+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harry Wilson

Re: Harry Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    apart from the foresight and ambition when we signed him last season?
    That didn't last long though did it? By the way you also need the right management, coaching and personnel in place to truly make it happen. Again lacking in this club.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    In his sole PL season, he was joint top scorer with Callum Wilson in a poor Bournemouth side that got relegated (7 goals in 31 games).

I'm not saying he's "made it" at that level, but he didn't look a fish out of water either.
    Agree. I think he'll kick on further in this Fulham team if they go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    If he was as good as you say, why did he end up on the banks of the Thames ? No one else, here or abroad , was interested in him.
    In the heart of West London? playing for a decent footballing team with realistic EPL aspirations? Oh, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Hopefully that’s true, but Wilson remains to be proven at the top level.

He’s obviously more than decent at Championship level and often shines against the poorest sides, but the Premier League is a different proposition altogether.
    Agreed. Wilson had his fair share of anonymous performances for us last season as well.

Hopefully that’s true, but Wilson remains to be proven at the top level.

He’s obviously more than decent at Championship level and often shines against the poorest sides, but the Premier League is a different proposition altogether.
    I've got a feeling we've had this exact conversation before but I'm going to do it anyway. He had 7 goals in 31 starts in the PL for a struggling Bournemouth team. Not world beating but not bad either for a young midfielder in his first full season. Buendia by comparison this year has 1 goal in 17 starts so far

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I've got a feeling we've had this exact conversation before but I'm going to do it anyway. He had 7 goals in 31 starts in the PL for a struggling Bournemouth team. Not world beating but not bad either for a young midfielder in his first full season. Buendia by comparison this year has 1 goal in 17 starts so far
    A surprise, therefore, that he has spent the subsequent two seasons in the Championship and never made a single Premier League appearance (not even as a sub) for Liverpool. Why do you think that is?

A surprise, therefore, that he has spent the subsequent two seasons in the Championship and never made a single Premier League appearance (not even as a sub) for Liverpool. Why do you think that is?
    Yet he’s only 24. When he was 20 he was having an outstanding season for Derby. He’s head and shoulders above the young city players being talked about in other threads. If even one of those comes close to being as good as him I’ll be both flabbergasted and delighted

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't think you know who was interested in him misery guts but there'll definitely be more after this season, 9 goals and 10 assists in 21 games so far. Just enjoy a Welsh player doing well
    If any Premier League club wanted him they would have signed him. He’s a championship player and that’s all. If he ever makes a consistent Premier League player , I’ll show my backside in Sports Direct. I agree with one thing you stated- he’s a Welsh player who’s currently doing well. But never in the Premier League. Come back on here in the distant future and prove me wrong.And keep reading my posts, you’ll learn something. It’s called being realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Yet he’s only 24. When he was 20 he was having an outstanding season for Derby. He’s head and shoulders above the young city players being talked about in other threads. If even one of those comes close to being as good as him I’ll be both flabbergasted and delighted
    25 in a couple of months. He’s a player of considerable ability, there’s absolutely no doubt about that, but Klopp obviously didn’t fancy him (most of Liverpool’s youngsters get game time in league matches if they’re deemed good enough - even Marko Grujic made 8 sub appearances in the Premier League).

Wilson’s not a guaranteed starter for Wales, either. The fact that he’s spent most of his career to date in the Championship must mean something.

He put in some fine performances for City last season, most notably against the division’s weaker sides, but he was anonymous in some and a bit petulant in others.

I don’t quite know what it is about Wilson that has resulted in a situation whereby a player with his natural ability is still in the Championship. Inconsistency maybe? Time is still very much on his side but he’s got a lot left to prove in my opinion.

Because he's not good enough for Liverpool but I absolutely think that worse players than Harry Wilson have played consistently in the Premier League

If any Premier League club wanted him they would have signed him. He’s a championship player and that’s all. If he ever makes a consistent Premier League player , I’ll show my backside in Sports Direct. I agree with one thing you stated- he’s a Welsh player who’s currently doing well. But never in the Premier League. Come back on here in the distant future and prove me wrong.And keep reading my posts, you’ll learn something. It’s called being realistic.
    No thanks, if I learn something new this year it'll hopefully be a language not how to be a miserable old man

I think hes a bit of a luxury player.

Hes not good enough for the top PL clubs thats for sure.

He got a lot of attacking ability but not sure his all round game is that strong.

Also whats his best position. Wide , no 10? If his all round game was better maybe for Wales he could play midfield. As it is we play a L1 player.

Do teams battling to stay in the League see Wilson as a player they want to add to the ranks. The answer it seems is no especially with a large fee involved.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Agreed. Wilson had his fair share of anonymous performances for us last season as well.
    In addition to being surrounded by less than average players I think he suffered with frustration. Many times he was running around almost looking for a red card. Was not suited to City style of being unable to pass and move.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

If he was as good as you say, why did he end up on the banks of the Thames ? No one else, here or abroad , was interested in him.
    Because he was not playing well on a consistent basis?

Fulham play the game in a manner that allows him to play to his potential more often.

I suspect that if he was to maintain the standards shown since his move to Fulham then a top 10 premier club might be interested.

He destroyed us last night. His work rate was phenomenal. However he wasn’t rated by the Bournemouth fans and has yet to prove he is anything better than a high end Championship player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    He destroyed us last night. His work rate was phenomenal. However he wasn’t rated by the Bournemouth fans and has yet to prove he is anything better than a high end Championship player.
    I remember you saying a couple of weeks ago Pearcey that you had just witnessed the worst performance ever by your team... but you hadn't shipped six!

Regarding Wilson, yes I think you and the Bournemouth fans are spot on with that appraisal.

It's true we probably don't play to the guy's strengths but he does seem to drift in and out of games, not consistent enough.
    No doubting his ability when he's on his game and again, another leftie!

A good player who is a southpaw always seems to be better on the eye than your more common rightie.

Maybe he's in the realm of Whitts, Chopra, Bothroyd etc. Far superior to most Championship players, but not quite good enough to become an effective regular starter in the EPL.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Maybe he's in the realm of Whitts, Chopra, Bothroyd etc. Far superior to most Championship players, but not quite good enough to become an effective regular starter in the EPL.
    That’s an excellent parallel

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I remember you saying a couple of weeks ago Pearcey that you had just witnessed the worst performance ever by your team... but you hadn't shipped six!

Regarding Wilson, yes I think you and the Bournemouth fans are spot on with that appraisal.

It's true we probably don't play to the guy's strengths but he does seem to drift in and out of games, not consistent enough.
    No doubting his ability when he's on his game and again, another leftie!

A good player who is a southpaw always seems to be better on the eye than your more common rightie.
    Yep.As for my club I think we are in deep trouble not just this season but long term. All sorts of stuff going on with a racism issue within the club, players split over covid vaccinations and the never ending injury crisis.
    I think we will go down. Reading fans are passive. There was a lot of anger last night from
    every supporter I talked to.

if he was in our team this year we'd be too half nqat, but probably still with McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if he was in our team this year we'd be too half nqat, but probably still with McCarthy
    Disagree. One player isn't capable of carrying this side. We could have Salah and be roughly where we are now.