+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Joe Ledley status as a Cardiff City player?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Club Legend

9 20.93%
  • Good player, not a legend

31 72.09%
  • Was a legend, but ruined it

2 4.65%
  • Traitor

1 2.33%

Thread: Joe Ledley Cardiff City status

Joe Ledley Cardiff City status

Seen some comments on instagram calling him a Cardiff City legend. I enjoyed every moment of him when he was here, but after the way he left, it put a sour taste in my mouth.

Leaving us in the shit on a free when we was in dire financial condition and barely even acknowledged us (he didn't).

Re: Joe Ledley Cardiff City status

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Seen some comments on instagram calling him a Cardiff City legend. I enjoyed every moment of him when he was here, but after the way he left, it put a sour taste in my mouth.

Leaving us in the shit on a free when we was in dire financial condition and barely even acknowledged us (he didn't).
    I don't blame him at all for the way he left or for choosing Celtic.

But I don't think Ledley is a club legend. Good player, fan and graduate of the youth system, but not a legend.

If that label is to mean anything it should apply to a small group of players who did much more and lasted much longer than Joe did with the club. Otherwise we will have more legends than journeymen in the club histories.

Whitts is a legend. Ledley is not.

We had our chance to cash in, Risdale didn’t take it.

I don’t see him as a club legend, purely as he wasn’t here long enough but I don’t blame him for moving to Celtic.

International

As much as I wish Whits wasn't, I always thought to be a legend a person had to first and foremost be dead.
    (Or an unverifiable story passed down through generations)

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I don't blame him at all for the way he left or for choosing Celtic.

But I don't think Ledley is a club legend. Good player, fan and graduate of the youth system, but not a legend.

If that label is to mean anything it should apply to a small group of players who did much more and lasted much longer than Joe did with the club. Otherwise we will have more legends than journeymen in the club histories.

Whitts is a legend. Ledley is not.
    No comparison imo. I like Ledley but think his status is enhanced by being a local lad.

You should be able to count the number of ‘legends’ on one hand

As for Joe, just listen to a few podcasts with him in. You’ll accept the decision.

The club at the time was in a position that it needed to sell one of its main assets each season to help with the books. That wasn't his doing.
    It's too early to categorise (almost) anyone from that era as a legend, but a local lad who played for us for years, and who scored the goal to get us to an FA Cup final will always be held in high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post

Got himself a much better deal at Celtic due to no transfer fee. Go on Joe! we would have been paying him f uck all for the first few years of his Pro career. We didn't do bad out of him. Hope he made as much money as he could. If he hadn't been up to scratch the club who 'Loved' him would've sent him on hid merry way at 17.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The club at the time was in a position that it needed to sell one of its main assets each season to help with the books. That wasn't his doing.
    It's too early to categorise (almost) anyone from that era as a legend, but a local lad who played for us for years, and who scored the goal to get us to an FA Cup final will always be held in high regard.
    But the club didn't sell him!! That's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But the club didn't sell him!! That's the point.
    And he was under no obligation to ensure he left the club at a time which ensured a fee was payable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    And he was under no obligation to ensure he left the club at a time which ensured a fee was payable.
    Yup, he's not a fan. Why do people get arsey about things like this? It was his profession and he had a duty to himself and his family to maximise his earnings. What is the problem with that?

His beard is definitely legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Got himself a much better deal at Celtic due to no transfer fee. Go on Joe! we would have been paying him f uck all for the first few years of his Pro career. We didn't do bad out of him. Hope he made as much money as he could. If he hadn't been up to scratch the club who 'Loved' him would've sent him on hid merry way at 17.
    This with bells on.

What an out of touch post by the OP

Yup, he's not a fan. Why do people get arsey about things like this? It was his profession and he had a duty to himself and his family to maximise his earnings. What is the problem with that?
    It is weird, isn't it? I think it's like those people that think actors are like the characters they play or that a journalist only writes for the same newspaper. They're jobs to these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It is weird, isn't it? I think it's like those people that think actors are like the characters they play or that a journalist only writes for the same newspaper. They're jobs to these guys.
    Absolutely. Not to make this about me in any way, but when i was on site years ago i crossed the road to another site for an extra 50p a square metre. I didn't care. The main contractor would've had me up the road by 10am on the first day if i hadn't been up to scratch. No loyalty when it comes to contracting work in my opinion.

Absolutely. Not to make this about me in any way, but when i was on site years ago i crossed the road to another site for an extra 50p a square metre. I didn't care. The main contractor would've had me up the road by 10am on the first day if i hadn't been up to scratch. No loyalty when it comes to contracting work in my opinion.
    Worked for ‘em all in the past, never once kissed the McAlpine, John Laing or Wimpey badge

[QUOTE=splott parker;5264323]Worked for ‘em all in the past, never once kissed the McAlpine, John Laing or Wimpey badge [/QUOTE

This was for medium sized outfits. Was contracting to Wenvoe Construction (remember them?) and crossed the road to a Jehu site.

[QUOTE=Tuerto;5264331]
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Worked for ‘em all in the past, never once kissed the McAlpine, John Laing or Wimpey badge [/QUOTE

This was for medium sized outfits. Was contracting to Wenvoe Construction (remember them?) and crossed the road to a Jehu site.
    Yep, remember Wenvoe, in fact I remember too much about site work. Why I did it for years God knows, private work has its headaches but site regimentation did my swede in. Even stricter now apparently.

I don't understand how grown men can't get their heads around a footballer wanting the best and the most from his short career. If he had a different job, people would applaud him for leaving an easy situation in his home town and living in a strange city far from there to do what's best for himself and his family.

Having said that. Not a legend. He would be had we won the FA Cup.