there were huge gaps. There is also a (understandable) hesitancy on their behalf to get forward as they'll leave their partner completely exposed. Consequently we have too few numbers in attack, leaving the front 3 plus Giles (when he was here) on their own to muster something, usually from a cross. The front 3 is also a mess. The two players playing alongside the main striker never look comfortable nor seem to know where to be, they often look lost. There's very little interplay as a result.

The system really doesn't work, nothing I've seen this season suggests it will work either. Maybe it will next season with a different squad but I see little point persevering with a system so ill-suited to our current squad, especially considering most won't be here next season so it's not like we can develop an understanding as a team