+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Devolution Wales v Scotland/NI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Devolution Wales v Scotland/NI

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This. Too many aspirational Tories. Too many royalists. Too many people afraid to do anything. Leaving the UK and joining the EU is a political and financial no-brainer. We'd have a say, and we'd get a TON of investment.
    Well thats one take on it I suppose! I don't see how you can accuse Wales of having too many people afraid to do anything when we voted to leave the EU which quite clearly was quite a radical thing to do - and will result in a lot more powers for the senedd too as in devolved areas, Wales will gain what Brussels had. Farming for example.

As one of Western Europe's poorer areas we would get some EU invetsmebt but it would absolutely pale into insignificance compared to UK finding, which people never seem to mention btw.

Wales has public expenditure of 11,000 per head. England is £9,600. The sad reality is we spend far more than we earn, so leaving the UK and joining the EU absolutely would not deliver what you say and it most definitely is not a 'no brainer'

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...-november-2020

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Well thats one take on it I suppose! I don't see how you can accuse Wales of having too many people afraid to do anything when we voted to leave the EU which quite clearly was quite a radical thing to do - and will result in a lot more powers for the senedd too as in devolved areas, Wales will gain what Brussels had. Farming for example.

As one of Western Europe's poorer areas we would get some EU invetsmebt but it would absolutely pale into insignificance compared to UK finding, which people never seem to mention btw.

Wales has public expenditure of 11,000 per head. England is £9,600. The sad reality is we spend far more than we earn, so leaving the UK and joining the EU absolutely would not deliver what you say and it most definitely is not a 'no brainer'

there's a difference between spending and investment.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

This just supports my original argument. They just went along with what the English were doing. Scotland didn't.

As for public expenditure, of course it's higher in Wales than in England. England is where all the money is. If Wales became part of the world's second-largest GDP, expenditure becomes investment.