+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: CAS hearing dates re Nantes case

CAS hearing dates re Nantes case

Now set for 3 and 4 March 2022. Not open to the public, either in person or online

Re: CAS hearing dates re Nantes case

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    Now set for 3 and 4 March 2022. Not open to the public, either in person or online
    Will have a £20m + impact on the finances of our club - hopefully a positive one

Will have a £20m + impact on the finances of our club - hopefully a positive one
    Keith, how much of that potential liability was provided for in the balance sheet ?

what is cas ?

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    what is cas ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_...tion_for_Sport

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Keith, how much of that potential liability was provided for in the balance sheet ?

The figure in the May 2020 accounts (the most recent ones filed at Companies House) was £20.7m. It has probably gone up in subsequent accounts as provision was made for ongoing legal costs.

If the club win their case at CAS then there will therefore be a big improvement in its reported profits. In cash flow terms though it would just remove the need to set aside cash to settle the case if lost rather than generate new cash (other than a possible recovery of legal fees from Nantes)

Keith

The figure in the May 2020 accounts (the most recent ones filed at Companies House) was £20.7m. It has probably gone up in subsequent accounts as provision was made for ongoing legal costs.

If the club win their case at CAS then there will therefore be a big improvement in its reported profits. In cash flow terms though it would just remove the need to set aside cash to settle the case if lost rather than generate new cash (other than a possible recovery of legal fees from Nantes)

Keith
    Hi Keith.
    Was it you that posted under Bluesince62 or similar? Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Hi Keith.
    Was it you that posted under Bluesince62 or similar? Thanks..
    Used to post as Since62

Used to post as Since62
    I didn't realise you had changed your name

Keith
    Thank you Keith

Am I correct in thinking that. If we win there is £20m to write back to our trading account which will improve the position ? What could happen to any surplus that arose as a consequence ? Could it be used to write down indebtedness or could some of it be used to strengthen the team ?

Also you mention recovery of legal costs from Nantes which appear to be £5m+. Obviously this would only happen if we won at CAS. I assume we would have to sue them in the French Courts. What would be the grounds for this ? CAS is only dealing with contractual issues. Is the suggestion that if we win at CAS the contractual issues that might result in a win for us are purely down to Nantes which could be justification in itself for legal action or will it be negligence in flight arrangements by those acting on behalf either directly or indirectly of Nantes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Thank you Keith

Am I correct in thinking that. If we win there is £20m to write back to our trading account which will improve the position ? What could happen to any surplus that arose as a consequence ? Could it be used to write down indebtedness or could some of it be used to strengthen the team ?

Also you mention recovery of legal costs from Nantes which appear to be £5m+. Obviously this would only happen if we won at CAS. I assume we would have to sue them in the French Courts. What would be the grounds for this ? CAS is only dealing with contractual issues. Is the suggestion that if we win at CAS the contractual issues that might result in a win for us are purely down to Nantes which could be justification in itself for legal action or will it be negligence in flight arrangements by those acting on behalf either directly or indirectly of Nantes ?
    Don't hold your breath.

19 members on the board of which 9 are from mainland Europe. No One from UK

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Don't hold your breath.

Are you suggesting that they would be biased towards Nantes?

Don't hold your breath.

I looked on the CAS website - there seems to be a lot of "arbitrators". However, they all appear to be lawyers.

Here is the listing of the case on 3 and 4 March. Will the hearing be in person or online ? Probably the latter I would guess. I don't know if that makes it more difficult to put our case.

https://www.tas-cas.org/en/general-i...earings-4.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Are you suggesting that they would be biased towards Nantes?
    I feel fairly confident that the court will find for Nantes. I am then expecting city to lodge an appeal and we may all be discussing it this time next year

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I feel fairly confident that the court will find for Nantes. I am then expecting city to lodge an appeal and we may all be discussing it this time next year

Haven't both parties agreed to abide by the CAS decision ? In which case no appeal would be allowed. Also, why do you think that Nantes will win. Are you in possession of any new facts ?

The CAS arbitration hearing is the appeal - isn't it?

I can't see anything on their website that suggests there is a further appeal possible if one party doesn't like the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Haven't both parties agreed to abide by the CAS decision ? In which case no appeal would be allowed. Also, why do you think that Nantes will win. Are you in possession of any new facts ?
    No. Like you I know absolutely nothing about the details. I am going on the basis that this is a European led court who have no sympathy for anything British.
    I hope I am wrong but let’s wait and see

No. Like you I know absolutely nothing about the details. I am going on the basis that this is a European led court who have no sympathy for anything British.
    I hope I am wrong but let’s wait and see
    Impress on them the fact that the City of Cardiff voted remain

Don't hold your breath.

Let me guess. You voted for Brexit, right? I might be wrong here, but I'm getting the slightest hunch you might have from your post...