+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Morison OUT

Re: Morison OUT

in terms of refreshing the squad, the players we've been linked to recently are pretty good, if that's the way we are going to go then I wouldn't have too many complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in terms of refreshing the squad, the players we've been linked to recently are pretty good, if that's the way we are going to go then I wouldn't have too many complaints
    He's here to keep us up. If he succeeds he'll have done his job. This isn't the start of some major re-building, we're just bring in a few players to add to the squad and give him more options.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    He's here to keep us up. If he succeeds he'll have done his job. This isn't the start of some major re-building, we're just bring in a few players to add to the squad and give him more options.
    yeah of course this window is likely to be only loan moves to help steer us clear of the drop.
    I meant the next window where we are potentially losing like 9 players or something

Any club doing any planning would never have appointed him. Our chairman explicitly ruled him out but 4 points from 9 was enough to get him the job. Had kieffer not scored a last minute goal to win v Huddersfield Morison would never have got the job.

However worth a go. I however have seen enough. The guy is hugely out of his depth and its frankly embarrassing having him manage the club when he conducts himself the way he does. We have purse and Hudson here also-both would be a better fit than Morison. I'd get shot ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Any club doing any planning would never have appointed him. Our chairman explicitly ruled him out but 4 points from 9 was enough to get him the job. Had kieffer not scored a last minute goal to win v Huddersfield Morison would never have got the job.

However worth a go. I however have seen enough. The guy is hugely out of his depth and its frankly embarrassing having him manage the club when he conducts himself the way he does. We have purse and Hudson here also-both would be a better fit than Morison. I'd get shot ASAP.
    why do you think purse and Hudson would be better?

people seem to be reading a lot into a couple of admittedly poor interviews - that's a very small part of the job in my opinion. if he gets us winning games then he can be as arsey as he likes in interviews

why do you think purse and Hudson would be better?

people seem to be reading a lot into a couple of admittedly poor interviews - that's a very small part of the job in my opinion. if he gets us winning games then he can be as arsey as he likes in interviews
    Not sure myself about the Purse/Hudson idea, if Hudson was brought in to improve the defence he hasn't managed that at all yet.

I think Morison should absolutely be given to the end of the season, but this summer is probably the biggest summer in recent memory terms of club direction and the long term managerial appointment will have a massive bearing on the path we'll take. I just hope the board make sure they get the right guy

if the season ended today then I dunno, you could understand them letting him go, but on the other hand I would fear a return to long ball style with whatever appointment they come up with next.

in terms of what we've seen so far I'd say:
    positives:
    a genuine desire for us to play a more modern style of football, that hasn't been abandoned at the first hurdle.
    undeniable improvement in results and performances from the end of the McCarthy regime.
    he's demonstrated that he understands the system that we are trying to play, no longer are we playing centre backs or central midfielders at wing back.
    continued McCarthy's good work in bringing young players into the side - more often playing them in their correct positions.
    the team seems motivated and with good togetherness (although it is still early days)
    the team can battle their way back into a match after going behind.

negatives:
    we are still very much in a relegation scrap
    results are still not good
    his interview style could use a lot of polish.
    seems a bit too defensive on a personal level
    we still concede soft goals far too easily often from simple through balls.
    we don't have very much attacking threat still.

I'd say 5.5/10 so far, but we need to turn some of the promising steps into actual results
    I think the problem of turning promising steps into results is that it won't happen overnight. We're moving to a different style of playing which is going to take more than a dozen games to be settled and work. Patience is clearly the key, though as the games tick by, patience will grow increasingly thin. If we're in the bottom 3 with a few games to go, I imagine we'd end up reverting back to a more gung-ho type of game.

if the season ended today then I dunno, you could understand them letting him go, but on the other hand I would fear a return to long ball style with whatever appointment they come up with next.

in terms of what we've seen so far I'd say:
    positives:
    a genuine desire for us to play a more modern style of football, that hasn't been abandoned at the first hurdle.
    undeniable improvement in results and performances from the end of the McCarthy regime.
    he's demonstrated that he understands the system that we are trying to play, no longer are we playing centre backs or central midfielders at wing back.
    continued McCarthy's good work in bringing young players into the side - more often playing them in their correct positions.
    the team seems motivated and with good togetherness (although it is still early days)
    the team can battle their way back into a match after going behind.

negatives:
    we are still very much in a relegation scrap
    results are still not good
    his interview style could use a lot of polish.
    seems a bit too defensive on a personal level
    we still concede soft goals far too easily often from simple through balls.
    we don't have very much attacking threat still.

