+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Morison OUT

Morison OUT

Can’t stand the arrogant prick.

Wants to take all the credit for the positives, but no responsibility for the negatives.

So far out of his depth not even a rubber ring and arm bands can save him.

Re: Morison OUT

As you know I haven't warmed to the guy and I find it increasingly difficult to stay objective. We've won 3 League matches since he took over at Stoke on 30th October. Four matches in total if you include the FA cup win against Preston. We've had some spectacular draws (can't believe I wrote that) from 3 and 2 nil down. Impressive fightbacks from the players who could have crumbled.

But, and this is a huge 'but', not once do I think he knows his starting eleven (we're January 16th), and after being encouraged by his boldness to play younger players and early substitutions he now looks like a rabbit in the headlights and tactically, I think he's poor. On two occasions we've looked clueless when the opposition has been down to 10.

It's been said that the comments about Isaak Davies were blown up out of all proportion. I believe they were very revealing about him and I'll always regard them as damaging to both him as a manager and to Isaak.

TOBW quite rightly mentioned on a thread about attack v defense that we can't keep coming back from goals down. This is absolutely true of course. Why are we able to kick into gear and pull back those draws after going goals down? What's the mindset of the players from the off? I remember one season when Arsenal under Wenger were terrible in defence but if they let in 3 Arsenal would score 4 or 5. It was end-to-end stuff. We trundle up the park and never, ever, look like a winning side.

Sang, Colwill, Davies, Harris have so much more to offer us and he's wasting them. Worse than that, he's now, IMO damaging them as they're not getting enough minutes.

The day he criticised the young boy in public was the end for me, I lost interest in Morison,

Dalman & co should be drawing up a shortlist of replacements…I don’t think Bellamy is ready to manage our club, I would go and get Rooney he’s doing a great job at Derby.

if not Rooney then I would get Eddie Newton because he’s hungry and guys like him don’t get many opportunity’s for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    As you know I haven't warmed to the guy and I find it increasingly difficult to stay objective. We've won 3 League matches since he took over at Stoke on 30th October. Four matches in total if you include the FA cup win against Preston. We've had some spectacular draws (can't believe I wrote that) from 3 and 2 nil down. Impressive fightbacks from the players who could have crumbled.

But, and this is a huge 'but', not once do I think he knows his starting eleven (we're January 16th), and after being encouraged by his boldness to play younger players and early substitutions he now looks like a rabbit in the headlights and tactically, I think he's poor. On two occasions we've looked clueless when the opposition has been down to 10.

It's been said that the comments about Isaak Davies were blown up out of all proportion. I believe they were very revealing about him and I'll always regard them as damaging to both him as a manager and to Isaak.

TOBW quite rightly mentioned on a thread about attack v defense that we can't keep coming back from goals down. This is absolutely true of course. Why are we able to kick into gear and pull back those draws after going goals down? What's the mindset of the players from the off? I remember one season when Arsenal under Wenger were terrible in defence but if they let in 3 Arsenal would score 4 or 5. It was end-to-end stuff. We trundle up the park and never, ever, look like a winning side.

Sang, Colwill, Davies, Harris have so much more to offer us and he's wasting them. Worse than that, he's now, IMO damaging them as they're not getting enough minutes.
    I don't think there's any way Morison will be leaving in the next few months, so it's not worth getting too worked up about him for now. However, I can't argue with much of what you say and have noticed an increased tendency to stick with the tried, tested and failing this season at least senior pros who I'd say are most responsible for getting us in this mess. Yes, he's brought in one on loan youngster for another at wing back (thereby relegating Bagan back to the bench again) and it seems very likely that we will be signing a twenty year old central midfielder with a big reputation (but no first team starts for Hamburg while on loan there during the first half of the season I note), but will he bar Bowen's way back into first team contention?

Davies for Harris was a typically "safe", typically football Manager type of switch when you consider that the hard working, but under achieving, Collins was getting nowhere in his search for his first home goal nearly six months after his debut. Harris has been scoring goals more regularly and has plenty of experience playing as the attack leader in age group games, he was also doing well yesterday, but when one youngster comes on, it has to be another one that makes way it seems, because that's the way it's always been.

