+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: IF Drakeford says...

Re: IF Drakeford says...

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Presumably, it isn't wrong. That was how things worked out when those 1,006 people were polled. But does that mean the wider Welsh public is thinking along similar lines? Who knows? So much would depend on who was polled, when they were polled, what was in the news at that precise point in time, what the personal circumstances of those polled were, etc etc.

In my experience, the 'neither' option would win such a poll by a landslide, and that's by no means restricted to the views of my friends either.
    Having seen Drakeford on TV this morning having is usual bash at the Westminster Government for ' abandoning the science' while he is keeping people safe in Wales, I wonder, if Labour were in power in Westminster, how much more aligned we in Wales would be to England's Covid rules and regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Having seen Drakeford on TV this morning having is usual bash at the Westminster Government for ' abandoning the science' while he is keeping people safe in Wales, I wonder, if Labour were in power in Westminster, how much more aligned we in Wales would be to England's Covid rules and regulations?
    I see that the BMA were quite critical on England basically abandoning all restrictions, because the PM lied about having a party.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If it was a Brexit like 52/48, I’d agree, but even 60/40 is pretty conclusive and well beyond the margin of error in such polls. As I said when I posted the link, I’m surprised by the result, but I really can’t see how it can be wrong when the figures are so much in favour of the Welsh Government’s approach.
    Didn't the poll also show that of people in England, as many people there thought the Welsh approach was better as the English one.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    1,000 people out of a population of 3.138m is an extremely small sample , and everyone I know think Drakeford is out of control. The older generation perhaps have different views
    I think for a 95% confidence level you would expect an error of around +/- 3% for a poll of around 1000 people, representing a population of 3 million, assuming there aren't major problems in the study

I think what this has established is that, those who disagree with the results of the survey are more likely to express their opinion on the validity of the survey itself.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I think we would very much be aligned to them.

However I dont think Englands rules would be what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think what this has established is that, those who disagree with the results of the survey are more likely to express their opinion on the validity of the survey itself.
    I think we’d need a poll of around 1,008 people to establish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think we would very much be aligned to them.

However I dont think Englands rules would be what they are.
    It's quite an interesting thing to ponder. Of course, all hypothetical, but if we did have a Labour govt during the pandemic it would have been one run by Jeremy Corbyn.

It's interesting to think about how he would have handled it. I dont think it would have been radically different, but I think he would have been a bit overawed, and I think we would have stuck to the EMA vaccine roll out, and I wonder if he would have been so open to working with the private sector on procurement and involvement with the NHS etc?

In terms of restrictions, whatever else Corbyn may be, he isnt really an authoritarian. I think he has a strong liberal streak, and is more like Johnson than Drakeford in that respect. I also think he would have recognised the mental wellbeing issues caused by it all and not sought to keep us locked down for longer than necessary.

My suspicion with Drakeford is that he is using this as a bit of a political power play. That is undoubtedly the case with Sturgeon, and I think it is to a lesser extent for Drakeford. In some cases he's just keen to do some things differently so he can claim to have done so and that devolution is working etc etc.

I also sense deep inside he quite enjoys the power, whereas Johnson, reckless as he is, at least feels embarrased to take our freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think we’d need a poll of around 1,008 people to establish that.
    Years ago the opinion of just 10 cat owners was enough to influence people 🙂

International

The point I tried to make in a humorous way in my reply to TOBW is the fact that the result of most surveys is almost predetermined by the way the question is asked, or indeed by the question itself. The questions asked tend to lead the person being 'surveyed' to the answer that the pollster wants to hear.
    That in itself renders all polls subject to being taken with a 'pinch of salt'.

Years ago the opinion of just 10 cat owners was enough to influence people 🙂
    Only if they expressed a preference. 🤣

International

Years ago the opinion of just 10 cat owners was enough to influence people ��
    Wasn't it 9 out of 10?
    I can't remember if it was them preferring it or their cats.

International

Mr Drakeford on TV again today.. that wasn't a covid briefing it was a party political broadcast.

The same thing that Ms Sturgeon was castigated for, using the crisis to make politically motivated statement. It isn't supposed to be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Mr Drakeford on TV again today.. that wasn't a covid briefing it was a party political broadcast.

The same thing that Ms Sturgeon was castigated for, using the crisis to make politically motivated statement. It isn't supposed to be allowed.
    Government trying to distract people from their handling of the Pandemic" says man trying to distract people from his handling of the Pandemic.