I'd say 5.5/10 so far, but we need to turn some of the promising steps into actual results
    I would be more impressed if Morison demonstrated that he understands the system we are trying to play doesn't work with the players he has available.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

Embarrassing? Not for me - a young man learning his trade and making mistakes along the way

This thread has become, in my humble opinion, a massive over reaction

Hope he doesn't read this board and if he does takes it with a huge pinch of salt

Who would you give it to in the summer then?

I hope Morison does enough to keep the job, as I at least like the direction he is trying to take us. If we are suddenly in the market for another manager, god knows who they'll give it to next time. If Morison comes good then at least we know it isn't another Warnock
    Well, my la la land appointment would be someone like Xabi Alonso, or not as far-fetched but still out of reach, Martin Demichelis at Bayern Munich II. Played in three different countries so I assume good contacts, including England (and against us in 2014 so he'll have heard of us at least). I've no idea if he's any good or the Argentinian Steve Morison but unless we interview all the names being thrown around there'll always be that negative bias. (I got those names from a google search).

I've heard SM speak and he strikes me as someone who has all the qualifications but would lack the imagination to build a pathway for the club. I'd throw Hudson and Purse into that bracket too.

I'm another who would be excited by the appointment Bellamy but again most of the evidence is from his own mouth (although also from his reputation at Anderlecht) and there might be 100 coaches out there of a similar ilk. It might be worth trying out Michael Beale again.

I agree there's a concern with our board and Mehmet will give it to some guy he met playing backgammon in Monte Carlo but that's also my fear they'll just give to Morison because it'll save them the bother looking anew.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I would be more impressed if Morison demonstrated that he understands the system we are trying to play doesn't work with the players he has available.
    I agree with this. There's one thing about getting players to play a certain way, to a certain formation, but I've always felt that the formation should suit the strengths of the players you have, rather than trying to shoehorn players to play in a certain formation.

I think this is particularly true of our 3 centre backs, where the old brigade are used to playing as part of a back 4. If most of them are likely to be going this summer, it makes little sense to try and get them to play as they are currently, but to play to their strengths and bring in centre backs during the summer that suit a back 3.

Harris, MM and Morison have all struggled with the rubbish Warnock signed.High wages and long contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Harris, MM and Morison have all struggled with the rubbish Warnock signed.High wages and long contracts.
    In the end, Warnock struggled with the rubbish he'd signed!

We’ve got a hybrid squad - half of it is cloggers from the old regime and the other half have come from the academy and are used to playing a possession style, so it’s not necessarily a case of there being an ideal system for the players we have.
    I think there’s a lot of overreacting here: we’re in transition and it’s not going to be easy or pretty.
    If Morrison went back to hoofball, there’d be a similar outcry on this board.
    I agree that his treatment of Davies was poor, but on the other hand, the recruitment policy shows the direction of travel for the playing style. These loan players will help our boys because they’ve come from clubs where the first team does more than just knock it long.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    We’ve got a hybrid squad - half of it is cloggers from the old regime and the other half have come from the academy and are used to playing a possession style, so it’s not necessarily a case of there being an ideal system for the players we have.
    I think there’s a lot of overreacting here: we’re in transition and it’s not going to be easy or pretty.
    I agree that his treatment of Davies was poor, but on the other hand, the recruitment policy shows the direction of travel for the playing style. These loan players will help our boys because they’ve come from clubs where the first team does more than just knock it long.

Agree.

Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In the end, Warnock struggled with the rubbish he'd signed!

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Exactly. It would be unfair to judge Morison since he's been using the bunch of he was left with

it would have been nice to try to change the playing style a few years ago, when we still had premier League money, and the senior players were a couple of years younger.

I thought we were showing signs of a return to hoofball against West Brom and Preston, but not on Saturday.

He's way out of his depth.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He's way out of his depth.
    Yep, he has no idea what to do when things go wrong

Unfortunately things go wrong all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Yep, he has no idea what to do when things go wrong

Unfortunately things go wrong all the time.
    Things start going wrong as soon as he puts his pen towards the team sheet

What is that saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?