Colwill isn't a Wilson or Tomlin yet, but he's the closest thing we have to one at the moment and yet, Morison is placing less and less faith in him as time goes on it seems as his time on the pitch has declined in recent weeks. Who in yesterday's starting line up was going to provide that x factor, creativity now that we have lost Giles' crossing ability (Drameh did well in the first half in particular, but I saw nothing to suggest that his crossing was up to Giles' standard)?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't think there's any way Morison will be leaving in the next few months, so it's not worth getting too worked up about him for now. However, I can't argue with much of what you say and have noticed an increased tendency to stick with the tried, tested and failing this season at least senior pros who I'd say are most responsible for getting us in this mess. Yes, he's brought in one on loan youngster for another at wing back (thereby relegating Bagan back to the bench again) and it seems very likely that we will be signing a twenty year old central midfielder with a big reputation (but no first team starts for Hamburg while on loan there during the first half of the season I note), but will he bar Bowen's way back into first team contention?

Davies for Harris was a typically "safe", typically football Manager type of switch when you consider that the hard working, but under achieving, Collins was getting nowhere in his search for his first home goal nearly six months after his debut. Harris has been scoring goals more regularly and has plenty of experience playing as the attack leader in age group games, he was also doing well yesterday, but when one youngster comes on, it has to be another one that makes way it seems, because that's the way it's always been.

Colwill isn't a Wilson or Tomlin yet, but he's the closest thing we have to one at the moment and yet, Morison is placing less and less faith in him as time goes on it seems as his time on the pitch has declined in recent weeks. Who in yesterday's starting line up was going to provide that x factor, creativity now that we have lost Giles' crossing ability (Drameh did well in the first half in particular, but I saw nothing to suggest that his crossing was up to Giles' standard)?
    I understand that Morison hasn't had a transfer window and it was previous managers and the board have stripped out all pace and creativity... Leaving us with a depleted squad devoid of pace and flair... relying ONLY on the youngsters to consistently deliver the flair needed to create chances was always a risky policy, if there has been any playing policy at all,

All of that is pretty well undeniable.

So while I don't blame Morison for the squad issues, he's certainly not helping himself.

At home, where we have such an appalling record, surely the team selection and formation should be more ambitious.

For me Davies (or Evans) has to start to add the zip and guile needed. Davies provided more crosses in his brief cameo yesterday than we had in the whole of game until he came on. With his little runs turn of pace he caused problems... Why o why can't we start like that.

Secondly, Vaulks offers very little in terms of an attacking force... Especially when we have 5 at the back and two other defensive minded players in a midfield 3. Starting with 8 defensive players, 9 if you include the keeper, puts an awful lot of pressure on the two front men.

Bring Vaulks on when we need to kill a game and he can run around, get booked, waste time and be a nuisance... But to start Vaulks when we need goals, especially at home, seems, actually, quite stupid, especially in light of an already defensive formation and team selection.

And even with better passing and possession... It doesn't equate to goals or chances if the team lacks guile and pace. Collins, who cuts a frustrating figure, drops deeper and wider to get involved due to the lack of final third quality. He works hard but in the wrong places.... I would say that as an attacking player myself, he would definitely love to spend less time fighting for the ball out wide and more time recieving the ball and making runs into the box.

The formation hasn't worked all season, hence our league position... Playing with essentially 9 defensive players in a negative formation and still conceding goal after goal... Is very McCarthy-esque.

I say the next few weeks are critical for Morison if he has any ambitions to be manager next season and not in league 1.

He needs to be brave and ambitious on the pitch.

What is the point of continually starting three centre-backs who are awful in possession when we haven't kept a clean sheet since August?

I like him, I don’t think there are many logger realistic options until the end of the season.

I'd be surprised if he's still first team manager next season

He's inexperienced. He's learning on the job. He has been dealt a poor hand with a demoralised and unbalanced squad lacking much quality. He is surrounded by equally inexperienced coaches at Championship first team level (bar Dibs).

Given all that I think he has done OK with the opportunity. He has a strong personality and an honesty in interviews that is rare. He has made mistakes - publicly dumping on Zimba and Davies was wrong - but the general tone when it comes to performance and the expectations of the club has been right. He also spent the best part of an hour with Zimba and with Davies the Monday after they were hooked going through the match tapes. However, there has been no indication he spends a similar amount of time and effort coaching and pushing the more senior squad members who have under performed!

He is certainly no tactical genius, but there has been a significant change in playing style (with the Mick formation) and more square pegs in square holes. I'm not convinced yet by his claims of a tighter defence (still leaky if not as leaky as under Mick) and the entire team is hamstrung by the absence or poor form of our top striker. I think he should be braver with some of his substitutions, but that may just be an ignorant fan wanting Colwill, Davies and Harries at the top of the pitch and a four at the back without knowing anything about fitness, training or the performance numbers.

