Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
I'd love to know what sample of the population are involved in these polls. A genuine independence vote would be really interesting. Only then would we get a true picture and I suspect the turnout would be less than great.
There's a Cardiff uni blog that regularly posted the full results with demographic breakdown etc, I don't know if they still do it

I imagine people said similar in Scotland for a while and probably the same about a referendum on leaving the EU. Would turnout be low? To get to a referendum there'd have to be a strong enough level of support for it so there'd be motivation on both sides. You can point to the devolution referendums but they were small fry, especially compared to breaking away from the UK state entirely. I imagine turnout would be quite high as we saw in Scotland & with Brexit.

Does polling mean independence is around the corner? No, that was a sharp rise which I imagine is fairly soft. However there has been consistent support for greater powers for some time, it's quite surprising how quickly anti-devolution sentiment melted away.

Edit: Here's that blog: https://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/