+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: R.I.P. Burke Shelley

R.I.P. Burke Shelley

Sadly died l last.Great musician,singer and member of for me the best Welsh group ever.
    R.I.P Burke.

Re: R.I.P. Burke Shelley

Awful news to wake up to. Yes, Budgie were undoubtedly the best Welsh band of them all. R.I.P. Burke

First band I ever went to see.
    Barry Memorial Hall c. 1973
    Supported by Judas Priest
    Ticket 50p

Thanks, Mr Shelley

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Ticket 50p

Thanks, Mr Shelley
    Wow amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Ticket 50p

Thanks, Mr Shelley
    Saw them as the first band on the bill at Cardiff castle in July '76. They blew Curved Air, The Strawbs and even Quo at their peak off the stage. The only band that could keep up with them that day was Hawkwind

Very sad news.
    Rock in peace Burke.

I was in school with Burke Shelley. During breaks he used to play his guitar and sing to the masses. Later he became a decent bass player. RIP to a decent bloke.

Strangely, I noticed on the weekend that his camper wasn't in it's usual parking spot on Richmond Road. RIP

Sad news . I once saw them on the same bill as Man , Sassafras and they and he , were the best on the night and so underrated .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sad news . I once saw them on the same bill as Man , Sassafras and they and he , were the best on the night and so underrated .
    Man were brilliant

RIP Mr shelley

Rip Burke Shelley
    Without doubt Budgie were inspiring to so many rock/metal bands of the 80s.
    Mettalica were massive fans as their cover of Breadfan testifies.

How come Budgie get all the love? What about Badfinger?

Back in the late seventies and early eighties, I used to play drums in a couple of local bands. While I was living in Penarth, we used to rehearse in the old Pensioners Hall, which was on the side of the road, not far from Cogan railway station. To book the hall, you used to have to visit this elderly couple, who lived in one of the side streets of Cogan, and they'd give you a time and a date. I remember it seemed like every time we went to the house to book the hall, they'd say "Oh no, you can't have it then, it's booked for the budgies, for the budgies".

For a good few years we all thought that some bird fancier group were renting the place. But then one Sunday afternoon, we turned up to pick up some gear from a store room, and the place was packed with stacks and stacks of Marshall amps and speakers, with some long-haired hippies (as we thought) playing really loud. It was Budgie, not 'the budgies', and that was the only time I ever saw or heard them play.

Years later, I met Burke briefly outside Ysgol Mynydd Bychan, where our respective kids went to school. He drove a VW camper, which got me talking to him. When I realised who he was, I asked him if he remembered the Pensioners Hall, and told him the story of the old people and 'the budgies', which made him laugh. Nice fella.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Back in the late seventies and early eighties, I used to play drums in a couple of local bands. While I was living in Penarth, we used to rehearse in the old Pensioners Hall, which was on the side of the road, not far from Cogan railway station. To book the hall, you used to have to visit this elderly couple, who lived in one of the side streets of Cogan, and they'd give you a time and a date. I remember it seemed like every time we went to the house to book the hall, they'd say "Oh no, you can't have it then, it's booked for the budgies, for the budgies".

For a good few years we all thought that some bird fancier group were renting the place. But then one Sunday afternoon, we turned up to pick up some gear from a store room, and the place was packed with stacks and stacks of Marshall amps and speakers, with some long-haired hippies (as we thought) playing really loud. It was Budgie, not 'the budgies', and that was the only time I ever saw or heard them play.

Years later, I met Burke briefly outside Ysgol Mynydd Bychan, where our respective kids went to school. He drove a VW camper, which got me talking to him. When I realised who he was, I asked him if he remembered the Pensioners Hall, and told him the story of the old people and 'the budgies', which made him laugh. Nice fella.

Great story