+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HS2

HS2

I’ve just priced up Cardiff to Edinburgh on the train for the next half term. Train return was £434. Flying was just over £60

Now every time I watch question time and scrapping HS2 is mentioned it gets a big round of applause. I don’t get it. So much hostility to new infrastructure in the UK.

Re: HS2

Why would HS2 make it cheaper?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Stop being sensible!!

the trains are ridiculously priced in this country. for intercity travel it should be a no brainer, yet it is frequently quicker and cheaper to drive. how I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It allows for more capacity on the lines

Why are we in Wales laying for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Why are we in Wales laying for it?
    Because we’re very, very tired.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Because we’re very, very tired.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Does the Cardiff to Edinburgh route have any crossover with the London to Birmingham route?

Train travel in the uk is the most expensive form of public transport in the world, FACT. It costs more money per mile to travel on trains in the UK than a first class ticket on Concorde was!

How does that make it cheaper?

Used to go to away games regularly by train in the 60s, me and my lot fancied it again lately. Horrendous prices, not viable at all. I’d love to go by rail again but I fear it’ll never happen. Checked it out for the Liverpool game, £100 return was the cheapest I could find, we opted for National Express at £41 return.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Does the Cardiff to Edinburgh route have any crossover with the London to Birmingham route?
    There isn't a Cardiff to Edinburgh route, just different ways to get between the two.

As things stand, travel to the north is often cheaper going through Manchester as advance train prices are cheaper between here and Manchester than between here and Birmingham.

Train lines are a monopoly even with multiple operators only one can operate a journey. It would be expensive as **** still don’t be naive.

Used to go to away games regularly by train in the 60s, me and my lot fancied it again lately. Horrendous prices, not viable at all. I’d love to go by rail again but I fear it’ll never happen. Checked it out for the Liverpool game, £100 return was the cheapest I could find, we opted for National Express at £41 return.
    Trains can be the best way to travel but the cost of them in this country are ridiculous.

Flying is cheap as we don’t pay tax on airline fuel. If we paid tax on the fuel it fall into line with other transport. However train travel in the UK is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski View Post
    Flying is cheap as we don’t pay tax on airline fuel. If we paid tax on the fuel it fall into line with other transport. However train travel in the UK is too expensive.
    We give train operators billions of taxpayers money which we don't give to airlines.

What is the solution? I love a train journey and if it was more affordable would use them 100%. Millions must be lost when people like us see the prices and immediately dismiss it and hit the road, madness really.

What is the solution? I love a train journey and if it was more affordable would use them 100%. Millions must be lost when people like us see the prices and immediately dismiss it and hit the road, madness really.
    Renationalising them is a swear word to some, but we pay billions to train operators when they don't make a profit, then when they do, they keep it. The railways cost the taxpayer more in real terms now than they ever did when they were under public ownership.

Airlines don’t pay tax on any of their fuel, so we subsidise in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski View Post
    Airlines don’t pay tax on any of their fuel, so we subsidise in a different way.
    I'm aware of that. I presume the answer lies with global cooperation, so there's little chance of things changing that much. In the UK we charge duties on tickets, that barely covers it and if it rose significantly, would result in lots of people ditching plane travel - not good for those who rely on the speed of it for business and government.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm aware of that. I presume the answer lies with global cooperation, so there's little chance of things changing that much. In the UK we charge duties on tickets, that barely covers it and if it rose significantly, would result in lots of people ditching plane travel - not good for those who rely on the speed of it for business and government.
    Absolutely, not a level playing field or train track even!

Having not taken a train for years Its become a viable option now on cost.
    Just come back from London £119 return (2 adults and 2 kids).
    If we drove up it would have been about £55 fuel, £35 parking, £15 congestion charge/ULEZ.
    For that little bit more it was worth it to relax and just under 2 hours.
    Same sort of costing when I went to Stanstead airport a couple of months ago.

Bristol City away next week £13.50 all day return just for me.

I’ve just priced up Cardiff to Edinburgh on the train for the next half term. Train return was £434. Flying was just over £60

Now every time I watch question time and scrapping HS2 is mentioned it gets a big round of applause. I don’t get it. So much hostility to new infrastructure in the UK.
    It won't knock hundreds of pounds off the cost of a train journey but have you tried any split-ticketing websites?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It won't knock hundreds of pounds off the cost of a train journey but have you tried any split-ticketing websites?
    I have been using the Trainline app and been happy with the price I paid.
    I’ll have a look as I’ll probably do the Train for the Liverpool game.