+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst home record in the entire league

Worst home record in the entire league

We've now played 12 games at home in the league this season. We're currently bottom of the 'home' league table with a dreadful 7 points from 12 games. This is how we compare with all 4 divisions:

Gillingham (bottom of League 1) - 9 points
    Oldham Athletic (bottom of League 2) - 8 points
    Cardiff City - 7 points.

Both Burnley and Watford have 7 points but have played fewer games than Cardiff City.

How does our form compare with previous Cardiff City seasons?

1994/95 - 2-3-7 13-17 Failed to score in 4, kept 2 clean sheets
    1985/86 - 2-3-7 8-16 Failed to score in 6, kept 2 clean sheets
    1984/85 - 2-2-8 14-28 Failed to score in 3, kept 1 clean sheet
    2021/22 - 2-1-9 9-19 Failed to score in 7, kept no clean sheets

In short, our home form from the start of the season is the worst it has ever been over 12 games. It is a truly shocking record, particularly when you think we had some pretty woeful Cardiff sides in the 80s and 90s.

5 is the lowest number of home wins we've recorded in a full season. We've never lost more than 13 home fixtures in a season.

Our remaining visitors to our fortress are Nottingham Forest, Peterborough United, Coventry City, Blackpool, Fulham, Derby County, Preston North End, Stoke City, Swansea City, Luton Town and Birmingham City. We need to find a way of picking up results at home and fast!

Re: Worst home record in the entire league

I am always the optimist and think it can only get better.....(can't it?)

Thanks Eric the Half a Bee for all your work on the stats....! I certainly appreciate it.

as an aside.....guess who holds a unique record?
    Robert Earnshaw is the only player to have scored a hat-trick in the Premier League, all three divisions of the English Football League, the League Cup, the FA Cup, and for his country in an international match.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I am always the optimist and think it can only get better.....(can't it?)

Thanks Eric the Half a Bee for all your work on the stats....! I certainly appreciate it.
    not really a fan of city are you

as an aside.....guess who holds a unique record?
    Robert Earnshaw is the only player to have scored a hat-trick in the Premier League, all three divisions of the English Football League, the League Cup, the FA Cup, and for his country in an international match.
    That's a well known fact you've quoted there Maurice !

Eric..what is the all time record for home losses in the English league?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    That's a well known fact you've quoted there Maurice !
    Is it...I never knew that!!!

Derby once amassed a total of 6 points in a season.
    We are already better than that.

That MUST be the worst...when was that?

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    That was the Premier League so we could definitely outdo their 13 home defeats

It's not that much of a surprise really. The onus is usually on the home side to take the game to the away side, not always, but in most cases, especially in the championship. We are not assertive enough at home. we don't seem to go out to win, rather, we react when we go a goal down. Morison needs to find a way, although it must be difficult when the midfield three are slightly more mobile than a traffic cone. We need a player or two in the midfield as a matter of urgency, they don't create a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    not really a fan of city are you
    Maybe 63 years supporting doesn't qualify me yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's not that much of a surprise really. The onus is usually on the home side to take the game to the away side, not always, but in most cases, especially in the championship. We are not assertive enough at home. we don't seem to go out to win, rather, we react when we go a goal down. Morison needs to find a way, although it must be difficult when the midfield three are slightly more mobile than a traffic cone. We need a player or two in the midfield as a matter of urgency, they don't create a thing.
    spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Agree with that. Our first half record must be just about the worst in the football league too. I expect if we played Shrewsbury Ladies team we would start with three centre backs eight defensive players hope to keep it tight for the first thirty minutes and perhaps bring on a couple of attacking players with twenty minutes to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Agree with that. Our first half record must be just about the worst in the football league too. I expect if we played Shrewsbury Ladies team we would start with three centre backs eight defensive players hope to keep it tight for the first thirty minutes and perhaps bring on a couple of attacking players with twenty minutes to go.
    We are too defensive, that's fine if we are calculated about playing that way, like hitting teams on the break or switching tactics when the game is swaying our way. We don't do that, and we play defensively because the management team know that we aren't good enough to play in a more assertive way. The biggest concern though is that it isn't working and morison must find another way. Two in midfield is a must, or a change in formation. Wing backs is all we have and it hasn't worked. We need something from the middle of the pitch urgently.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Yes, our first half record is also the worst in the league. Only Everton have amassed less first half points than us but they've played 6 games less.

Our record of scoring only 3 first half goals all season in the league is comfortably the worst as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    It was 11 points.

I'm looking through some tables. Cambridge United lost 18 at home in 1984/85 in Division 3. Doncaster lost 17 at home in 1997/98 in the bottom tier. I think it would take some doing to be worse than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It was 11 points.
    Did he mean six home points?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Did he mean six home points?
    No. They won 8 points at home.

Worst Home fans in the league…but the best away!

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Worst Home fans in the league…but the best away!
    Bollox.
    I'm sick of this kind of comment doing the rounds this season. We're a really crap side this season. Circa 18K at home compared to say 2K away deserves better. D'ya think we'd still be afloat without the season ticket holders and home fans turning up? If anything, the players have let the home fans down big time this season and should be able to deal with some groans and moans. I watched Villa today and there were plenty of those when their players gave possession away cheaply and they were deserved.
    If you're going to loads of away matches you should know that your comment is rubbish about our home fans. I was at St Andrews, it was like a morgue compared to the CCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Bollox.
    I'm sick of this kind of comment doing the rounds this season. We're a really crap side this season. Circa 18K at home compared to say 2K away deserves better. D'ya think we'd still be afloat without the season ticket holders and home fans turning up? If anything, the players have let the home fans down big time this season and should be able to deal with some groans and moans. I watched Villa today and there were plenty of those when their players gave possession away cheaply and they were deserved.
    If you're going to loads of away matches you should know that your comment is rubbish about our home fans. I was at St Andrews, it was like a morgue compared to the CCS.
    Really? Home games are a chore these days….and you realise that there are nowhere near 18K in there …right?

I don’t think we are “really crap” this season, after a decent start, we have had lot’s of injuries to key players, and our ‘centre forwards’ have not delivered unfortunately, hopefully that will change.
    I was also at St Andrews, and even when we were 2-0 down, we may not have been loud (we were losing by 2 goals), but I personally did not hear any negativity, like you do at home games.

Also, gate money doesn’t “keep us afloat” ….it’s peanuts compared to TV revenue these days.

Really? Home games are a chore these days….and you realise that there are nowhere near 18K in there …right?

I don’t think we are “really crap” this season, after a decent start, we have had lot’s of injuries to key players, and our ‘centre forwards’ have not delivered unfortunately, hopefully that will change.
    I was also at St Andrews, and even when we were 2-0 down, we may not have been loud (we were losing by 2 goals), but I personally did not hear any negativity, like you do at home games.

Also, gate money doesn’t “keep us afloat” ….it’s peanuts compared to TV revenue these days.
    Mare of a post

I don’t think we are “really crap” this season….
    City are definitely really crap this season. Were it not for points deductions at Derby and Reading, the side would have been entrenched in the relegation zone for much of the campaign.

The team has posted a club record run of 8 consecutive league defeats, they haven’t kept a clean sheet in 25 games in all competitions and they’ve lost 9 of the last ten 10 home league games, failing to score in 7 of those defeats.

City are really crap this season.