+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taking the piss.

Re: Taking the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    Starmer couldn't ask that question as it's akin to accusing Johnson of lying which is not permissible in the House.

He correctly plays the long game, waiting until today to call on Johnson to resign. If he'd made frequent earlier calls, which would have fallen on deaf ears, the impact would have been negated.
    I've just thought about this and I think you're right - it's akin to an accusation and is against the 'rather dated and stupid' Erskine May rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    Starmer couldn't ask that question as it's akin to accusing Johnson of lying which is not permissible in the House.

He correctly plays the long game, waiting until today to call on Johnson to resign. If he'd made frequent earlier calls, which would have fallen on deaf ears, the impact would have been negated.
    Just looked and you can't call anyone a blackguard, coward, git, guttersnipe, hooligan, rat, swine or stoolpigeon either, which in fairness, does leave any leader of the opposition a bit stumped when it comes to Johnson!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I could be totally wrong here but does asking him if he lied to The House constitute him calling him a liar (I'm aware that's not the done thing though I think it's one of those stupid rules)? He's not stating that Johnson lied, he's asking him 'if' he lied whereby Johnson implicates himself or makes things worse or both? Isn't this the Erskine May bible thing?
    You maybe right although I suspect that Starmer and his team deemed it safer not to make this point and risk losing a question.

Lyndsey Hoyle is not the strongest speaker sadly - i guess Starmer may have made this correct point if Bercow was still in situ!!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    You clearly haven't read what I've written, which is that the scandal is disgusting and I don't see how he gets out of it and in all honesty I think he should resign.

But you can't change facts. The email wasn't sent by him. But he attended and tried to deny it and he's in it up to his neck.

There is no problem with sticking to the facts though is there? I always find that quite a useful strategy to employ tbh
    I clearly read what you wrote, because I made reference to it and then you responded to my comment.

I'm all for sticking to facts. You said the secretary had a "brass neck" for sending the invitation email. Is this a fact?

There's a rumour that he shagged priti in the bogs and she's now carrying his love child.
    far fetched?....this government...naaaahhh!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    There's a rumour that he shagged priti in the bogs and she's now carrying his love child.
    far fetched?....this government...naaaahhh!!

That’s too believable, it must be false

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Come on now, all will be revealed after the senior civil servant's review.
    We are all jumping the gun

Sir Kier missed a trick not asking him if he'd lied to the house.
    He Johnson couldn't have hid behind the "wait til the findings of the review " comment.

Can't see the backbenchers taking much more brassnecking.
    The end is nigh.
    I'm not so sure. Over 2 years to the next general election and I think the economy is going to decide who governs the UK in 2024. Scandals like this - however distasteful - tend to have a short-term effect on government popularity. Also personality is a big factor - it's nothing new despite what people say. You can be the leader of the opposition or the Prime Minister and have good, popular policies, but if folk don't like you, you're toast. As they say, it's the economy stupid.

I’m confused. 5 weeks ago when Bodger and the Tories were denying there had been any parties at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    I’m confused. 5 weeks ago when Bodger and the Tories were denying there had been any parties at all.
    Keep up.

He thought dozens of pissed up toffs clutching bottles of chablis was a works meeting.

If Gove was there it wouldn’t be just wine …….

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    If Gove was there it wouldn’t be just wine …….
    What about greasy Rishi, he lives next door, did he report the party (cough I mean meeting) to the police?

What about greasy Rishi, he lives next door, did he report the party (cough I mean meeting) to the police?

I very much doubt it… the police let them in

You clearly haven't read what I've written, which is that the scandal is disgusting and I don't see how he gets out of it and in all honesty I think he should resign.

But you can't change facts. The email wasn't sent by him. But he attended and tried to deny it and he's in it up to his neck.

There is no problem with sticking to the facts though is there? I always find that quite a useful strategy to employ tbh
    It's not the sending of an email that's the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's not the sending of an email that's the problem!
    Actually for me, it is. And I think for others hence why 'that email' was leaked. Because other events could be passed off as work meetings taken outside, whereas this quite clearly was an organised social event with BYOB - totally not allowed.

So Boris' only response should have been to condemn it and and not attend. The email changes my perception of it all, hence why I said it.

Actually for me, it is. And I think for others hence why 'that email' was leaked. Because other events could be passed off as work meetings taken outside, whereas this quite clearly was an organised social event with BYOB - totally not allowed.

So Boris' only response should have been to condemn it and and not attend. The email changes my perception of it all, hence why I said it.
    The tortured alternative reality you are trying to project is that Johnson's functionary, on his own initiative, decided to invite 100 people to a drinks party in complete disregard of the rules at the time, the brass neck of the fella. Johnson for his part should have stepped in when he found out about it and stopped it but should be criticised because he didn't.

The e-mail, which wasn't sent to Johnson, said

"Hi all,

"After what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening.

"Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!"

We don't know who the mysterious We and Us referenced in the mail from Johnson's PPS are, just that Johnson and his wife coincidentally racked up whilst it was going on thinking it was a work meeting.

Still the brass neck of the fall guy that sent it seems to be the issue?

Latest polling does not look good for the tories, unless they bounce back quickly Boris will be out sooner rather than later

The email is just the evidence we have that it happened.

If someone breaks into your house and they're identified on security camera, then it's not the picture that's the problem, it's the burglar.

Johnson's secretary invited 100 people, so it's most likely that it was Johnson's idea or that he at least approved it. That's generally how secretaries operate, and is even more likely to have been the case given that it was in peak pandemic time and they all knew that an alcoholic event for 100 odd people was not the done thing - especially given that there are quotes from people at the time saying as much.

If someone breaks into your house and they're identified on security camera, then it's not the picture that's the problem, it's the burglar.

Johnson's secretary invited 100 people, so it's most likely that it was Johnson's idea or that he at least approved it. That's generally how secretaries operate, and is even more likely to have been the case given that it was in peak pandemic time and they all knew that an alcoholic event for 100 odd people was not the done thing - especially given that there are quotes from people at the time saying as much.
    Bearing in mind too that at the cheese & wine 'business event' on the 15th May, Carrie and baby's attendance was justified on the basis that they were sat there too as it's their garden. So you'd think Johnson's private secretary would perhaps at least mention that 100 people might just rock-up at their garden for the evening armed with booze before sending out the invites.

Yes, I get that. I'm not literally angry at the email, it's whats in the email. The email is the evidence that the party was pre planned and not related to work etc. I'm sure we agree with eachother here!

The Tory party is just rotten to the core.

The backing of him with the laughable wait for the enquiry comments.

Wasnt there an enquiry on Priti Patel but that got ignored.

Even the bank benchers calling for him to go seem more concerned about the damage being done in the polls than the piss take this govt have taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The Tory party is just rotten to the core.

The backing of him with the laughable wait for the enquiry comments.

Wasnt there an enquiry on Priti Patel but that got ignored.

Even the bank benchers calling for him to go seem more concerned about the damage being done in the polls than the piss take this govt have taken.
    The Standards Commissioner found that Patel broke the Ministerial Code. Johnson rejected his conclusions. The Standards Commissioner resigned and Johnson appointed Lord Geigt. The guy who did the anodyne report on the money Johnson got to refurbish his pad in his place.

Sue Gray, the Civil Servant doing this report has no real powers to conclude on whether the Ministerial Code was breached by Johnson. The person who determines if that is the case is one, Alexander Boris de pfeffel Johnson. Neat eh!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The Standards Commissioner found that Patel broke the Ministerial Code. Johnson rejected his conclusions. The Standards Commissioner resigned and Johnson appointed Lord Geigt. The guy who did the anodyne report on the money Johnson got to refurbish his pad in his place.

Sue Gray, the Civil Servant doing this report has no real powers to conclude on whether the Ministerial Code was breached by Johnson. The person who determines if that is the case is one, Alexander Boris de pfeffel Johnson. Neat eh!
    A law firm is now raising concerns over Gray’s past conduct. We all know it’s going to be a whitewash.

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/01/13/l...rties-inquiry/

I see he’s gone into hiding now saying one of his family members has tested positive for COVID.

The stupid fool, under HIS current RULES he doesn’t even need to isolate as he’s been fully jabbed.

More bare faced lies.

A law firm is now raising concerns over Gray’s past conduct. We all know it’s going to be a whitewash.

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/01/13/l...rties-inquiry/
    Interestingly she is Permanent Secretary to Michael Gove. Now that's a man who knows how to wield a stiletto!

That said she is in a difficult position as the system is almost set up either to exonerate or not reach definitive conclusions. In that system the idea that a civil servant could conclude on the fate of a Prime Minister is far fetched as this is ultimately a political matter.

There is a need for a truly independent body to investigate and report on these matters to Parliament rather than people like Gray and Geidt, hamstrung before they start.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Interestingly she is Permanent Secretary to Michael Gove. Now that's a man who knows how to wield a stiletto!

That said she is in a difficult position as the system is almost set up either to exonerate or not reach definitive conclusions. In that system the idea that a civil servant could conclude on the fate of a Prime Minister is far fetched as this is ultimately a political matter.

There is a need for a truly independent body to investigate and report on these matters to Parliament rather than people like Gray and Geidt, hamstrung before they start.
    The Met have just issued a statement https://twitter.com/pippacrerar/stat...080894976?s=21

Basically they are waiting for Gray’s report before deciding whether to prosecute. So next time you commit a crime just say to the old bill, hang on I’m just waiting for my mate to write a report and when he does, I’ll let you know if I’ve committed a crime