+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid Rates in Wales - have the greater restrictions worked at all?

Covid Rates in Wales - have the greater restrictions worked at all?

Wales has 5% of the UK population and today we had 8% of the UK's Covid cases. Yesterday was similar.

Some stats are sometimes below 5% and there's a way to go yet etc, but...

Is there any firm evidence that the restrictions imposed in Wales have worked at all? Have they actually "kept Wales safe"? England had a more liberal approach and it doesn't seem to have made their cases worse.

Scotland 11,827
    Wales 11,693
    Northern Ireland 2,706
    England 115,998
    UK 142,224
    https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats

Re: Covid Rates in Wales - have the greater restrictions worked at all?

There’s a graph on the main covid thread saying that in ratio recently England has had nigh on double the hospital admissions with covid than Wales. I’d imagine hospital admissions are the main factor rather than the number of run of the mill positive tests.

Mark Drakeford presented a model at his briefing on Friday saying he expect them to continue to rise for the next few weeks.

It is looking increasingly likely that is not going to happen which is good news

Cases at this stage shouldn’t be a benchmark unless it’s correlated with the number of tests carried out.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Wales has 5% of the UK population and today we had 8% of the UK's Covid cases. Yesterday was similar.

Some stats are sometimes below 5% and there's a way to go yet etc, but...

Is there any firm evidence that the restrictions imposed in Wales have worked at all? Have they actually "kept Wales safe"? England had a more liberal approach and it doesn't seem to have made their cases worse.

Scotland 11,827
    Wales 11,693
    Northern Ireland 2,706
    England 115,998
    UK 142,224
    https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats
    Jimbo, don't go there on this. You're going to get slaughtered.

There is no way of scientifically (statistically) testing this. Basically, there are too many variables and too much missing data across the two countries.

Personally, I commend Wales' cautious approach. At least Wales can say it tried to mitigate the impacts of Covid 19.

The ONS published their extrapolated data that showed a week ago that 1 in 15 people in England had covid, whereas in Wales and Scotland it was 1 in 20.
    There's too many variables to make conclusions from 1 set of data. For example, school children are testing 3 times a week in Wales, but twice in England.
    Also, there's no mention of whether the Welsh or English numbers include people who tested positive after watching a football match in Chester 😁

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    There’s a graph on the main covid thread saying that in ratio recently England has had nigh on double the hospital admissions with covid than Wales. I’d imagine hospital admissions are the main factor rather than the number of run of the mill positive tests.
    This is the link to the graph you refer to:
    https://www.ccmb.co.uk/attachment.ph...3&d=1641824467

Looks pretty convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Jimbo, don't go there on this. You're going to get slaughtered.

There is no way of scientifically (statistically) testing this. Basically, there are too many variables and too much missing data across the two countries.

Personally, I commend Wales' cautious approach. At least Wales can say it tried to mitigate the impacts of Covid 19.
    There's loads of data out there! And people are free to present it! The array of variables goes without saying, but I would suggest there are less variables on this topic than most.

It's a fair question to ask whether these restrictions, on balance, are working.

I don't think it is possible to disagree with the hospital admissions data is it? Maybe you could argue that you have to be on death's door to be admitted into hospital in Wales whereas in England they are a bit more compassionate?

The answer to the question is almost certainly yes.

How do you prove it though.?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I don't think it is possible to disagree with the hospital admissions data is it? Maybe you could argue that you have to be on death's door to be admitted into hospital in Wales whereas in England they are a bit more compassionate?
    There is a variable with hospitalisations also. Up to half of current cases in Wales were admitted to hospital with something else and caught Covid in hospital.Mark Drakeford mentioned this.

That’s the problem there is so much data, you can make an argument either way.

Cases are a pretty rubbish measure. Did Wales do 5% of the tests in the UK? Or 10%? Or 2% or 15%? Etc. The best numbers to measure are hospitalisations and deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Cases are a pretty rubbish measure. Did Wales do 5% of the tests in the UK? Or 10%? Or 2% or 15%? Etc. The best numbers to measure are hospitalisations and deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    There is a variable with hospitalisations also. Up to half of current cases in Wales were admitted to hospital with something else and caught Covid in hospital.Mark Drakeford mentioned this.

That’s the problem there is so much data, you can make an argument either way.
    Yeah that’s a big one. I love the way I can’t go and sit outside and watch a football match but the wife can go and do a workout class in an unventilated room with 40 other women all jumping about for an hour….just makes perfect sense

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The answer to the question is almost certainly yes.

