+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 Years Of Labour ( Interesting read )

Re: 100 Years Of Labour ( Interesting read )

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Why not just not click on it? Let alone going to the effort of commenting twice
    Why not just post the boring shit in the politics section in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Why not just post the boring shit in the politics section in the first place.
    Yeah but why not just not click on it though

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yeah but why not just not click on it though
    Because you have to click on it to post your opinion that it should be posted in the politics section

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Because you have to click on it to post your opinion that it should be posted in the politics section
    I'm disappointed Stan. I thought you were here for the group hug mate!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I know what you mean, but whilst Wales is wedded to the Labour party, I don't think Wales is some bastion of left-wing politics, certainly not in the cultural or social sense in which it tends to be most associated nowadays. I dont for example view Wales as being particularly left wing on most social issues, in fact we are arguably one of the more socially conservative parts of the UK.

Definitely agree that the relationship with Westminster complicates it all though.
    I think it also depends how you define left wing and how this has changed over time. I think you can - or could once more commonly - been happily described as left wing (economically) but culturally and socially conservative and it wouldn’t have been seen as some contradiction.

I think that’s definitely how I’d describe my grandparents’ generation that lived in industrial south Wales who would have all considered themselves “Labour” and “of the left”. I still find this streak in my parents’ generation too but slightly less so. But granted accepted definitions change and develop of course.