+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: IF Drakeford says...

Re: IF Drakeford says...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Possibly, but there still hasn't been any vote in Welsh history I'm aware of that has shown a majority in favour of independence (or where Plaid have got the most votes). Given what was being said in the year prior to the vote, Plaid Cymru's performance in the election last May has to be viewed as disappointing.

For myself, I've never been closer to backing an independent Wales in my life, but still have this feeling that a vote for Plaid is a wasted one and a possible way of letting the Tories take control of the Senedd - maybe there are thousands in Wales who feel like this?
    As someone with 95% 'Welsh blood', I regret I find the welsh more parochial and self -obsessed than any of the other home nations. The local news is cringe-worthy, with all those 'experts' in their political field spouting the Senydd mantra for then. The National Newspaper of Wales is a joke, and the local rag is even worse - no serious critique, no counter-debate, dreadful schoolboy editorials. And now Labour & Plaid are in coalition [don't let them kid you otherwise], you have effectively the end of any democracy in Wales. Read the news - from across the border - you won't get it here - train/bus companies wanting to invest in factories in Wales being virtually told to get lost. Motorway schemes turned down to be replaced by 2 extra train stations in Newport. New homes in Wales increasing by up to 10% compared with England. Extra taxes, and when UK GOV. cuts income tax by 2% in April, you bet Wales will do it by 1%. The Wife nearly froze to death on a train from Carmathen back to Cardiff yesterday as the train didn't have any heating, or hot drinks. I call it a train, actually they're 40yr old converted diesil trams.
    Working in the public sector I'm sure has been worthwhile and rewarding, but I'll be frank - work in the private sector and you'll possibly have a different outlook.
    This isn't Party politics - I don't vote for this party or that one, I just have my views on a few things that may affect me, but we've been given 'independence' in all but name, and talentless, liberal, uninspiring Welshies are going to be in charge for a long long time

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He's damned if he does damned if he doesn't with some of you. Cases have halved in the last week (2300-1200 https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-59984873) and if he didn't lift restrictions it'd be all "DRIPFORD THE DICTATOR DRUNK ON POWER, THOSE POOR PUBS "

Being that he's saying a significant drop in cases means a drop in restrictions, which has literally been the policy for almost two years, it's 'OH YEAH, HE'S DROPPING RESTRICTIONS JUST FOR THE RUGBY WHAT A SURPRISE" even though that means that the hospitality sector you pretend to care so much about won't miss out on millions of pounds

The man's not perfect but it's ridiculous

It has been said all along that the evidence from other countries further ahead in the Omnicrom version that cases will fall as rapidly as they rise.

But you kid yourself that here in Wales that it’s fallen so quickly because of the illogical and meaningless restrictions Drakeford put in place.

Meanwhile the hospitality trade has lost millions as they’ve effectively been punished since December 17th. The two week period from Black Friday to New Years Day is when the sector can really cash in to see them through the quieter periods. It’s not just about the six nations.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't know to be honest. I also don't think that if there were a vote on independence any time soon that the Yes vote would get anywhere near it, but to say that he's set the movement back a decade is just plain wrong
    Why is it plain wrong? It’s just an opinion same as yours.

As far as I can see the Welsh independence movement is a minority of people shouting loudest on social media.

When it went to the polls Plaid Cymru, for all their optimism that the appetite for Welsh Indepndence was massively on the increase, had a very, very disappointing result.

I actually voted Plaid Cymru myself but I think there’s a lot of blind optimism with regards independence.

I wonder is those backing Drakeford for these latest round of restrictions would so supportive if they were out of work for a month with no furlough scheme to support them? or if their business would be going down the tubes as a result of the restrictions?

I would highly doubt it.

This thread is so typical. Old people hate politicians that genuinely try to make things better. They prefer to give their vote to those who take backhanders from the billionaire class and continue along the path of extreme wealth inequality.

I don't think many older people realise this but basically nobody under 40 expects anything good to happen ever again thanks to the boomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    This thread is so typical. Old people hate politicians that genuinely try to make things better. They prefer to give their vote to those who take backhanders from the billionaire class and continue along the path of extreme wealth inequality.

