Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
After watching todays game, I'm amazed that fans think this group of youngsters is a cause for optimism.
Preston were a poor side, yet we managed only four shots on target in two hours play.
This tells me there was little penetration in our play and/or poor quality finishing. This with Colwill, Davies and Harris being on the pitch for a sizeable length of time.
A further point is that none of these has genuine pace and all three are lightweights. I also have this nagging thought that Colwill may flatter to deceive.
I know the rest of the team were poor, but these three were in positions where they could and should influence attacking play, but there was little evidence that they were effective at that.
Davies scored a goal - which the goalie should have dealt with his foot. Harris' goal was the highlight of the game. As soon as their defender messed up, it was four on two and we should have scored - yet the cross wasn't brilliant and Collins made a pigs ear of controlling the ball before it ran, more by luck than judgement to Harris - though to be fair his shot was decisive.
Even with the players to come in, I think the rest of the season is going to be a struggle with or without the youngsters but of more concern is the quality of the football - which was slow, predictable and abysmal for much of the time (even with those three playing). Several times I thought 'Thank goodness I'm not there freezing and watching this.' At least I could fall asleep in front of the fire during the game - which I did.
Think you’re being a tad critical of a side that was full of inexperienced youngsters, Morison maybe should have started one or two of the senior players.