It's bugger all to do with surveys and more to do with fact and science and it does seem Omicron is a very mild version of Covid backed up by the facts there are lots of positive cases and less deaths and folk on ventilation units . Drakeford is playing politics as much as Boris , the only difference is once again whe are late to the opening up party (expected pun) and as business ,jobs and economy falters in Wales along with mental anxiety caused by lockdowns .

And a year from now old Drakeford will fall back on the ( its all Westminsters fault) mantra as Wales struggles from his slowness to open up our economy and protect jobs and livelihoods.

Boris maybe a clown at times but at least he has some boldness and drive to rescue the economy , and Furlough and the vaccine decesions were very forward thinking .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's bugger all to do with surveys and more to do with fact and science and it does seem Omicron is a very mild version of Covid backed up by the facts there are lots of positive cases and less deaths and folk on ventilation units . Drakeford is playing politics as much as Boris , the only difference is once again whe are late to the opening up party (expected pun) and as business ,jobs and economy falters in Wales along with mental anxiety caused by lockdowns .

And a year from now old Drakeford will fall back on the ( its all Westminsters fault) mantra as Wales struggles from his slowness to open up our economy and protect jobs and livelihoods.

Boris maybe a clown at times but at least he has some boldness and drive to rescue the economy , and Furlough and the vaccine decesions were very forward thinking .
    So boldness to drive and rescue the economy is more important than the effects of a virus which, while it is less deadly than previous variants, still results in lots taking time off work and jobs not being done, whereas a more measured approach should result in less people off work and less people being ill.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So boldness to drive and rescue the economy is more important than the effects of a virus which, while it is less deadly than previous variants, still results in lots taking time off work and jobs not being done, whereas a more measured approach should result in less people off work and less people being ill.
    But its not just about rescuing the economy its about giving people back their freedoms, about people not being locked down unnecessarily, about mental health of millions of people on the understanding, largely vindicated, that this variant was far less deadly than previous ones.
    Many people in positions to do so (not least the unions and leaders of the NHS) have constantly tried to up the risk factor, to make the government react, to lockdown, to prevent, to restrict. The government finally got it balls back and did what is best for the majority, and the figures would appear to support the actions.
    If you think that tens of millions of people should be restricted (Oops sorry me Drakeford) Protected for the fewer numbers at risk, even when the numbers show that the vast majority of those having a serious life threatening reaction to the disease have not bothered to get vaccinated, then there is no point in continuing the conversation. You are determined to argue that lockdown is good and freedom is bad. So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's quite an interesting thing to ponder. Of course, all hypothetical, but if we did have a Labour govt during the pandemic it would have been one run by Jeremy Corbyn.

It's interesting to think about how he would have handled it. I dont think it would have been radically different, but I think he would have been a bit overawed, and I think we would have stuck to the EMA vaccine roll out, and I wonder if he would have been so open to working with the private sector on procurement and involvement with the NHS etc?

In terms of restrictions, whatever else Corbyn may be, he isnt really an authoritarian. I think he has a strong liberal streak, and is more like Johnson than Drakeford in that respect. I also think he would have recognised the mental wellbeing issues caused by it all and not sought to keep us locked down for longer than necessary.

My suspicion with Drakeford is that he is using this as a bit of a political power play. That is undoubtedly the case with Sturgeon, and I think it is to a lesser extent for Drakeford. In some cases he's just keen to do some things differently so he can claim to have done so and that devolution is working etc etc.

I also sense deep inside he quite enjoys the power, whereas Johnson, reckless as he is, at least feels embarrased to take our freedoms.
    Your last point has made me laugh. Boris getting all angst about the thought of taking away personal freedoms by asking people to wear a face mask on public transport, whilst his government bring in The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill and rip up the Human Rights Act.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But its not just about rescuing the economy its about giving people back their freedoms, about people not being locked down unnecessarily, about mental health of millions of people on the understanding, largely vindicated, that this variant was far less deadly than previous ones.
    Many people in positions to do so (not least the unions and leaders of the NHS) have constantly tried to up the risk factor, to make the government react, to lockdown, to prevent, to restrict. The government finally got it balls back and did what is best for the majority, and the figures would appear to support the actions.
    If you think that tens of millions of people should be restricted (Oops sorry me Drakeford) Protected for the fewer numbers at risk, even when the numbers show that the vast majority of those having a serious life threatening reaction to the disease have not bothered to get vaccinated, then there is no point in continuing the conversation. You are determined to argue that lockdown is good and freedom is bad. So be it.
    I am not here to argue that lockdown is good and freedom is bad. You clearly haven't read enough of my posts on this issue or you'd know that is not the case.

I know lots of people who are still wary to go out and enjoy life. The more restrictions are lifted, the more wary they will become.