I don't think many older people realise this but basically nobody under 40 expects anything good to happen ever again thanks to the boomers.
    I know plenty of people under 40 and 30 for that matter living a great life. Under 20 well thats a different story, I fear for my teenage childrens future regardless of who is in power, but they are more likely to have a better life with a thriving economy than they are under someone like Drakeford who has shown he cares very little for the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I know plenty of people under 40 and 30 for that matter living a great life. Under 20 well thats a different story, I fear for my teenage childrens future regardless of who is in power, but they are more likely to have a better life with a thriving economy than they are under someone like Drakeford who has shown he cares very little for the economy.
    So are you just choosing to completely ignore how wages have been stagnant since basically as long as I've been alive and how house prices have increased drastically? I mean justify this - https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-average-wages

Older people could work much less and get more for their money, now you're hellbent on pulling up the ladder behind you.

Explain to me how Drakeford doesn't care about the economy or is this something you're just parroting online that you can't actually back up? Tell me how the tories are good economically despite having the highest debt per GDP ratio since world war 2 (and this was before covid). Tell me anything that's getting better in the UK.

So anyone who disagrees with the policy choices taken in Wales concerning Covid is automatically a Tory? You can support a Labour government and still criticise its policy choices. In fact I'd say its essential to ensure politicians are held to account. Every election in Wales for the past 20 years has shown there's no appetite for a Tory government in in the Senedd. It's also disrespectful to supporters of the other alternative political parties like Plaid and Lib Dems, both progressive parties who can provide an alternative to the status quo in Wales.

Also, I think you need to step away from social media and broaden your social and professional circles if you genuinely think "nobody under 40 expects anything good to happen ever again". It's too easy for millennials to blame others for their own failings and poor life choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Halen View Post
    So anyone who disagrees with the policy choices taken in Wales concerning Covid is automatically a Tory? You can support a Labour government and still criticise its policy choices. In fact I'd say its essential to ensure politicians are held to account. Every election in Wales for the past 20 years has shown there's no appetite for a Tory government in in the Senedd. It's also disrespectful to supporters of the other alternative political parties like Plaid and Lib Dems, both progressive parties who can provide an alternative to the status quo in Wales.

Also, I think you need to step away from social media and broaden your social and professional circles if you genuinely think "nobody under 40 expects anything good to happen ever again". It's too easy for millennials to blame others for their own failings and poor life choices.
    It's so so typical someone like you would say 'PoOr LiFe ChOicEs' while completely ignoring huge systemiatic issue that the elderly repeatedly vote for, Brexit is just one example. Justify why it should be so much harder for young people to get on the property ladder than it was 40 years ago - https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-average-wages

Tell me how things are getting better in the UK, give me anything. The economy is ****ed, the climate is ****ed and we are just waiting for the boomers to die off to try and fix the mess you've created.

We're the most educated generation in history yet we have to work far far harder to get the same as the boomers. If you don't have wealthy parents nowadays you're pretty much ****ed.

Before you say 'YoUrE jUsT JeAloUs' I made about £40k on the stock market last year and I'll have paid off my house in about 10 years, I'm not speaking for me I'm speaking for those my age who have done everything right, who have worked hard, who have got a skill but are still getting screwed by the system.

It's so so typical someone like you would say 'PoOr LiFe ChOicEs' while completely ignoring huge systemiatic issue that the elderly repeatedly vote for, Brexit is just one example. Justify how much harder it is for young people to get on the property ladder- https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-average-wages

Tell me how things are getting better in the UK, give me anything. The economy is ****ed, the climate is ****ed and we are just waiting for the boomers to die off to try and fix the mess you've created.

We're the most educated generation in history yet we have to work far far harder to get the same as the boomers. If you don't have wealthy parents nowadays you're pretty much ****ed.

Before you say 'YoUrE jUsT JeAloUs' I made about £40k on the stock market last year and I'll have paid off my house in about 10 years, I'm not speaking for me I'm speaking for those my age who have done everything right, who have worked hard, who have got a skill but are still getting screwed by the system.
    That's a really horrible, mean spirited post. The idea that our generation need older people to die so we can fix their mess. Really poor

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    That's a really horrible, mean spirited post. The idea that our generation need older people to die so we can fix their mess. Really poor
    I really don't care, it's a harsh truth that needs to be said. The amont of older people who deny climate change is staggering, they then vote on mass for governments in the pockets of fossil fuel companies. Not just here but in the US and Australia.