How do you prove it though.?
    How is Bristol doing better than cardiff then? No one seems to be able to answer it and omicron landed in both cities about the same time

I agree, hospitalisations and deaths are what matters most...

But...

The point of stopping us going to the football, the bar, making us WFH etc etc is to stop the spread.

England has been more liberal and it potentially doesn't seem to have made much difference.

But...

The point of stopping us going to the football, the bar, making us WFH etc etc is to stop the spread.

England has been more liberal and it potentially doesn't seem to have made much difference.
    Because you’re using the wrong metric.... If you can find hospitalisations and deaths for England and they don’t differ from Wales then you might have a point. I’m not gonna go looking for you, it’s your thread.

But...

If you look at Sweden the answer would be to follow them, but nobody ever mentions them. Yes it’s a large unpopulated country but many of the cities populations per sq KM is similar to Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

But...

England does not include reinfections in its daily totals. Wales does.

I also read on the weekend that there’s a backlog of data to be uploaded to the English numbers. No idea if the latter is true.

Because you’re using the wrong metric.... If you can find hospitalisations and deaths for England and they don’t differ from Wales then you might have a point. I’m not gonna go looking for you, it’s your thread.
    Here is England ��������������

���� Breaking - the number of patients with #Covid19 in ventilated beds has fallen by 4% over the past week in England.

➡️ Numbers are 72% lower than last year

https://twitter.com/statsjamie/statu...033838084?s=21

I’d follow thus guy for stats

➡️ Patients with Covid-19 overall in hospital up a third, but up to 45% may be in with Covid, but not for it.

Here is Wales ��������������

���� Wales - 15% increase in past week in #Covid19 patients in ventilated beds & 73% lower than last year

➡️ Patients in general beds up 74% but 55% lower than last year

➡️ No Wales data but 37-45% of English beds have patients with Covid but not reason for being in hospital

Here is England ��������������

���� Breaking - the number of patients with #Covid19 in ventilated beds has fallen by 4% over the past week in England.

➡️ Numbers are 72% lower than last year

https://twitter.com/statsjamie/statu...033838084?s=21

I’d follow thus guy for stats

➡️ Patients with Covid-19 overall in hospital up a third, but up to 45% may be in with Covid, but not for it.

Here is Wales ��������������

���� Wales - 15% increase in past week in #Covid19 patients in ventilated beds & 73% lower than last year

➡️ Patients in general beds up 74% but 55% lower than last year

➡️ No Wales data but 37-45% of English beds have patients with Covid but not reason for being in hospital
    These don’t really help either. With no numbers to know what the increase/decrease is from these stats are mostly useless.

What I’m saying is the useful stats for OP to find and to look at are hospitalisations for Covid per 100k or 1m and deaths from Covid per 100k or 1m and compare those numbers between the 2 countries.

Surely this is straightforward? As mentioned earlier in the thread, official Government figures have cases at one per fifteen people in England, compared to one in twenty in Scotland and Wales.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...onsanddiseases

Clearly then, the official figures show that Covid rates are worse in England than they are in the other two countries. However, one in twenty is bad, as bad as I can remember it being for Scotland and Wales and so it seems to me that the debate to be had is that, while England are in a worse place than us, does the slightly better infection rate justify the restrictions imposed by the Welsh and Scottish Governments? For myself, I was against the closing of sports stadia in particular and I’ve not seen anything in the last fortnight to change my opinion.

If you look at Sweden the answer would be to follow them, but nobody ever mentions them. Yes it’s a large unpopulated country but many of the cities populations per sq KM is similar to Wales ��������������
    Why Sweden? The most similar countries to Sweden are their Scandinavian neighbours.

Per capita, their deaths are 6x higher than Norway’s and 5x higher than Finland’s.

You don’t need the exact numbers as the population difference is about 48m , the percentage is what counts and it’s weekly.

I wonder how many are discharged every day ?

How many in hospital are waiting to be placed in care homes ?

Got to take into account the ability of the NHS to care for those admitted to hospital aswell.
    The numbers of beds (including critical care), staffing levels (including sickness ) all are taken into account, not just the headline figures we see every day.

Why Sweden? The most similar countries to Sweden are their Scandinavian neighbours.

Per capita, their deaths are 6x higher than Norway’s and 5x higher than Finland’s.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...34948211047137

You would think every country in the world would have the same rules , but even in the Uk we don’t , that’s what’s baffling