+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Light Frustration

Traffic Light Frustration

Anyone else had the dubious experience of the traffic lights in Llandaff, the ones just past Rookwood Hospital turning into Cardiff Rd. Had to drop someone off in Fairwater about 4ish this afternoon and got caught up in the queue. Was there about 35 minutes, I counted 7 seconds that the lights were actually on green, enabling about two cars to go through them. Found another problem when I hit the front of the queue, cars jump the lights on Cardiff Rd so when you’re on green you have no exit, so have to wait. Got through on my second green light. Pretty poor system all round.

Re: Traffic Light Frustration

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone else had the dubious experience of the traffic lights in Llandaff, the ones just past Rookwood Hospital turning into Cardiff Rd. Had to drop someone off in Fairwater about 4ish this afternoon and got caught up in the queue. Was there about 35 minutes, I counted 7 seconds that the lights were actually on green, enabling about two cars to go through them. Found another problem when I hit the front of the queue, cars jump the lights on Cardiff Rd so when you’re on green you have no exit, so have to wait. Got through on my second green light. Pretty poor system all round.
    They’re still the same are they? I lived in Pentrebane and used to dread driving to Llandaff High Street, I tried all sorts of weird and wonderful routes in my efforts to make a twenty plus minutes journey of no more than two miles into the five minute one it used to be when I first started driving, but I never succeeded - those lights were the worst though by some way.

International

Don't want to make it easy for Fairwater riff raff to get into the City! (Llandaff city that is )

As soon as a vehicle bigger than a car wants to turn right from Cardiff Rd towards Rookwood it snarls up.
    I do wonder if it would work better with a mini roundabout instead of the lights? Could be worth trying at least maybe?

Turning left there's been a filter for a while, but if you want to turn left it's just a car or two, as you say. Light goes green, release hand brake, depress clutch, put into 1st gear, and slowly pull away..

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Turning left there's been a filter for a while, but if you want to turn left it's just a car or two, as you say. Light goes green, release hand brake, depress clutch, put into 1st gear, and slowly pull away..
    Light goes red and amber, foot of brake pedal... gone!!

I propose closing Llandaff City to all traffic and putting in ten bicycle lanes, close the pubs and turn them into Panini shops.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I propose closing Llandaff City to all traffic and putting in ten bicycle lanes, close the pubs and turn them into Panini shops.
    That's an oxymoron!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Light goes red and amber, foot of brake pedal... gone!!
    I thought that whilst queueing but not a prayer, there’s nowhere for you to go, there’s a line of cars on Cardiff Rd itself, cars that have no doubt jumped the lights on the main drag. They aren’t moving to allow you in either because it’s choc a bloc down to the Western Avenue lights and they physically can’t make a space. There’s pedestrian crossing lights just before High St and I sussed out that if you’re lucky they’ve just been on red and there’s a ‘catch up’ run then which filters back to the lights in question.

I hope my workmate’s car is back on the road Monday, otherwise I’m in it again

That's an oxymoron!
    No Traffic, no problem with Traffic Lights. That's an old Chinese Proverb.

Did you know that Japan's traffic lights are red, orange and........blue?
    It's a linguistics thing as 'ao' describes both green and blue.

Similarly, we apply the adjective 'red' to some items that are actually orange e.g. red hair, robins etc. This is due to the word 'orange' not entering the English language before the eponymous fruit was brought here.

I bore myself sometimes......

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Similarly, we apply the adjective 'red' to some items that are actually orange e.g. red hair, robins etc. This is due to the word 'orange' not entering the English language before the eponymous fruit was brought here.

A few years back i had a thing for orange flavoured Yoghurt from M+S. I couldn't see any on the shelf in the refrigerated area so i asked one of the assistants if they had any in stock. She looked up and down the aisle and said no, the closest we have is Peach. Now, i can only conclude that she said Peach because a Peach has an orange tint on it's skin, that's the only resemblance. The closest thing to a peach is a nectarine and the closest thing to an orange is a Lemon. I can remember muttering 'Just ****off' under my breath at her.

I bore myself and plenty of others around me sometimes......

You wotk for Cardiff traffic planning dept, don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    You wotk for Cardiff traffic planning dept, don't you.
    rumbled

International

No Traffic, no problem with Traffic Lights. That's an old Chinese Proverb.
    But shirley cycles are "traffic"?

But shirley cycles are "traffic"?
    Friendly Traffic, Cyclists are passive.......

International

Friendly Traffic, Cyclists are passive.......
    Humpf!! Traffic is traffic. If so the making of 10 cycle lanes is even more money being wasted. But it's OK if its not being wasted on motors!!
    Like the several million for the one in the heath

But they put traffic lights up for the cycle lanes in town. Of course no cyclists take any notice because everyone knows cyclists are immune to traffic regulations! They still ride across the road in front of motor traffic and get irate if anyone suggest they may be doing anything wrong.

(sorry, didn't mean to get serious )

All these roads were used by bicycles long before motor cars came along.
    If every car occupied by one person was replaced by a person on a bike then traffic wouldn't take up aboutva quarter of the space it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    If every car occupied by one person was replaced by a person on a bike then traffic wouldn't take up aboutva quarter of the space it does now.
    So I’m giving my mate a lift home on my bike, he’s on the crossbar, my tools are in a big saddlebag on the pillion, my spirit level’s nigh on up his arse. Gets stopped by The Bulldog (gone now) and got done for two on a bike. Never taking your advice again!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Did you know that in South Africa traffic lights are called 'robots'?

International

If every car occupied by one person was replaced by a person on a bike then traffic wouldn't take up about a quarter of the space it does now.
    The roads in question in the OP were used by horses long before they were used by bicycles so get rid of the bicycles and lets have mounds of horse shite on the roads again. And Mr Drakeford would save a fortune not having to repair any roads at all.
    Bicycles which were pedal powered only started to be made in the 1830-1850s. not so long before the motor car, and I doubt they had caught on much in rural Wales by then.

It is worthy of note that as far back as 1819 people were using an old kind of bicycle that was propelled by pushing your feet on the ground and even then the riders thought they were a law unto themselves just like today, many being fined in London for riding on the pavement. Some things never change!

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryU...risis-of-1894/

The roads in question in the OP were used by horses long before they were used by bicycles so get rid of the bicycles and lets have mounds of horse shite on the roads again. And Mr Drakeford would save a fortune not having to repair any roads at all.
    Bicycles which were pedal powered only started to be made in the 1830-1850s. not so long before the motor car, and I doubt they had caught on much in rural Wales by then.

It is worthy of note that as far back as 1819 people were using an old kind of bicycle that was propelled by pushing your feet on the ground and even then the riders thought they were a law unto themselves just like today, many being fined in London for riding on the pavement. Some things never change!

Probably the reason why mudguards were developed for bikes🙂

International

Probably the reason why mudguards were developed for bikes��
    they weren't, bikes then didn't have any mudguards.

Think of the rhubarb!

International

Think of the rhubarb!
    Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

can't you tell from my silly posts today that i am bored sh**less. On a long night shift following a concrete pour sitting in the site office all on my own!