I think the jury is still out.

The biggest factor for me is we haven't been able to keep a clean sheet.
    Yes the football is better but if you are always chasing a game with inexperienced youngsters you are up against it.
    I think we are religation bound the only thing that can save us is points deductions.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    The day he criticised the young boy in public was the end for me, I lost interest in Morison,

Dalman & co should be drawing up a shortlist of replacements…I don’t think Bellamy is ready to manage our club, I would go and get Rooney he’s doing a great job at Derby.

if not Rooney then I would get Eddie Newton because he’s hungry and guys like him don’t get many opportunity’s for obvious reasons.
    I agree with Rooney he's been outstanding at Derby this season.

It's quite obvious that conceding goals is our biggest problem. Morison was quick enough, in his first game, to make changes to try and get us to score goals. We'd gone 5 without scoring to that point. We found a way to get a 3-3 draw at Stoke.

As we approach a club record for successive games without a clean sheet, surely a manager would have considered changing things at the back in terms of formation. Instead he blindly goes for 3 centre backs game after game, when it's obvious that it doesn't suit our personnel. It's not strictly true that it's the only formation we can use with the players we have, but the only changes he makes in defence is to drop anyone who has a mare and replace them.

Rooney has done a great job at Derby and he may well leave given their financial problems but the good job he has been doing will have been noted and you have to suspect he will do a lot better than Cardiff maybe even a premier league club. Can’t see him coming to Cardiff it would be A bit out of the frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Rooney has done a great job at Derby and he may well leave given their financial problems but the good job he has been doing will have been noted and you have to suspect he will do a lot better than Cardiff maybe even a premier league club. Can’t see him coming to Cardiff it would be A bit out of the frying pan.
    Agree, he's out of our league now....soon he will be literally.

Rooney may well be replacing Benitez at Everton soon.

I just can't get my ahead around Rooney as a good manager but he's clearly doing something right, although you could argue he's in a no lose situation there because he's basically blameless if they end up bottom so anything good they do will be cheered to the rafters. Relatively pressure free in comparison to other jobs

This club's crying out for a Bellamy. If he came in, with all the youngsters that have now had a bit of experience and the inevitable clearout this summer I'd be more excited about next season than I have been for a long long time, even if we've been relegated

Mental thread. Give him time ffs hasn't even had a transfer window.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly - needs to be a bit more measured in his immediate post match interviews

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    But he hasn't got time, he's only contracted for another 5 months

Morison IN for me.
    no point in changing anything before the summer, and let's see where he can take us.
    he's the only manager we've had in the last god knows how long who isn't reaching for route one.
    yes we've got a long way to go, but I'd prefer to be going in the correct direction at least.

if you'd have said that the side he inherited from Mick McCarthy would be without Moore and Giles then you'd have thought we would be truly awful, but we've been a lot better than the mess that was the end of the McCarthy days.
    we initially improved under Morison, and we've now had a run of narrow defeats against some of the better sides in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Morison IN for me.
    no point in changing anything before the summer, and let's see where he can take us.
    he's the only manager we've had in the last god knows how long who isn't reaching for route one.
    yes we've got a long way to go, but I'd prefer to be going in the correct direction at least.

if you'd have said that the side he inherited from Mick McCarthy would be without Moore and Giles then you'd have thought we would be truly awful, but we've been a lot better than the mess that was the end of the McCarthy days.
    we initially improved under Morison, and we've now had a run of narrow defeats against some of the better sides in the division.
    I wouldn’t call yesterday’s game a narrow defeat Blackburn didn’t get out of 2nd gear they beat us comfortably.

I wouldn’t call yesterday’s game a narrow defeat Blackburn didn’t get out of 2nd gear they beat us comfortably.
    How comfortable is any team at 1-0

ok sure, they hammered us 1-0

How do you know they didn't get out of 2nd gear - maybe we kept the out of it - I prefer to be positive about yesterday's performance as others are free to look at that game as they see fit

Not the time to sack him, but it is frustrating that he keeps picking 3 defensive CMs. 2 plus a more attacking option like Colwill or Sang would make a big difference I think. Maybe he'll play Doyle there if we get him.
    I am worried that Bacuna's ban is over now though. If he's in the starting line-up on Saturday I might change my mind.