Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I don't think there's any way Morison will be leaving in the next few months, so it's not worth getting too worked up about him for now. However, I can't argue with much of what you say and have noticed an increased tendency to stick with the tried, tested and failing this season at least senior pros who I'd say are most responsible for getting us in this mess. Yes, he's brought in one on loan youngster for another at wing back (thereby relegating Bagan back to the bench again) and it seems very likely that we will be signing a twenty year old central midfielder with a big reputation (but no first team starts for Hamburg while on loan there during the first half of the season I note), but will he bar Bowen's way back into first team contention?

Davies for Harris was a typically "safe", typically football Manager type of switch when you consider that the hard working, but under achieving, Collins was getting nowhere in his search for his first home goal nearly six months after his debut. Harris has been scoring goals more regularly and has plenty of experience playing as the attack leader in age group games, he was also doing well yesterday, but when one youngster comes on, it has to be another one that makes way it seems, because that's the way it's always been.

Colwill isn't a Wilson or Tomlin yet, but he's the closest thing we have to one at the moment and yet, Morison is placing less and less faith in him as time goes on it seems as his time on the pitch has declined in recent weeks. Who in yesterday's starting line up was going to provide that x factor, creativity now that we have lost Giles' crossing ability (Drameh did well in the first half in particular, but I saw nothing to suggest that his crossing was up to Giles' standard)?
I understand that Morison hasn't had a transfer window and it was previous managers and the board have stripped out all pace and creativity... Leaving us with a depleted squad devoid of pace and flair... relying ONLY on the youngsters to consistently deliver the flair needed to create chances was always a risky policy, if there has been any playing policy at all,

All of that is pretty well undeniable.

So while I don't blame Morison for the squad issues, he's certainly not helping himself.

At home, where we have such an appalling record, surely the team selection and formation should be more ambitious.

For me Davies (or Evans) has to start to add the zip and guile needed. Davies provided more crosses in his brief cameo yesterday than we had in the whole of game until he came on. With his little runs turn of pace he caused problems... Why o why can't we start like that.

Secondly, Vaulks offers very little in terms of an attacking force... Especially when we have 5 at the back and two other defensive minded players in a midfield 3. Starting with 8 defensive players, 9 if you include the keeper, puts an awful lot of pressure on the two front men.

Bring Vaulks on when we need to kill a game and he can run around, get booked, waste time and be a nuisance... But to start Vaulks when we need goals, especially at home, seems, actually, quite stupid, especially in light of an already defensive formation and team selection.

And even with better passing and possession... It doesn't equate to goals or chances if the team lacks guile and pace. Collins, who cuts a frustrating figure, drops deeper and wider to get involved due to the lack of final third quality. He works hard but in the wrong places.... I would say that as an attacking player myself, he would definitely love to spend less time fighting for the ball out wide and more time recieving the ball and making runs into the box.

The formation hasn't worked all season, hence our league position... Playing with essentially 9 defensive players in a negative formation and still conceding goal after goal... Is very McCarthy-esque.

I say the next few weeks are critical for Morison if he has any ambitions to be manager next season and not in league 1.

He needs to be brave and ambitious on the pitch.