I've read on here that working from home is bad for everyone. I can prove otherwise. I've read on here that everyone wants restrictions lifted. I can prove otherwise.

The biggest danger from Covid at present is mass absence from work and public and essential services not being fulfilled. Responsible governments, couldn't care less what party is in charge, needs to manage this. We're not at a stage where Covid is just a cold and those who have it would be expected to come into work.

International

I am not here to argue that lockdown is good and freedom is bad. You clearly haven't read enough of my posts on this issue or you'd know that is not the case.

I know lots of people who are still wary to go out and enjoy life. The more restrictions are lifted, the more wary they will become.

I've read on here that working from home is bad for everyone. I can prove otherwise. I've read on here that everyone wants restrictions lifted. I can prove otherwise.

The biggest danger from Covid at present is mass absence from work and public and essential services not being fulfilled. Responsible governments, couldn't care less what party is in charge, needs to manage this. We're not at a stage where Covid is just a cold and those who have it would be expected to come into work.
    No Eric you cannot 'prove' otherwise unless you can canvas the whole country and 'prove' that working from home is good for everyone. For each of your comments there are those for and against. I acknowledged that when I pointed out that the HNS and unions have been trying to lock things throughout this emergency. They are clearly against, eahc for their own reasons.
    You may know people who are afraid to go out and people who prefer to work from home. I do not know any person bar 1 who is afraid to go out, but I know several who like the idea of not having to go out and getting everything done for them.
    I know some people are in need of isolation but isn't it true that people we hear about on the news and in the reports who are terrified because they have no immune systems also didn't have the immune systems before the pandemic and they managed their lives satisfactorily. These stories are researched by people who want to broadcast the worst possible scenarios becuase it sells paper or gets clicks.
    Human beings are social animals, we prosper from contact with others we grow from it. We need interaction it is in our make-up. Working from home and/or self isolating removes that from a person's life.
    Fine if they want to do that but the whole nation doesn't need to be forced to do it with them. It is utter bollox!

We havent been in lockdown. Weve been more than able to interact.

Strange comments.

I too know lots of people who are wary to go out and enjoy life. I'm not surprised because from dawn until dusk the media continue to highlight Covid as the big news and that frightens many.

Working from home is obviously not bad for everyone, but for my nephew it means sitting in his bedsit with his laptop on the bed, and that's not good. There must be many like him.

We are two years into Covid yet UK governments are still putting restrictions on peoples' lives as if no lessons have been learned. In Wales nearly 2 million people have had three jabs and we know how effective that is. Additionally, there are two oral antivirals available which can reduce the severity of a Covid infection by around 90%.
    With such effective pharmaceuticals available it is time we treated it like a cold and I applaud Bojo for taking the lead.

Drakeford boasts that Wales has the best vaccination rate, that antivirals are available for anyone at particular risk, but then introduces rules and regulations that impact our lives and the Welsh economy. It doesn't make sense.

Time to get back to as we were pre-Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Your last point has made me laugh. Boris getting all angst about the thought of taking away personal freedoms by asking people to wear a face mask on public transport, whilst his government bring in The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill and rip up the Human Rights Act.

I give up Jordi. I started a thread about this which hardly registered but a Covid conspiracy theory or Drakeford character assassination thread will go for 20 odd pages. I used to find this stuff funny but now it just depresses me. I'll stick to watching us play to improve the mood. Oh, wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I give up Jordi. I started a thread about this which hardly registered but a Covid conspiracy theory or Drakeford character assassination thread will go for 20 odd pages. I used to find this stuff funny but now it just depresses me. I'll stick to watching us play to improve the mood. Oh, wait!
    Use these type of threads for what they are butt. Entertainment and identifying absolute whoppers.

There's some fantastic hypocrisy on display or are some people really as dull as dog shiit?

I'm not nuanced enough obviously?

Its no suprise reading some of the comments. Its the typical Tory attitude im all right screw you.

This is a Global Pandemic. Its great the vaccination programme has gone so well in this and the other richer countries. However this isnt the case globally and in poorer countries. You could swear some have been living in the post war UK listening to some comments.

Until the world is vaccinated we are not out of it. Lift all restrictions. Yeah feck the 80 year old on the bus im not wearing a mask. Lets just travel everywhere without masks no need to isolate even with covid and spread the virus amongst other countries or allow another variant in our own.

We need to get back to as close as normal as we can with some sensible restrictions.

However we need the rest of the world vaccinated. Its scandalous that countries are not allowed to mass produce vaccines due to the vaccine patent. Credit must go to the US , Russia and China for backing the vaccine waver.

However the UK govt ???.... nah we are ok.