+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Player is going to have the best career? Prediction Thread.

Re: Which Player is going to have the best career? Prediction Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Will Davies get bigger and stronger though? He is twenty I wouldn’t imagine he would grow much more. It was noticeable in our FA youth cup game against Watford that they were much bigger than us almost to a man. Thought we had the better footballers but they just out muscled us. I think one of the reasons Cowill was the first to come through is he is big and can handle the physical rigours of the game. Jack Charlton used to say a good big un is always better than a good little un. Think he was right.
    Gareth Bale certainly got a lot bigger and stronger at an older age to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    As title says who will have the best career, if the thread doesn’t get deleted, hopefully someone will bump it one day and we can see how wrong we all were. Feel free to predict who will have best football career for either just us, or in general. Also feel free to make any other predictions.(CCFC related!!)

George Ratcliffe - 21

Joel Bagan - 20
    Oliver Denham - 19
    Mark Mcguinness - 21

Sam Bowen - 20
    Kieron Evans - 20
    Eli King - 19
    Keenan Patton - 20
    Tom Sang - 22

Isaak Davies - 20
    Mark Harris - 23
    Rubin Colwill - 19
    Chanka Zimba - 20
    Max Watters - 22
    Davies looks to have something, but how many top players do you see his size? Suppose Messi and Owen were ok.

Colwill is doing well but needs to keep progressing.

Be interesting to see how Zimba gets on at the Cobblers

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Davies looks to have something, but how many top players do you see his size? Suppose Messi and Owen were ok.

Colwill is doing well but needs to keep progressing.

Be interesting to see how Zimba gets on at the Cobblers
    The greatest player of all time Diego Maradona.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The greatest player of all time Diego Maradona.
    David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Iniesta...

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Iniesta...
    Darcy Blake

Kieron Evan's has looked sharp and pacy each time he has played. He may very well have a future in the game.

If you’re old enough to have seen Tony Evans, Carl Dale and Earnie play for City, then I hope you aren’t one of those saying that Isaak Davies isn’t big enough or strong enough at the moment. I’ve been watching Isaak since he was fourteen or fifteen and he has always been up against taller and heavier boys, but has not done too badly on it. The thing is, while you can say that the players marking him now are bigger and stronger than he has been used to, that is to ignore that his body has developed as well in recent years and so the challenge he faces is, in essence, the same as the one he has always faced.

Players the size of the fine City strikers I mentioned earlier and Isaak can be made to look weak sometimes when they are challenged while off balance or when their body is not “set” to receive a challenge, but their low centre of gravity gives them a base with a surprising strength that, in some respects, the taller player does not possess in terms of that base I mention. My favourite City player of all time, Ian Gibson, provides an extreme example of this as he was a squat individual who was certainly no taller than any of the players I’ve mentioned, but, when he received the ball with his back to an opponent, that player would not be able to come through the back and “outstrength” him.

Davies has the advantage that the game is much more sympathetically refereed these days as well for players of his type and so, bigger, taller opponents face a more difficult task dealing with someone who is more quick and agile than them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Harry Maguire was playing in League One at the age McGuinness is now. I mention him only because I think centre back is a position in which players often seem to get significantly better (and considerably more valuable) with age and experience.

Of course, the same is true for all positions to a degree, but I think if a midfielder or a striker is going to be top class, you can generally see their qualities at an earlier age.

McGuinness makes mistakes, but I think he’s been showing plenty of potential and the fact that he’s already racked up 40 Football League starts by the age of 21 is impressive. I think he’s a really decent prospect.

Although a few of the other young players are certainly showing promise, I haven’t been especially impressed by any of them so far.
    I take your point on defenders potentially maturing with age but Maguire was sold to a Premier League team for ca. £2.5m at 21, so I guess the potential had been spotted then (even if he was loaned out) McGuinness was at a Premier League club for ca.10 years and signed for us for nothing though. He may come good but it’ll take longer than Maguire took

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I take your point on defenders potentially maturing with age but Maguire was sold to a Premier League team for ca. £2.5m at 21, so I guess the potential had been spotted then (even if he was loaned out) McGuinness was at a Premier League club for ca.10 years and signed for us for nothing though. He may come good but it’ll take longer than Maguire took
    When’s Maguire going to come good

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    When’s Maguire going to come good
    I thought that too 🤣

Aguero is about the same height as Isaak.

No reason why Isaak wont get stronger to add to his attributes.

My choice is still McGuinness , however I think Tom Sang could well be a dark horse

Aguero is about the same height as Isaak.

No reason why Isaak wont get stronger to add to his attributes.
    Aguero? And someone mentioned Maradona. Why are we comparing him to two of the best players we've ever seen at their positions? I think he looks quite strong on the ball. And he's got guts. I think he's already holding his own at this level.

Mcguinness and Colwill are my clear 2, if we can get 15+ all comp games into the majority of those boys by the end of the season and don't get relegated I'll be very pleased with the season.

Be interested to see when the current contracts those are on expire? Hopefully we've tied them down to a decent length contract already

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Being seen as potentially good enough for Hull and not good enough for Arsenal are two very different things

McGuinness and Davies are the two for me - after being critical Davies' cameo at WBA recently (and I rarely get frustrated by players) it was great to see him take the chance on the weekend.
    I don't think I've ever seen Keiran Evans play - has he made any first team appearances?
    What a pleasant change to even have this to ponder ... when's the last time was had any youngsters breaking through?

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    McGuinness and Davies are the two for me - after being critical Davies' cameo at WBA recently (and I rarely get frustrated by players) it was great to see him take the chance on the weekend.
    I don't think I've ever seen Keiran Evans play - has he made any first team appearances?
    What a pleasant change to even have this to ponder ... when's the last time was had any youngsters breaking through?
    Yes - 5 appearances. He came on as a sub for all of extra time against Preston on Sunday.

Mcguinness and Davis for me

both will push on and make a high grade footballer

but what a thread, only 2 years ago we were moaning about lack of youngsters, credit to the club that we are having this discussion

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Being seen as potentially good enough for Hull and not good enough for Arsenal are two very different things
    Other than the fact that they sound like very similar things, I’m not sure what its got to do with the price of fish?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Yes - 5 appearances. He came on as a sub for all of extra time against Preston on Sunday.
    Thanks - I watched that game on stream too! I clearly wasn't paying attention!

I did pick Colwill and still think he will have a good career.

Have to change my prediction to Isaak Davies though.

I did pick Colwill and still think he will have a good career.

Have to change my prediction to Isaak Davies though.
    Recency bias at its finest :p