He's hardly advocating a 'Logans Run' scenario or running state funded Saga holidays to Dignitas in Switzerland.

He's just pointing out that the older some get the more Tory, xenophobic and selfish fuuckers they become.

He's got a point too and I'm near death.

So anyone who disagrees with the policy choices taken in Wales concerning Covid is automatically a Tory?
    I also despise this notion. I’ve never voted Tory in my life and never will. I voted Labour in the last election. But I cannot stand Drakeford and I believe many of the additional restrictions we’ve faced here in Wales, both recently and throughout the pandemic, have been unnecessary and occasionally utterly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    He's hardly advocating a 'Logans Run' scenario or running state funded Saga holidays to Dignitas in Switzerland.
    Brilliant! What a great line. Witty and clever. Win, win.

I really don't care, it's a harsh truth that needs to be said. The amont of older people who deny climate change is staggering, they then vote on mass for governments in the pockets of fossil fuel companies. Not just here but in the US and Australia.
    And there aren't climate change deniers , anti vaxers etc in our generation?

Indeed. Politics has become very tribal. Like you can’t criticise the side you support and never give credit to the opposition.

The notion that if you criticise Drakeford you must be a Tory is utterly absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I also despise this notion. I’ve never voted Tory in my life and never will. I voted Labour in the last election. But I cannot stand Drakeford and I believe many of the additional restrictions we’ve faced here in Wales, both recently and throughout the pandemic, have been unnecessary and occasionally utterly ridiculous.
    Yes, I'm of a similar view. I do understand the anger though even if it's not helpful to blanket entire generations and create generational divisions. I'm really depressed about environmental apathy and climate change denial but some of the most prominent and influential scientists who've been working on these issues for the last 3 decades are 60+.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Yes, I'm of a similar view. I do understand the anger though even if it's not helpful to blanket entire generations and create generational divisions. I'm really depressed about environmental apathy and climate change denial but some of the most prominent and influential scientists who've been working on these issues for the last 3 decades are 60+.
    Yep, drawing battle lines on entire generations based on age is not helpful to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yep, drawing battle lines on entire generations based on age is not helpful to the cause.
    I’m a 54 year-old Labour voter (last time around at least) who firmly believes that Welsh Labour would benefit greatly from having a much younger, significantly more charismatic leader than 67 year-old Mark Drakeford.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Very true! After looking at the state of the reading festival site this year. II find it hard to believe that a vast majority of the younger generation are all eco warriors. Good and bad in all generations .

I’m as much of a biased lefty as can be but the restrictions that were bought in weren’t ridiculous. They were half arsed enough to not make a difference while being full on enough to be a detriment to so many industries with no support.

I think one of the major problems of the pandemic has been not enough joined up thinking between Scotland, wales and England. Sometimes it seemed for the sake of it just to show they had the power to do it.

I’m all for being cautious but 2 years in and with positive data coming out of South Africa and Denmark surely eventually you just have to keep society going to a degree where you aren’t ****ing up everyone’s livelihoods?

Very true! After looking at the state of the reading festival site this year. II find it hard to believe that a vast majority of the younger generation are all eco warriors. Good and bad in all generations .
    You can’t equate a bunch of drunk hungover kids leaving a mess to being against climate change etc ffs

I’m the same. Nearly every election since I was 18 I’ve voted Labour. I actually despise Drakeford and because of him I voted Plaid at the last assembly elections, even though I’m not a Nationalist.

I’m a 54 year-old Labour voter (last time around at least) who firmly believes that Welsh Labour would benefit greatly from having a much younger, significantly more charismatic leader than 67 year-old Mark Drakeford.
    Yep, agree 100%. The whole Labour Party needs a overhaul not just Welsh Labour. The fact Labour have made very little ground against this shit show of a corrupt Tory government, the far worst government in our lifetime, is so depressing.

I’ve always voted Labour except for last election voted Plaid Cymru. I also voted Plaid in the Senedd elections as I cannot stand the Labour AM in Merthyr - Dawn Bowden - a self serving, career politician from Bristol.

Bizarrely, because I’ve been critical of Drakeford in this thread I’m being made out to be a well off Tory nationalist boomer who has pulled the ladder up for future generations.

Plus I’m only 45 I don’t even think that qualifies for the Boomer generation does it?

This is spot on .