+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bristol City finances

Bristol City finances

Just announced they lost £38 million last year before tax, even when considering covid that seems a huge amount. Can anyone who follows Bristol City more closely give a rundown on what's gone wrong here?

https://twitter.com/BristolCity/stat...s33wGhS9g&s=19

Re: Bristol City finances

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Just announced they lost £38 million last year before tax, even when considering covid that seems a huge amount. Can anyone who follows Bristol City more closely give a rundown on what's gone wrong here?

https://twitter.com/BristolCity/stat...s33wGhS9g&s=19
    Stadium improvements?

Aren't you only allowed to lose £39m over 3 years before you break FFP rules?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Seems like they've done it in one.

First Team

Presumably they could make a profit this financial year to cover it? Mass Brizzle Shitty player sales coming up ...

Lost 10 million the year before too, I guess we haven’t helped as we usually pay over the odds for a few duffs every year or two, not lately though

Think FFP rules have been relaxed due to Covid. Not sure on that though? If not, the Wurzels will be under an embargo.
    Our finances probably ain’t much better or even worse?

Surprised at that. I thought they were pretty cautious financially, and they've done ok from player sales over the years, although they have let quite a few leave on frees too.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Johnson was a fan of paying over the odds and high wages on long contracts. Warnock style.

They seem stuck with a group of non performing high earners who they can’t get off the books.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Presumably they could make a profit this financial year to cover it? Mass Brizzle Shitty player sales coming up ...
    there aren't many I'd want from their squad to be honest, and we are fairly crap ourselves.

Kalas is a good player is think, apparently they played 8.1 million for him.
    they have a young midfielder called massengo that they paid over 7 million for, no idea if he's any good. you'd want him to be for that kind of money.
    Bentley is a decent keeper at this level. they paid a couple of million for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    there aren't many I'd want from their squad to be honest, and we are fairly crap ourselves.

Kalas is a good player is think, apparently they played 8.1 million for him.
    they have a young midfielder called massengo that they paid over 7 million for, no idea if he's any good. you'd want him to be for that kind of money.
    Bentley is a decent keeper at this level. they paid a couple of million for him.
    Kalas plays for his country, Czech Republic. You'd think that would be endorsement enough for someone playing in the Championship, right? However, he doesn't bring the sort of consistency to his club side that you'd expect.

Massengo is still young and can display some fine skills, however, he appears a bit lightweight and often struggles with the rigors of the Championship.

Bentley has a mistake in him in every match, Bristol City fans are now realising that. He'd be the third choice if he were at our club.

The only player I would take from them would be Andreas Weimann.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Kalas plays for his country, Czech Republic. You'd think that would be endorsement enough for someone playing in the Championship, right? However, he doesn't bring the sort of consistency to his club side that you'd expect.

Massengo is still young and can display some fine skills, however, he appears a bit lightweight and often struggles with the rigors of the Championship.

Bentley has a mistake in him in every match, Bristol City fans are now realising that. He'd be the third choice if he were at our club.

weimann is quality, but the wrong side of 30.

Tough times for many clubs , glad we are trying to manage our finances a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Tough times for many clubs , glad we are trying to manage our finances a bit better.
    Same here i'm hoping the club have woken up and realised we have to stop throwing money away.

As a result of above the EBIT (day to day) losses for Bristol City increased from £35m to £44m. Bristol City have lost £412,000 a week every week for the last ten years from day to day trading.

Surely that’s in the region for punishment from the EFL? Would they get a points deduction this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Surely that’s in the region for punishment from the EFL? Would they get a points deduction this season?
    I might be wrong on this but I think I've read somewhere that you're allowed by coincidence to have a £39 million loss over 3 seasons before you face sanctions. So hypothetically if they don't lose any money over the next 2 seasons they wouldn't get punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

They've a young wing back called Alex Scott (not the former England women player / commentator) who looks like he'll be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I might be wrong on this but I think I've read somewhere that you're allowed by coincidence to have a £39 million loss over 3 seasons before you face sanctions. So hypothetically if they don't lose any money over the next 2 seasons they wouldn't get punished.
    What about the previous 2 seasons? I’m guessing they lost money in the 19/20 season due to Covid so unless they made a decent bit of profit in the 18/19 season then surely they’re already over the £39m loss in 3 seasons limit.

Derby fans think they should get a points deduction …..

The EFL allows an adjustment for the impact of Covid on results so the adjusted loss will be significantly below the declared loss. The Covid loss adjustment has to be independently audited bit exactly how to calculate it is open to a bit of question.

The Bristol City model has for many years relied on selling players on for big profits which they have not been able to do recently and, with a depressed transfer market , is unlikely to happen in the near future either

It's terrifying really - not just the annual loses but the sustained ones over years.

And this is a club that from the outside looks well run, with a wealthy owner, assets shared with the rugby club (owned by the same guy but presumably they pay their share of running costs etc) with good crowds in a ground modestly developed in a wealthy city. Tickets there aren't particularly cheap and they use the ground throughout the week for other purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Johnson was a fan of paying over the odds and high wages on long contracts. Warnock style.

They seem stuck with a group of non performing high earners who they can’t get off the books.
    If you're not that great a side, and you want to sign a particular player, sometimes you have to tempt them into signing - like offering them a long contract, or a higher than usual salary. That's the way of the world. Does't always work though, because if it did, we'd be in the Premier by now.