+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Player is going to have the best career? Prediction Thread.

Which Player is going to have the best career? Prediction Thread.

As title says who will have the best career, if the thread doesn’t get deleted, hopefully someone will bump it one day and we can see how wrong we all were. Feel free to predict who will have best football career for either just us, or in general. Also feel free to make any other predictions.(CCFC related!!)

George Ratcliffe - 21

Joel Bagan - 20
    Oliver Denham - 19
    Mark Mcguinness - 21

Sam Bowen - 20
    Kieron Evans - 20
    Eli King - 19
    Keenan Patton - 20
    Tom Sang - 22

Isaak Davies - 20
    Mark Harris - 23
    Rubin Colwill - 19
    Chanka Zimba - 20
    Max Watters - 22

Re: Which Player is going to have the best career? Prediction Thread.

Colwill.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    As title says who will have the best career, if the thread doesn’t get deleted, hopefully someone will bump it one day and we can see how wrong we all were. Feel free to predict who will have best football career for either just us, or in general. Also feel free to make any other predictions.(CCFC related!!)

George Ratcliffe - 21

Joel Bagan - 20
    Oliver Denham - 19
    Mark Mcguinness - 21

Sam Bowen - 20
    Kieron Evans - 20
    Eli King - 19
    Keenan Patton - 20
    Tom Sang - 22

Isaak Davies - 20
    Mark Harris - 23
    Rubin Colwill - 19
    Chanka Zimba - 20
    Max Watters - 22
    Are you banning us from making non-CCFC predictions then? You must know where that might lead.

McGuiness
    Davies
    Colwill
    Bagan

in that order I have the most confidence of making it far in the game.
    any of them have a chance (plus Connolly on loan at Bristol Rovers perhaps) which is great.

Davies because he’s got something you cant teach - pace. And defenders are scared of pace. He’s a bit small now but hopefully in time he will grow a bit and get stronger.

Bowen looks the most assured on the ball out of all the midfield youngsters. Bellers reckons better players he plays with the better he will become so maybe he’ll have to move on from City to get the most out of his ability / career.

McGuiness looks a future captain. Could go on to play a higher level if he becomes more comfortable in possession.

Those are my 3 picks.

Mcguinness

It’s said that Cian Ashford could be the best of the lot.

It’s quite impressive that someone like McGuinness is being rested for cup games already and, although it’s not as impressive a claim as it would have been in other seasons, I’d say he’s already our best central defender.

The more I’ve seen of our four senior central midfielders, the more convinced I become that Sam Bowen playing as he did for the under 23s on the second half of last season will improve us in that area.

I could go on, but as Eric says in another thread, we’re already in a position where the younger players provide better options than their senior, “undroppable” team mates in many cases. There is a good opportunity for all of those listed to make a name for themselves if they are given the encouragement- it won’t happen, but none of them are obviously not good enough to make it.

Great thread.

And would go along with most comments

Semenyo also has a great career ahead of him, although I think eventually he will play further up the pitch as winger... But playing wing back at the moment is helping his development.

I like the look of Ashford... Seems to have a bit of everything.... Great finisher, mobile, robust.

There are also some U18s I could mention but that would detract from the thread.

One comment though..... I do think all of these young players would benefit from a more experienced playmaker in the first team.... I find it incredulous that we have no playmaker or creative force in the team. The youngsters, whether a defender looking to pass the ball, a winger looking to receive the ball or a striker looking to get onto a decent ball, would all benefit from a more creative midfield.

I know that sounds obvious but it is a glaring hole in our team and their development will be delayed while we have that hole.

McGuinness is already on his way to having a very good career at cb.

Of the academy lads, I’ll go for Bowen. He was starting to look like one our best options at cm until the injury. Hopefully he comes back soon and kicks on further.

From the ones I've seen, and not in any order

McGuiness
    Davies
    Colwill

Nice to see so many youngsters on the books

Isaac Davies for me, he looks like he will be our best youth player since Ramsey in my opinion. Will be a future starter for Wales if he continues on this path.

Davies or Zimba. Both still very raw.

I'd go for Zimba, seems to score goals for fun, at u23 level granted but he looks to have most attributes needed.

