+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: My post about BBC Breakfast's montage of folk who had suffered bereavement in May 2020.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: My post about BBC Breakfast's montage of folk who had suffered bereavement in May 2020.......

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Sketches by Boz.

As this thread has mutated into questions about identities, my CCMB name is coined after Dewi Lewis who was sports editor of the Western Mail and wrote on Cardiff City and Wales football. He was also my uncle. He wrote under the name of Citizen and one book - A History Of Cardiff City - he wrote was under the name of Citizen. The cover is my profile picture.

Weirdly, it was a post by Cyclops asking who Citizen was that showed up in a Google search one day that prompted me to make my first post on here to answer the question (after lurking for years).

Hence, Citizen's Nephew.

Why Dewi chose Citizen I don't know. I never got to ask him.
    I think 'Citizen' was the resident non de plume for the City reporter going back to the 1920's, so your uncle inherited it so to speak. I actually remember your uncle, though not personally. He certainly like to have a drink between opening hours in the afternoons, and frequented a couple of the 'private' clubs that I was taken to by older colleagues many, many years ago !

Re: My post about BBC Breakfast's montage of folk who had suffered bereavement in May 2020.......

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think 'Citizen' was the resident non de plume for the City reporter going back to the 1920's, so your uncle inherited it so to speak. I actually remember your uncle, though not personally. He certainly like to have a drink between opening hours in the afternoons, and frequented a couple of the 'private' clubs that I was taken to by older colleagues many, many years ago !
    That's really interesting and that's so him! Most journalists back in the day spent their time in various watering holes. He used to smoke a pipe and have a bottle of Scotch in the old press box at NP, though he was always on his best behavior around me as a was I nipper. It's hard to imagine the difference in sports journalism back then, typewriters, film (analogue) cameras with no manual focus, and phoning through copy to the press office on landlines.

There was never any chance of being disturbed in the 'private' clubs though! I do remember my mum not being very happy when he and my father got 'locked in' the Old Arcade one afternoon and couldn't get out - at least that was the version I was told!

Now you've mentioned the City reporter I'm absolutely sure you'll be right because you've jogged my memory and I think I'd heard that mentioned years ago.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 14-01-22 at 19:51. Reason: spelling

Obviously meant to say 'no autofocus' in my last post not 'no manual focus'