+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: IF Drakeford says...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: IF Drakeford says...

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Tuerto's my mate. He doesn't agree with me.

I'd be genuinely staggered if the results of that poll were an accurate reflection of the way the wider Welsh public is thinking, but these are very strange times. And the timing of the poll (assuming it was carried out very recently) is also telling.
    If it was a Brexit like 52/48, I’d agree, but even 60/40 is pretty conclusive and well beyond the margin of error in such polls. As I said when I posted the link, I’m surprised by the result, but I really can’t see how it can be wrong when the figures are so much in favour of the Welsh Government’s approach.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If it was a Brexit like 52/48, I’d agree, but even 60/40 is pretty conclusive and well beyond the margin of error in such polls. As I said when I posted the link, I’m surprised by the result, but I really can’t see how it can be wrong when the figures are so much in favour of the Welsh Government’s approach.
    I'm not surprised. What i hear is people saying that they just don't like Mark Drakeford, his demeanour, personality etc. I have to be straight with you though. Most of the people who i encounter on a daily basis are as thick as shit, i mean really stupid.

As I said when I posted the link, I’m surprised by the result, but I really can’t see how it can be wrong when the figures are so much in favour of the Welsh Government’s approach.
    Presumably, it isn't wrong. That was how things worked out when those 1,006 people were polled. But does that mean the wider Welsh public is thinking along similar lines? Who knows? So much would depend on who was polled, when they were polled, what was in the news at that precise point in time, what the personal circumstances of those polled were, etc etc.

In my experience, the 'neither' option would win such a poll by a landslide, and that's by no means restricted to the views of my friends either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Presumably, it isn't wrong. That was how things worked out when those 1,006 people were polled. But does that mean the wider Welsh public is thinking along similar lines? Who knows? So much would depend on who was polled, when they were polled, what was in the news at that precise point in time, what the personal circumstances of those polled were, etc etc.

In my experience, the 'neither' option would win such a poll by a landslide, and that's by no means restricted to the views of my friends either.
    Having seen Drakeford on TV this morning having is usual bash at the Westminster Government for ' abandoning the science' while he is keeping people safe in Wales, I wonder, if Labour were in power in Westminster, how much more aligned we in Wales would be to England's Covid rules and regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Having seen Drakeford on TV this morning having is usual bash at the Westminster Government for ' abandoning the science' while he is keeping people safe in Wales, I wonder, if Labour were in power in Westminster, how much more aligned we in Wales would be to England's Covid rules and regulations?
    I see that the BMA were quite critical on England basically abandoning all restrictions, because the PM lied about having a party.

I think we would very much be aligned to them.

However I dont think Englands rules would be what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think we would very much be aligned to them.

However I dont think Englands rules would be what they are.
    It's quite an interesting thing to ponder. Of course, all hypothetical, but if we did have a Labour govt during the pandemic it would have been one run by Jeremy Corbyn.

It's interesting to think about how he would have handled it. I dont think it would have been radically different, but I think he would have been a bit overawed, and I think we would have stuck to the EMA vaccine roll out, and I wonder if he would have been so open to working with the private sector on procurement and involvement with the NHS etc?

In terms of restrictions, whatever else Corbyn may be, he isnt really an authoritarian. I think he has a strong liberal streak, and is more like Johnson than Drakeford in that respect. I also think he would have recognised the mental wellbeing issues caused by it all and not sought to keep us locked down for longer than necessary.

My suspicion with Drakeford is that he is using this as a bit of a political power play. That is undoubtedly the case with Sturgeon, and I think it is to a lesser extent for Drakeford. In some cases he's just keen to do some things differently so he can claim to have done so and that devolution is working etc etc.

I also sense deep inside he quite enjoys the power, whereas Johnson, reckless as he is, at least feels embarrased to take our freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's quite an interesting thing to ponder. Of course, all hypothetical, but if we did have a Labour govt during the pandemic it would have been one run by Jeremy Corbyn.

It's interesting to think about how he would have handled it. I dont think it would have been radically different, but I think he would have been a bit overawed, and I think we would have stuck to the EMA vaccine roll out, and I wonder if he would have been so open to working with the private sector on procurement and involvement with the NHS etc?

In terms of restrictions, whatever else Corbyn may be, he isnt really an authoritarian. I think he has a strong liberal streak, and is more like Johnson than Drakeford in that respect. I also think he would have recognised the mental wellbeing issues caused by it all and not sought to keep us locked down for longer than necessary.

My suspicion with Drakeford is that he is using this as a bit of a political power play. That is undoubtedly the case with Sturgeon, and I think it is to a lesser extent for Drakeford. In some cases he's just keen to do some things differently so he can claim to have done so and that devolution is working etc etc.

I also sense deep inside he quite enjoys the power, whereas Johnson, reckless as he is, at least feels embarrased to take our freedoms.
    Your last point has made me laugh. Boris getting all angst about the thought of taking away personal freedoms by asking people to wear a face mask on public transport, whilst his government bring in The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill and rip up the Human Rights Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Your last point has made me laugh. Boris getting all angst about the thought of taking away personal freedoms by asking people to wear a face mask on public transport, whilst his government bring in The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill and rip up the Human Rights Act.

I give up Jordi. I started a thread about this which hardly registered but a Covid conspiracy theory or Drakeford character assassination thread will go for 20 odd pages. I used to find this stuff funny but now it just depresses me. I'll stick to watching us play to improve the mood. Oh, wait!

FOI request reveals Welsh Government have no evidence for the imposed restrictions and closure of Nightclubs in December.

https://twitter.com/statsjamie/statu...796407303?s=21

I really can’t see how it can be wrong when the figures are so much in favour of the Welsh Government’s approach.
    Sorry for replying to the same quote twice, but I've just read the whole article and I'd like you to work this one out if you can, because I most definitely can't:

Apparently, 60% of the 1,006 people polled believe the Welsh approach has been favourable to the English approach, but only 47% of the same people think the Welsh Government should decide which Covid-19 measures are introduced! Just 17% allegedly said they prefer the English approach, and yet 40% would prefer Westminster to make the decisions!

Didn't the poll also show that of people in England, as many people there thought the Welsh approach was better as the English one.