Be interesting to see how he gets on at Northampton.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Davies because he’s got something you cant teach - pace. And defenders are scared of pace. He’s a bit small now but hopefully in time he will grow a bit and get stronger.

Bowen looks the most assured on the ball out of all the midfield youngsters. Bellers reckons better players he plays with the better he will become so maybe he’ll have to move on from City to get the most out of his ability / career.

McGuiness looks a future captain. Could go on to play a higher level if he becomes more comfortable in possession.

Those are my 3 picks.
    Will Davies get bigger and stronger though? He is twenty I wouldn’t imagine he would grow much more. It was noticeable in our FA youth cup game against Watford that they were much bigger than us almost to a man. Thought we had the better footballers but they just out muscled us. I think one of the reasons Cowill was the first to come through is he is big and can handle the physical rigours of the game. Jack Charlton used to say a good big un is always better than a good little un. Think he was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Will Davies get bigger and stronger though? He is twenty I wouldn’t imagine he would grow much more. It was noticeable in our FA youth cup game against Watford that they were much bigger than us almost to a man. Thought we had the better footballers but they just out muscled us. I think one of the reasons Cowill was the first to come through is he is big and can handle the physical rigours of the game. Jack Charlton used to say a good big un is always better than a good little un. Think he was right.
    So, going by the laws of the internet, you're saying that Andy Carroll is better than Messi? You're clueless about football m8

Cian Ashford if what we hear about him is true

Of the ones we've seen I'd say McGuinness will certainly go on to have a career at this level at least. I think Colwill & Davies probably will too

Bowen's probably in a delicate situation where he needs a clear run through to the end of the season to cement a place in our squad otherwise he may just drift further and further away from the team. Same probably goes for Sang.

I think Mark Harris has to be given a lot of credit, his career seemed to be drifting away but he's come out of nowhere to stake a claim as a regular in a Championship squad and even an international. He may not be the most talented of that group but his work ethic is exceptional and he's a fairly decent finisher who clearly cares about the club, I was delighted he scored yesterday and even more so when his prediction of Liverpool away came true!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    From the ones I've seen, and not in any order

McGuiness
    Davies
    Colwill

Nice to see so many youngsters on the books
    Agree with that.

McGuiness by a fair stretch

Then Davies

Darcy Blake

McGuinness by a distance.

Isaac Vassell. Money for nothing.

I don’t think any of them are going to have a stellar career… if that was true they’d probably already be somewhere else, but the majority are already probably too old. From what I’ve seen Colwill looks most likely to flourish at a club outside the top 10. We certainly don’t have another Aaron Ramsey in our midst

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I don’t think any of them are going to have a stellar career… if that was true they’d probably already be somewhere else, but the majority are already probably too old. From what I’ve seen Colwill looks most likely to flourish at a club outside the top 10. We certainly don’t have another Aaron Ramsey in our midst
    if we have 2 or 3 from this crop making it at championship level that is a massive improvement on where we have been for a long long time.

it would make our transfer dealings in the summer so much easier if those 2 or 3 positions are nailed on.

Colwill for me. He has the x factor, which will allow him to play at a high level.

Mark Harris will have a successful professional career, but not at the highest level.

I like McGuiness, but I think his distribution needs to improve.

Based on ability I'd say Bowen. He has that knack of always finding space which is the sign of a good player, is adept technically, and remains composed in tight situations. Based on what Bellamy and others have said though, it seems like he needs to be pushed and motivated, so I guess a lot depends on how he's managed and how much he wants to improve and push on.

I would say that at this point, McGuinness is already an established Championship centre half. Not sure if that says more about us than about him.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I don’t think any of them are going to have a stellar career… if that was true they’d probably already be somewhere else, but the majority are already probably too old.
    Harry Maguire was playing in League One at the age McGuinness is now. I mention him only because I think centre back is a position in which players often seem to get significantly better (and considerably more valuable) with age and experience.

Of course, the same is true for all positions to a degree, but I think if a midfielder or a striker is going to be top class, you can generally see their qualities at an earlier age.

McGuinness makes mistakes, but I think he’s been showing plenty of potential and the fact that he’s already racked up 40 Football League starts by the age of 21 is impressive. I think he’s a really decent prospect.

Although a few of the other young players are certainly showing promise, I haven’t been especially impressed by any of them so far.